Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD accomodation deposit

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Does anybody know if I get offered on-campus accommodation and pay my deposit, could I get a refund if I change my mind before the firsts semester's accommodation fees are due?

The site says there's a 10% charge if you cancel before August, which doesn't make sense to me because the offers come out tomorrow? www(dot)ucd.ie/residences/residential-services/policies-and-procedures-repository/refund-policy/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

The 10% refund before the start of August refers to continuing years and international students. I'm assuming you're an incoming first year since the offers begin for you tomorrow.

Not sure how refunds work for first years but even if you lose the €350 and find somewhere else, it might end up cheaper. But fees are due pretty soon, the 1st I think? So you don't have much time left.

If you haven't found somewhere else to stay it will be extremely hard at this late stage. I've been searching for somewhere since May and have had no luck. Granted, I was being a bit picky in that I wanted somewhere within walking distance, but still no luck. If you get offered campus tomorrow you would be clever just to take it for easiness. So many people are still homeless by the time term starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

mhangasor wrote: »
    The 10% refund before the start of August refers to continuing years and international students. I'm assuming you're an incoming first year since the offers begin for you tomorrow.

Not sure how refunds work for first years but even if you lose the €350 and find somewhere else, it might end up cheaper. But fees are due pretty soon, the 1st I think? So you don't have much time left.

If you haven't found somewhere else to stay it will be extremely hard at this late stage. I've been searching for somewhere since May and have had no luck. Granted, I was being a bit picky in that I wanted somewhere within walking distance, but still no luck. If you get offered campus tomorrow you would be clever just to take it for easiness. So many people are still homeless by the time term starts!

My problem here is finding the cash to pay the fees for accommodation on time. I can't get a loan until I have proof that I've accepted my course and that I am getting a grant, because that hasn't been fully processed yet. If I accept a place tomorrow and pay the deposit but can't find the cash to pay the fees on time I'd rather not lose €400.

Advertisement