Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving jobs , looking to rent in South Dublin

Options
  • 19-08-2014 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey there,

From September i'm starting a new job in the Central Park area and i'm looking for some renting / area advice.

I will move with my wife / 4 years old son so we are looking for a safe / quiet area for us with a budget of about 1300-1400 for a 2 bedroom flat.

Since the rental prices seems to go up again we are considering the Stepaside/ Bellarmine being the closest to our budget.

Can you guys provide more information's about these area mentioned above ? Can you suggest any other ones close to my working place -/+ 3 to 5 miles ?

Thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats actually a good budget. Personally I would avoid Stepaside / Belarmine, the newer developments are congested and have terrible issues with lack of parking for residents, also they lack some convenient facilities and have poor bus services. Also the schools are oversubscribed, should you require a place.

I would look at areas like Blackrock, Monkstown, Stillorgan even Dun Laoghaire. There are plenty of 2 bed properties for rent in mature areas near good transport within your budget and at a distance of 3/4 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dconstantin

Thanks for the reply , i will check the mentioned zones.

On the other hand i see most of the zones you mentioned having electrical heating systems. Isn't that going to drill a big hole in my wallet compared with gas heating for a 20-22 c temperature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks for the reply , i will check the mentioned zones.

On the other hand i see most of the zones you mentioned having electrical heating systems. Isn't that going to drill a big hole in my wallet compared with gas heating for a 20-22 c temperature ?

That really depends on the BER rating of the house. BER isn't foolproof, but can be used as a rough guide. An A-rated place will be better insulated/warmer than a D-rated place, and the ratings are usually listed in the ads. Most apartments in Ireland have electric (storage) heating rather than oil or gas fuelled central heating.

The storage heaters work by having a "night rate" electricity (usually half the price of the day rate), and the heaters power up at night and then release the heat during the day.

Thanks guys !

Another question, which comes up too late i guess, since i already accepted the job.

Will 48.000 per year will secure a basic/decent life style for a family of 3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Another question, which comes up too late i guess, since i already accepted the job.

Will 48.000 per year will secure a basic/decent life style for a family of 3 ?

You'll have to do your sums on that.
    Monthly salary -rent tax travel heat food entertainment school health.

I reckon your weekly grocery will he around the 100 mark.. id say health could average 50 per month.

I will bring home about 3100 monthly according to the online salary calculator i used, budgeted those money as :

1500 rent + utilities
    app 200 euro weekly for food etc
    leaving about 600 euro for savings / going out etc

Does it make sense ? :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I will bring home about 3100 monthly according to the online salary calculator i used, budgeted those money as :

1500 rent + utilities
    app 200 euro weekly for food etc
    leaving about 600 euro for savings / going out etc

Does it make sense ? :)

Thanks

Seems to all right. What about travelling expenses car/bus etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Take a look at private health insurance costs and pension payments as well. They're not obligatory, but many companies offer a subsidy towards them.

thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hooke and McDonald are advertising Dundrum View apartment complex in D14. Selection of 1, 2 ,3 bed apartments. The entire block is for rental

Thanks,

Already sent them an email, even if the price is a bit higher that what we were planning to spend on rent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Aldormanndiobla

You looked at Tullyvale?

hxxp://xxx.daft.ie/21472021

Its just 2 minutes walk away from the luas line and 10 minutes on the luas to central park.

Beechwood:

hxxp://xxx.daft.ie/21480939

It's about a 15 minute walk away from Central Park.

Beacon:

hxxp://xxx.daft.ie/21481431

15/20 minute walk.

Advertisement