Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing line in estate

Options
  • 19-08-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Some new people moved into the estate where we live. They have erected a washing line as you go out of the estate. It looks awful, underwear, in full view etc I don't know if the new people are aware how visible it is and everyone can see it. there are a few creches in the estate so there is a lot of traffic. Does anyone know the rules can we say anything? One person on the residents committee said there is no way anything can be said but a lot of people in the estate hate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is it in their front garden that they have put it thats in view or have they and end house with side garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

Slip an anonymous note through the letterbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Unless there's a specific rule against it, regardless of how many people hate it, there's nothing you can do, they're entitled to hang clothes out to dry, assuming it's in their garden.

Find out from the residents committee if such a rule exists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Assuming its within their garden and assuming there's no rules in the estate that residence must agree to then I don't see what you can do in such a situation. I guess one persons unsightly view is another persons environmentally friendly way of drying clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I know where you are talking about, yeah they are new, I assume they aren't aware how in view it is, they would probably be embarrassed if they new.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭buiscuit2168

Is it in their front garden that they have put it thats in view or have they and end house with side garden?

Its at end house at side in their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I do not mean to comment but I feel this is a little sad, so sad in fact, come on they are being green not using electricity, and shock horror underwear on the line.
    It is a free country is it not? Really lads, if it was dog poo on the street or rubbish building up, yes but look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Get a grip, its laundry!

I do not mean to comment but I feel this is a little sad, so sad in fact, come on they are being green not using electricity, and shock horror underwear on the line.
    It is a free country is it not? Really lads, if it was dog poo on the street or rubbish building up, yes but look in the mirror.

OK just getting a feel to see if it would bother other people. I now it seems as if there are more important issues in life.

I live around the corner from it. I put a rotary line in the back garden out of view of the public and put a trellis around it for my wife. I am in favour of preserving the environment but it should be in the back garden like everyone else.

The other estate/houses I have openly seen clothes flapping in the wind is the houses beside McDonalds.

Most days on my way to work I have to look at it. It is not in keeping with the estate. I will have to check with the residents association. I know if a management company were in charge they wouldn't allow it.

• Advertisement

OK just getting a feel to see if it would bother other people. I now it seems as if there are more important issues in life.

I live around the corner from it. I put a rotary line in the back garden out of view of the public and put a trellis around it for my wife. I am in favour of preserving the environment but it should be in the back garden like everyone else.

The other estate/houses I have openly seen clothes flapping in the wind is the houses beside McDonalds.

Most days on my way to work I have to look at it. It is not in keeping with the estate. I will have to check with the residents association. I know if a management company were in charge they wouldn't allow it.

You're Hyacinth Bucket, aren't you?!

Honestly, it's clothes drying on a line, it hardly makes the place look like a refugee camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I hate them as well but if its in there back garden there is nothing you can do about it even if there is a management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Jesus, what are you drying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Laundry on display, that'll will knock a good 20k off house prices there. Get a shunning committee together quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

xabi wrote: »
    Get a grip, its laundry!

But but the creches and the children! If the children see underwear drying it might scar them for life. They may even grow up to start wearing underwear themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I would have more of a problem with a creche than underwear drying,assuming that its nice underwear,not granny knickers or horrible marks and spencers stripy mans underwear.
    Cant stand noisy screaming children,the creche should use washable nappies too and hang them on a line as well,thats good for the environment,so are condoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mary63 wrote: »
    I would have more of a problem with a creche than underwear drying,assuming that its nice underwear,not granny knickers or horrible marks and spencers stripy mans underwear.
    Cant stand noisy screaming children,the creche should use washable nappies too and hang them on a line as well,thats good for the environment,so are condoms.

On first reading I thought you wash your condoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Slip an anonymous note through the letterbox?

Maybe you could take the clothes off the line and post them through the letterbox.

I think you might be right, I am sure there used to be washable ones, by the way please don't knock M&S I just love their pork pies and scotch eggs, my underwear etc did have a tag that said St Michael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 9863

Maybe you should approach the house owner yourself in stead of sending anonymous letters I'm sure they are very approachable. In my view what you are doing is a form of bulling.

How am I bullying? True, it is up to people what they put in their back-garden, just find it strange that people would want everyone to view all their laundry.

I am only sounding what others think, I didn't say I sent a letter, and I wouldn't send an anonymous letter anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How am I bullying? True, it is up to people what they put in their back-garden, just find it strange that people would want everyone to view all their laundry.

I am only sounding what others think, I didn't say I sent a letter, and I wouldn't send an anonymous letter anyway.

Everyone I know wears clothes. Most even wear underwear. I prefer mine dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 9863

Sorry I meant bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Would you prefer they didn't wash at all? If that was the case you'd be the first to leave a washing line outside their house!!

Is it the washing line or the residents you feel are undesirable?

I doubt that they want everyone to see their washing. You make it sound like they've got some sort of fetish. They're probably just drying clothes on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

NSFW (Probably)

http://bit.ly/1vgnZLB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Lucena wrote: »
    I doubt that they want everyone to see their washing. You make it sound like they've got some sort of fetish. They're probably just drying clothes on the line.

I think the point the OP is making, they could lower it not take it down completely.

Leave it off, it is effing laundry, we all wear clothes, I reckon anyone with a problem of washing on a line needs to see a good psychologist, next it will be the colour of your car doesn't go with the neighbourhood or the curtains are the wrong colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rathevan

Maybe thats the part of their garden where the sun shines most of the day. I have a son with asthma and try to dry most of clothes outdoors because I cant have a clothes horse in the house and it costs a fortune to have the tumble dryer going as often as i have to. If there is any bit of sun, I try to get my washing out, even if its only for a short time and to be honest if someone knocked on my door to say they could see my laundry, I'd probably laugh at them.

Advertisement