Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theory test required?

• 19-08-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting back into bikes. I had a little 125 about 6 years ago and passed my A1 test so have full A1 licence.

I want to get an A learners permit and I'm wondering do I need to do another theory test? Where could I find out? NDLS? RSA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Pretty sure you don't have to do it at all. I was in the exact same situation as you last year. I went and done my theory again only to be told in NDLS centre that I didn't need to as I done the bike one in 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Trebob wrote: »
    Pretty sure you don't have to do it at all. I was in the exact same situation as you last year. I went and done my theory again only to be told in NDLS centre that I didn't need to as I done the bike one in 2001.

Sounds good. I just don't want to be turned around when I turn up and have them say I need to go away and do a theory test too! I'll see can I ring someone at NDLS and find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Sounds good. I just don't want to be turned around when I turn up and have them say I need to go away and do a theory test too! I'll see can I ring someone at NDLS and find out.

Your old cert would only be kept live if you had a valid full 'b' licence. Ring ndls to check your file: 0761087880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

NDLS are pretty inconsistent about this. I recently got a provisional A having just a full B and didn't do a theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

gerrowadat wrote: »
    NDLS are pretty inconsistent about this. I recently got a provisional A having just a full B and didn't do a theory test.

Are you saying you got an A licence without doing a theory test because you have a full car licence?

• Advertisement

The old car theory test before October 2006 had the bike entitlement included on it (AM, B, W) So anyone who got a learner permit and later a full licence for the car has an entitlement for bikes. Anyone who got 1st car permit after November 2006 (or prior to 2001 when the theory test was introduced) does not generally have a bike entitlement and would have to do an 'am' bike theory test. A simple check of when you got your first permit can determine what you are entitled to e.g. Driver A passed car theory test in 2003. Passed his full test in 2007. He is now 25 and can apply for a learner permit in all bike classes. Driver B did car theory test (B,W only) in 2007. Passed his driving test in 2010. As a new bike theory test was introduced after 2006, driver B would need to do a bike theory test if he now wants a bike permit. Some people forget they ever even did a theory test as it could have been up to 13 years ago at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Vologda69 wrote: »
    The old car theory test before October 2006 had the bike included on it. So anyone who got a learner permit and later licence for the car has an entitlement for bikes. Anyone who got 1st car permit after November 2006 (or prior to 2001) does not have a bike entitlement and would have to do 'AM' their test.

Oh right i was on my 2nd provisional (car) in 2001, thought i was after getting lucky there

swift220 wrote: »
    Oh right i was on my 2nd provisional (car) in 2001, thought i was after getting lucky there

You would be surprised. Make sure NDLS do proper search of your driver file. And ask them to search for any theory tests you might have done in the past.

Advertisement