Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chainset Maintenence

• 19-08-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Folks, how often do you change your Chain-rings ?.

I replace my chain when my Park Tool Wear Indicator (brilliant piece of kit) indicates between 0.5% and 0.75% stretch. I replace the cassette with every second chain (some people replace it with every chain).

But to date I've never replaced my chain-rings. And I don't even know how to detect if they are excessively worn. Some people have indicated a 12,000 km max life on the chain-ring.

Why do you do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Keep doing what your doing and the chain rings should last a lifetime
    ("If it ain't broken...don't fix it")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I replaced my 5 year old 20-30,000km middle ring recently but only because I wanted a 39t instead of the original 42t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The teeth on the chainring become sharper and narrower with wear -you get a shark tooth look to them. I usually find the big ring wears more but I replace both together - I'd get about 20-25k from them which is equivalent to three years/three chains/one cassette. I'm not sure exactly how to check the cassette other than looking for similar wear patterns but 25k feels about right.

See http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/03/how-to-check-for-chain-wear/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I changed chainrings on my MTB when they were worn out. The had a shark fin profile and I got a lot of chain suck - the chain stays stuck to the ring as it rotates instead of disengaging, causing the wheel to lock. That was after about 3 years use in all weathers and vesy sandy soil. ( I also got through 3 BB's in that time).
    Haven't changed a road bike chainring yet after approx 8000K on each bike I own

Advertisement