Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed (Beware of moaning)

• 19-08-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Im basically going to be a moanbag before i ask for my help... Upon receiving my LC results i was delighted with what i got and thought ah lovely arts in UCD here I come only to be told there'd be no place for me to do HISTORY and IRISH because English and Irish are the only languages I speak, What f**king use is German or French in an irish speaking scenario, although this is a fault of my own and after misreading the minimum requirements it's my own fault, so after receiving absolutely ZERO offers off of my CAO I was heavily relying on the Trinity Access Program to give myself any chance of attending a university this year, speaking to a girl in my year she was in the same situation although she was nearly 100 points ahead of me in results with 435 (to my 360) She had received none of her CAO offers and so too was relying on TAP... Only today did I find out that she, with her 435 has been offered a TAP place.. Now I have no problem with her receiving her place although when speaking to the TAP representatives before I was informed that higher points are unlikely to receive an offer for TAP as they don't really need it but there we have it apparently 360 is higher than 435... Now I know I sound bitter and jealous and maybe I am but i feel like i've been cheated out of college and a chance to progress without the use of a PLC which I very much do not want to do (As i've met every requirement for my 1st choice except for the unnecessary 3rd language) But as things stand a PLC is the only thing i'm gonna get as i'm willing to bet 100€ CAO 2nd rounds wont offer me anything and TAP 2nd rounds wont offer me anything either.... So with my whinging rant over I was just wondering has the window to apply for PLCs closed or can I still apply? Cheers and soz 4 ze MoanIIIIIIiiiiin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can still apply but make sure you read the small print and find a PLC that is accepted for progression to the course you want.

Wihtout wanting to add to your rant, I'm sure you're aware the TAP (as with others) takes much more into account than just the points in the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AsylumWaffle

spurious wrote: »
    You can still apply but make sure you read the small print and find a PLC that is accepted for progression to the course you want.

Wihtout wanting to add to your rant, I'm sure you're aware the TAP (as with others) takes much more into account than just the points in the Leaving.

Oh yeah, I know there's a financial background etc... But received an e-mail the other day to confirm I was completely eligible, I'm just being sour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You could always take the year out and take up French/German/Spanish for the year to get a pass at Ordinary Level and reapply to the CAO next year.

I don't understand how you didn't know about the language requirement. It's fairly universally known that a foreign language is an entry requirement for NUI colleges except for a few courses (mainly Engineering and Science). Was this not pointed out at school?

Did you do a language for Junior Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AsylumWaffle

You could always take the year out and take up French/German/Spanish for the year to get a pass at Ordinary Level and reapply to the CAO next year.

I don't understand how you didn't know about the language requirement. It's fairly universally known that a foreign language is an entry requirement for NUI colleges except for a few courses (mainly Engineering and Science). Was this not pointed out at school?

Did you do a language for Junior Cert?

I hadn't read into the course completely as my guidance councillor had informed me "nah they've scrapped that whole 3rd language malarkey" stuck in a right aul pickle here

I hadn't read into the course completely as my guidance councillor had informed me "nah they've scrapped that whole 3rd language malarkey" stuck in a right aul pickle here

:eek::eek::eek: FFS, they have one job.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I'm not sure if this is any help but if you applied for both Goldsmith and the Liberties it's two seperate offers, I got an email saying I didn't receive Goldsmith and then the next day a letter saying I had been offered a place in the Liberties

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is any help but if you applied for both Goldsmith and the Liberties it's two seperate offers, I got an email saying I didn't receive Goldsmith and then the next day a letter saying I had been offered a place in the Liberties

She applied for ARTS not Art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

She applied for ARTS not Art.

Yeah I know I was referring to the TAP situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

My advice would be to take the year off, get a job/volunteer and sit the LC exam for a language next year to fulfil the requirement.*

I know it feels like the world is at an end because everybody you know is going on to pastures new, but believe me, in a year's time, that won't make the slightest bit of difference.

*I have no idea what the trend is re. points for Arts in recent years. I'd imagine it's fairly stable...?

Advertisement