Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find the LAN events forum?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Once upon a time, there was a LAN events forum under Games, but it seems to have gone. Any idea where it is? Looking to get some info from it on what hotels have been used in the past, as someone I know is looking to hold a large work LAN gaming event (more than a "home event", but not quite "midlans" size). Also to see if any of them still work in companies that one could hire to set up a LAN, as we have no switches or swaths of cabling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

LAN Parties & Competitive Gaming forums were merged last November and rebranded as "Events & Tournaments".

In July this year, the Events & Tournaments forum was retired due to lack of activity. Here is what the Games CMod said to me at the time:
    We have come to the conclusion that the forum is simply obsolete at this stage. Any tournaments or events these days, tend to be organised in whatever forum caters to that specific subject matter, ie fighting games, arcade & retro etc. The days of big LAN tournies etc has passed, & this is reflected in how quiet & dead the forum is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Events & Tournaments (which used to be called LAN Events or something like that) was retired a while back. Been far too long since I've had a chance to go to a LAN party :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr E wrote: »
    LAN Parties & Competitive Gaming forums were merged last November and rebranded as "Events & Tournaments".
    Ah grand. With said speific date, I can use the WayBackMachine. Aye, back in the day, before decent Broadband, LAN's were awesome, esp the late night net cafes in Dublin. When half decent 1 meg broadband started coming in, these started dying out, and now with full broadband, LANs are pretty much dead.

Angron Cherryghost used to do a LAN event in NetCafé in Athlone, but AFAIK, he's in another job now. Maybe an idea to contact NetCafé directly and check if they still do LANs? Esp with the students back shortly, there may be a demand for one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement