Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walter o'brien Callan

Options
  • 19-08-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi, just read some bits on one of Callans sons who apparently is one of the brainiest people in the world,
    Callan as charming as it is needs a world beater and this lad hacked US computers whilst living in the town.
    Never heard anything about him or his family, presume he went to Callan boy's, does anyone know exactly where they lived and the teachers involved.
    It sounds like a fairy tale story, apparently there has been a bit on KCR, appreciate any info, we need a hero Callan is great.
    Foxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

probably a script kiddie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

sorry but could you explain that please, appreciated Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

The O'Brien's moved from somewhere in Wexford to Kilmanagh about 20 years ago if I remember correctly, he was in secondary school at the time, and spent 6th year in Kierans(possibly 5th year as well).

Wow that sounds interesting, so did he ever go to school in Callan, it appears amazing the lads name was if you like over-looked. Any idea of the actual location of the farm and what happened to the parents, Thanks Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

More info, for those who are wondering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Wow that sounds interesting, so did he ever go to school in Callan, it appears amazing the lads name was if you like over-looked. Any idea of the actual location of the farm and what happened to the parents, Thanks Foxy

He just finished off secondary school in Kierans. He used to get the bus from Ballykeeffe into town and pretty much kept to himself on the bus. I didn't know him, he was a year or so ahead of me and I didn't go to Kierans.

<snip>

The parents still live there and still have horses I think.

I had to laugh when I saw this article on the Irish Times reporting of a drama series based on his life.

Fair play to him though, I wish him all the best.

Thanks pretty good stuff, thanks for the info, you tube has a lot of interviews if you want to go down that route, it makes interesting listening.
    To be honest self made people of his calibre have a lot to give, in terms of encouraging the current and future generations.
    The house looks newish, a lot more than 20 to 25 years old, if we go back that far they must have been quite wealthy, unless that is where the parents now live.
    Someone must know him quite well in Ballykeefe/Callan might as well make the most of a famous son of Callan, never know we might have others who have achieved and have not received recognition.
    I agree we wish him the best of luck and very very well done Walter.
    Foxy
    Sorry missed the bit about the parents still there and horses, must be proud people, well done mum and dad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not really Callan though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

What are you saying? It certainly isn't Kilkenny, Apparently not quite Kilmanagh, we put up with James Hoban being tagged somewhere he wasn't.
    Walter is large, and okay you might try and take something away from our town, not going to let you. Foxy standing firm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Upon consultation and reflection, I think it is inappropriate to pinpoint the location of Walter O'Brien's parents home as they are still living there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Heard Sue Nun interviewing him last week. It was cringeworthy. Car crash radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Heard Sue Nun interviewing him last week. It was cringeworthy. Car crash radio.

Let me guess, compulsory GAA references about conflicted wexford/kilkenny loyalties etc...

catbear wrote: »
    Let me guess, compulsory GAA references about conflicted wexford/kilkenny loyalties etc...

And at the end of the "interview" she brought on an old teacher of his who he couldn't remember. His career guidance teacher....:eek: Epic Fail ..again by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Faces and palms on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Being interviewed on Today FM at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Good interview with Pat Kenny on Newstalk.

earlytobed wrote: »
    Being interviewed on Today FM at the moment

Will podcast it later. Did it compare to Sue Nunns interview:rolleyes:

I do not know about you; but, I think Callan should be proud of Walter, if nothing else he will have put the name of our town on the map, perhaps it should be Kilkenny near Callan?
    Walter is the future, okay he is endowed with a fantastic IQ, but he took the computer and made it his own, he did not sit back he took the world in both hands and now the world is his.
    So anyone who says it is difficult to get on just remind them of Walter O'Brien, Superman.
    I am very proud of Walter O'Brien.
    Foxy, not sure what my IQ is.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I do not know about you; but, I think Callan should be proud of Walter, if nothing else he will have put the name of our town on the map, perhaps it should be Kilkenny near Callan?
    Walter is the future, okay he is endowed with a fantastic IQ, but he took the computer and made it his own, he did not sit back he took the world in both hands and now the world is his.
    So anyone who says it is difficult to get on just remind them of Walter O'Brien, Superman.
    I am very proud of Walter O'Brien.
    Foxy, not sure what my IQ is.

was in kierans same time as Walter, he was always..."different" harmless though and never had a bad word about anyone or bothered anyone just got on with his own stuff....
    generally though...I always prefer to be told how amazing people are by people other than them selves...so far the only source of info on walter's superhuman abilities is himself...just saying....Im sure its all true...

Advertisement