Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafting a Will

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:22am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, looking some for advice.

Our baby is a month old now, so we want to get a will sorted in the event that something bad was to happen to us.

However as is to be expected we cant agree on who to pick.

My wife has 5 sisters, one is about to get married and has 2 kids but frankly she is a lazy person and i wouldn't want her raising my child, she pawns her eldest off to her sisters as much as possible so she doesnt have to do anything, it's telling that when the eldest is upset he calls for his aunty rather than his mother.

The rest are celtic tiger cubs, no work ethic etc and again not someone i would like to be setting an example for my child.

I have one brother, he had a baby when he was 22, he's just 26 now. While he was a bit of an ass when he was growing up & we didnt get one particularly well, once he had his baby he matured and we have a pretty good relationship now. He also has a pretty good job( is now a very driven individual) and his partner is a nurse and they have a stable relationship though can still be immature and not realise their depth of responsibilities.

Neither set of grandparents are options.

So.. how the hell do you pick?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No one is ever going to take care of your child like you would. It'll never be good enough. The best you can go with is a home where you're reasonably certain they will be loved.

We went with my parents in law, as our siblings have no families as of yet.

You can always change down the line again. To be honest, there are some friends of ours that I would seriously consider now a few years down the line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No one is ever going to take care of your child like you would. It'll never be good enough. The best you can go with is a home where you're reasonably certain they will be loved.

We went with my parents in law, as our siblings have no families as of yet.

You can always change down the line again. To be honest, there are some friends of ours that I would seriously consider now a few years down the line.

Yes, I would consider friends aswell but in the first instance we are looking at family, some friends have kids and would imagine in the next 2/3 years the rest will so it's probably something we look at again i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

This is also something I'm trying to sort out at the minute. I think it's more guardianship you are trying to sort out and making sure your assets go to your baby through your will.

I'm a single mother and I do not want her father bringing her up if something happens me as he is very unpredictable and not dependable financially or emotionally. I'm going with my gut and who I have seen has doted on my daughter since she was born which would be my sister and my brother. I am conscious that down the line they will both have families of their own and that my daughter would have company in terms of other children to play with and to be part of a family unit.

From reading your post, your brother sounds like the most viable option for you. He is still young too so his maturity will grow in time. He also has a child so he should have a good grasp of parenthood already.

It really is a minefield. Good luck with it all. It's really best to get these issues sorted out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Whoever you chose make sure that it is something that they are willing to do. have you spoken about this to any of them?

My best friend has a 18 month old and the 3 of us live in the same apartment. If anything were to happen to her I would get guardianship and not my friends parents or her brother, so it does not have to be a family member if you think there is someone you would rather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kitten_k wrote: »
    Whoever you chose make sure that it is something that they are willing to do. have you spoken about this to any of them?

My best friend has a 18 month old and the 3 of us live in the same apartment. If anything were to happen to her I would get guardianship and not my friends parents or her brother, so it does not have to be a family member if you think there is someone you would rather.

no actually :eek:, myself & my wife are down as guardians if something was to happen to him and his partner, so i would imagine there'd be no issues.

The sister in law would do it to, all be it she'd probably pawn our daughter off at every opportunity :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement