Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste disposal

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

We've just bought a house out in the sticks but only about 12 mins drive to Sligo. Its actually in Co. Leitrim and I contacted Leitrim Co. Co. to get advice on waste collection in the area. They directed me to Barna waste who seem to be our only option. I have a couple of questions/problems:

1) Our house is up a narrow lane that they don't come up so that means a 500m trek down a steep hill to leave the bins out. Is there a way to attach wheelie bins to a car? I don't have a tow bar so a solution that doesn't require one would be great! Failing that I can get a tow bar for the car but what if anything is available?

2) Its going to be a few weeks before we get our bins so what can I do with my waste in the meantime? I know I can bring items for recycling to a number of recycle centers but what about our non-recyclable black bin waste? We have a baby so there is going to be quite a build up over the next few weeks! We don't really have anywhere to store this outside of the house.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You could just leave the bins at the pick up spot. Chain them to something and bring your rubbish down on the way out.

You can bring refuse to the Greenstar place on Deepwater Quay. If I were you I'd burn as much as I could until I get the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

I can't really chain at the end of the road because there are two other house there so it would be a bit unfair and untidy to leave it there permenantly.

Do you know the cost of using the facility in Sligo for waste disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Josieg wrote: »
    I can't really chain at the end of the road because there are two other house there so it would be a bit unfair and untidy to leave it there permenantly.

Do you know the cost of using the facility in Sligo for waste disposal?

Its about €5/6 per black bag, or if you use the weighbridge its €5/6 for every 20kg.

First time I used it, I had 5/6 bags and a few boxes, person in office suggested the weighbridge, and have asked if I can use it each time I have gone down since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Barna keep pestering me by text to keep my pay as you go account topped up by at least €20 when I have less than €10 in account. Don't need to pay the surcharge of €20 until October and only put grey bin out every 2 months. keep the account in credit is the important thing is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

prodsc wrote: »
    Barna keep pestering me by text to keep my pay as you go account topped up by at least €20 when I have less than €10 in account. Don't need to pay the surcharge of €20 until October and only put grey bin out every 2 months. keep the account in credit is the important thing is it not?
    I get those texts too. Last one was that my balance was €18.75 and to top up!! I'll get a month out of that credit so won't be topping up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

Josieg wrote: »
    Is there a way to attach wheelie bins to a car?

Hi there,
    There is a way to do this - search for "Tobin Wheelie bin" on DoneDeal.
    Simple gadget but very effective!
    FF

Advertisement