Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa help

Options
  • 19-08-2014 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I'm currently in the early stages of an application for a 457 visa. My employer Is paying most of it but is requesting I pay my visa fee and also my defacto visa. Can some one explain the following fees?
    "DIBP subsequent temporary visa application charge ($700 per person) including DIBP surcharge of 1.08%"
    "A Subsequent Temporary Visa Application Charge of AU$700 may also be payable in certain circumstances. There are additional DIBP fees payable for each dependent applicant."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this, but anyhow.

I just paid for my 457, my employer paid all his costs, it cost me $1046..

It would have been $1735 if I was on a 2nd year 417 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pacalchim

Thanks top madra
    I am on my 1st whv and I have to pay the visa fee of 1046. My partner is goin defacto on my visa too so she has the same fee. But they are requesting the mentioned temporary visa fee of $700 per person.

I've no idea then mate, give Immigration a ring and they will help you if someone else on here can't.

131881.....But be prepared to wait, I was waiting for over a hour to get through the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Last year they introduced $700 onshore processing fee, if you were applying from outside oz you needn't pay it.

catbear wrote: »
    Last year they introduced $700 onshore processing fee, if you were applying from outside oz you needn't pay it.

1. Sponsorship setup: $420 (employer)
    2. Nomination of your role: $330 (employer)
    3. Visa application: $1,035 (or $1,735 if you applied for your current 417 visa in Australia)

I didn't have to pay $700, unless my employer picked up the tab for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It came in after July 2013, did you get yours before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

top madra wrote: »
    1. Sponsorship setup: $420 (employer)
    2. Nomination of your role: $330 (employer)
    3. Visa application: $1,035 (or $1,735 if you applied for your current 417 visa in Australia)

I didn't have to pay $700, unless my employer picked up the tab for that too.

I believe $700 processing fee is only applied to application of a second onshore visa, obviously your on first WHV which was applied offshore.

Not sure about OP situation as they mentioned first WHV but also it depends on visa history.

catbear wrote: »
    It came in after July 2013, did you get yours before then?
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I believe $700 processing fee is only applied to application of a second onshore visa, obviously your on first WHV which was applied offshore.

Not sure about OP situation as they mentioned first WHV but also it depends on visa history.

Ya I'm still on my first WHV, my bad.

top madra wrote: »
    Ya I'm still on my first WHV, my bad.

Hence like you said yerself if you had applied for a 2nd or were on 2nd WHV you would have been up for $1735

Thanks for the replies
    Yea so myself and my partner are currently on our 1st 417 visa which was obviously applied for in ireland and doesn't expire until January 2015. So my 457 visa will be my1st onshore application? Which means We shouldn't be charged the $700 fees?is this correct?

• Advertisement

Pacalchim wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies
    Yea so myself and my partner are currently on our 1st 417 visa which was obviously applied for in ireland and doesn't expire until January 2015. So my 457 visa will be my1st onshore application? Which means We shouldn't be charged the $700 fees?is this correct?

You did mention in your first post
    "A Subsequent Temporary Visa Application Charge of AU$700 may also be payable in certain circumstances. There are additional DIBP fees payable for each dependent applicant."

You may is not the same as you will.

in your case your you are same as Madra, except your partner will be charged the additional applicant fee.

You may is not the same as you will.

in your case your you are same as Madra, except your partner will be charged the additional applicant fee.[/quote]

Cheers thanks for your input. The visa agency have requested the afore mentioned fees via email. Looks like there was a mistake somewhere.

Pacalchim wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for your input. The visa agency have requested the afore mentioned fees via email. Looks like there was a mistake somewhere.

Maybe they are pulling a fast one? or they are just dumb.
    The subsequent temporary application charge applies to certain temporary visas.

This charge is payable by each person in your application and is based on their individual visa history. The subsequent temporary application charge, if applicable, is payable in addition to any other visa charges that apply to your visa application at the time of lodgement.

This charge is not paid for the following visa application:

bridging, criminal justice or enforcement
    permanent.
    Exemptions for the subsequent temporary application charge

The subsequent temporary application charge will not be charged for applications where at least one of the following applies:

the base application charge for your application is nil
    the visa pricing table does not show a subsequent temporary application charge
    the visa pricing table shows the subsequent temporary application charge as nil
    the visa pricing table shows the subsequent temporary application charge as N/A
    the applicant is outside Australia while making their substantive temporary visa application
    the applicant is making their first substantive temporary visa application in Australia
    the subsequent temporary application charge formula evaluates the charge to nil.
    How to calculate the subsequent temporary application charge

The subsequent temporary application charge is calculated for each applicant.

Definitions

Operation of law - Some visas are granted by operation of law. This may include:

some Special Persons visas
    Enforcement visas
    Absorbed Persons visas
    Ex citizen visas
    visas granted to newborn babies.
    Substantive visa means a visa other than:

a bridging visa
    a criminal justice visa
    an enforcement visa.

Table 1 - Temporary visas being applied for

Visa subclass Title
    401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)
    402 Training and Research - Occupational Trainee stream
    402 Training and Research – Research stream
    416 Special Program
    420 Temporary Work (Entertainment)
    457 Temporary Work (Skilled)
    462 Work and Holiday
    570 Independent ELICOS Sector
    571 Schools Sector
    572 Vocational Education and Training Sector
    573 Higher Education Sector
    575 Non-Award Sector
    580 Student Guardian
    600 Visitor
    676 Tourist

Table 2 - Previous visas applied for in Australia

Visa subclass Title
    401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)
    402 Training and Research - Occupational Trainee stream
    402 Training and Research – Research stream
    411 Exchange
    415 Foreign Government Agency
    416 Special Program
    417 Working Holiday
    419 Visiting Academic
    420 Temporary Work (Entertainment)
    421 Sport
    422 Medical Practitioner
    423 Media and Film Staff
    426 Domestic Worker - Diplomatic and Consular
    427 Domestic Worker - Executive
    428 Religious Worker
    442 Occupational Trainee
    457 Temporary Work (Skilled)
    462 Work and Holiday
    570 Independent ELICOS Sector
    571 Schools Sector
    572 Vocational Education and Training Sector
    573 Higher Education Sector
    574 Post-Graduate Research Sector
    575 Non-Award Sector
    576 Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector
    580 Student Guardian
    600 Visitor
    602 Medical Treatment
    676 Tourist
    685 Medical Treatment (Long Stay)

From what you have posted

1, YES (applying for 457)
    2, YES (In Australia on a 417)
    3, No (Applied for 417 in Ireland) --> $0

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Maybe they are pulling a fast one? or they are just dumb.
    Sadly both of these are likely scenarios.

OP, Mandrakes breakdown looks spot on. Point this out the the visa agent. Don;t accept bullshit in return

Yea I've got it sorted.
    Everything that has been posted here is correct. I had to explain why I should be exempt from the fee though which is pretty poor on there behalf.

Advertisement