Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Day Care

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have used them for their grooming and were put in the doggy day care afterwards so I only have a very small insight to them.

My friend uses their doggy day care every day. As far as I know there is 4 people working there. All the staff were very friendly and from what I could see of the dogs in the day care, seemed happy too! My dog is very nervous and the day care took this on board and told me that she sat in the daycare for 10 minutes until she knew my dog had settled. I thought that was quite nice of her.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can ask my friend his opinion. He will have a better response for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ash what do you mean she sat in daycare until she knew your dog had settled? is someone there with the dogs all the time?

Well you can see the daycare from the entrance and from the grooming area so I presume someone is there keeping an eye on the daycare all day anyway. In my case, the groomer went into the daycare enclosure with my dog as she was very nervous and sat with her in there. Only when she knew my dog was happy, then she left her to play with the other dogs. the rest of the time, I don't think the staff go into the enclosure unless they are going to collect a dog. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Again, I can get more accurate answers if needs be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ashbx wrote: »
    Well you can see the daycare from the entrance and from the grooming area so I presume someone is there keeping an eye on the daycare all day anyway. In my case, the groomer went into the daycare enclosure with my dog as she was very nervous and sat with her in there. Only when she knew my dog was happy, then she left her to play with the other dogs. the rest of the time, I don't think the staff go into the enclosure unless they are going to collect a dog. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Again, I can get more accurate answers if needs be!

Wow, if that is the case, thats not what I'd call daycare. So you think the dogs are left unattended in an enclosure, but someone can see them. If a fight broke out, how long would it take for someone to get into the dogs?

I could be completely wrong now but that's what it looked like to me. When I collected my dog, the guy who was on reception/till went into the enclosure to get Phoebe for me. I would assume if someone was already in the enclosure, they would have got my dog for me and passed it to the guy on reception. So by the looks of it (and could have been just that day) no-one is in the actual enclosure with them at all times.

Saying that, it would only take them 30 seconds to get into the enclosure. Its quite a petite place and the tills and grooming area are right beside the enclosure so it wouldn't take them long at all!

My friend actually works in the shops nearby and he loves this place. He's recently moved to Blackrock and still continues to use this day care . I walk past it every day and I do see a lot of people going to and from it aswel so they must be doing something right!!

If you are unsure, my best advice is to show up unexpectedly and ask to see the place then and there! That way you get to see them as they really are. I would go at an off peak time too so you can really see what they do when customers are not around. How many people are there? What are the dogs doing? Is there anyone in the enclosure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

muddypaws wrote: »
    Wow, if that is the case, thats not what I'd call daycare. So you think the dogs are left unattended in an enclosure, but someone can see them. If a fight broke out, how long would it take for someone to get into the dogs?

absolutely! and not even the all out fights, things like dogs picking on each other can make a dog miserable and can be hard to spot. In my view you need at least two people to run even the smallest of daycares, there needs to be someone on the floor with the dogs 100% of the time. So that means someone who can go out to reception to deal with drop offs and pick ups and someone whose only job it is to supervise and interact with the dogs.

In saying that, maybe that's exactly what happened with Ash, the daycare floor person is probably just there to look after the dogs and then the guy on reception does the drop offs and pick ups. So in fairness we don't know. But I would check it out OP.

Incidents happen literally in the blink of an eye and that is with staff standing right next to the dogs. There is no way I would leave my dogs anywhere there wasn't active supervision absolutely all of the time. I'd rather leave them at home TBH.

I agree, I wouldn't be too happy either. However, my information is not 100% and I am just telling you what I saw myself the one day that I was there and my sole reason for being there was the groomers and not the doggy day care. I don't want to be giving the day care a bad name because I could be completely wrong so please do check it out yourself.

They have recently opened a branch in Bray too so they must have some good customers if they are expanding! Please don't take my opinion as fact!

Advertisement