Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Besiktas vs Arsenal (ITV1 and TV3) KO: 19:45

• 19-08-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭

0.jpg

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY OFF FIRST LEG

Venue: Ataturk Olympic Stadium

Kick off: 19:45 BST

Arsenal go back to Istanbul again looking to get a foot in the door in the group stages of the Champions League. It won’t be easy that’s for sure! Team news to follow when available. The game is live on ITV1 and TV3.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28784340

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hopefully we can put them to the sword tonight so the three germans can start next week and ease themselves back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hope so too! Have to watch Ba though! He got a hat-trick against Feyenoord in the previous round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

My own preseason starts tonight so this is a sky plus job!

2-0 to the Arsenal with a Giroud brace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can't see Arsenal losing this. Surely not?

Can't see Arsenal losing this. Surely not?

This game? Maybe.

The tie? Very unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure we can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Want to see Campbell and the ox running riot tonight, the perfect stage to introduce Campbell imo and with the pace those 2 will bring we could easily grab an early goal or two and take it easy. A hard fought battle tonight is something we do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

This could be a tricky tie... We need a good result tonight, as in, a good win to bring back to the Emirates. Come on the Gunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hopefully Arsenal to come away with a clean sheet victory and the Arsenal fans to come away not after being stabbed.

Hopefully Arsenal to come away with a clean sheet victory and the Arsenal fans to come away not after being stabbed.

I think we have to choose one or the other i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Szczesny
    Debuchy----Chambers---Per----Monreal
    Flamini---Ramsey
    Ox
    Cazorla
    Sanchez
    Giroud

Is the team i'd lie to see. Arteta won't have the legs for Palaca, tonight & Everton all in a row so give Flamini the game tonight as will probably suit him better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Per didn't travel I don't think?

He sure did.

Yep, no reason he shouldn't play either considering the majority of other Germans are back playing and he didn't even play the final and only half the Semi-Final.

Better that than risking a semi-crocked Koscielny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He sure did.

Nah he didn't, Kos did though

[edit] link http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/gibbs-to-miss-three-weeks-mertesacker-stays-home/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah right, yeah I would rather he start instead of Kosc if he is there for sure to make sure Kosc is fit for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fair point Per didnt have the toughest WC, he should be fresh out.

Hmm, 100% read somewhere today that Sanogo didn't travel(thank god) but mert was there if needed.

Yeah same though it was just Gibbs & Sanogo that didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wouldnt mind seeing Bellerin get a game he looks the real deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I really don't rate Monreal defensively, I think he's an accident waiting to happen. Think it's called Sendrositis (having said that he played really well for Villa at the weekend).

I'd like to rest Rambo. Don't need another repeat of last year when overplaying him led to his injury. It's not like we haven't got enough midfielders.

This team should still beat or at least not lose to Besiktas.

Szczesny
    Bellerin----Chambers---Per----Debuchy
    Flamini---Carzola
    Campbell
    Ox
    Sanchez
    Giroud

This is the team i'd like to see, with run outs for Bellerin,Carzola and Giroud.

I think the back 4 is self explanatory Both Arteta and Ramsey should be rested imo, with Flam and Wilshere who needs game time coming in.

Ox and Sanchez on wings for killer pace with Campbell getting a chance to shine up front. Rosicky ahead of Carzola because he played soooo bad on sat, plus Rosicky is always great especially in europe. Bellerin gets a run out if were comfortable, carzola with a chance to rebuild his confidence 10-20 mins and Giroud gets a run out for fitness.

Aren't you all glad i'm no the Arsenal manager :D

Szczesny
    Debuchy----Chambers---Kos----Monreal
    Flamini---Wilshere
    The Ox
    Rosicky
    Sanchez
    Campbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Roaster wrote: »
    I really don't rate Monreal defensively, I think he's an accident waiting to happen. Think it's called Sendrositis (having said that he played really well for Villa at the weekend).

I'd like to rest Rambo. Don't need another repeat of last year when overplaying him led to his injury. It's not like we haven't got enough midfielders.

This team should still beat or at least not lose to Besiktas.

Szczesny
    Bellerin----Chambers---Per----Debuchy
    Flamini---Carzola
    Campbell
    Ox
    Sanchez
    Giroud

You'd rather play a(nother) 19 year at RB and Debuchy out of position than play Monreal, who has been solid in the games he has played recently? And play Cazorla in central midfield instead of our best midfielder? (or even Jack) :confused:

And as I said earlier, Per didn't travel. It also says it in the match preview on the official site
    http://www.arsenal.com/match/report/1415/pre/first-team/besiktas-v-arsenal-match-preview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rosicky for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Some of the lineups here dont indicate this is an important game. Wenger wont be taking any risks here and we will be playing the strongest available team imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Arsenal would be stupid to play anything other than their strongest available team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep put the strongest team out and try to kill this round over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Flamini for Arteta or Wilshere and maybe Chamberlain in, that's all I'd change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Go on my son,

451899263.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Has to be full strength tonight only change I would make from Saturday is Giroud in for Sanogo. We dont want to put ourselves under pressure going into the second leg so lets do the business tonight and put this tie to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Besiktas fans tweeting photos of themselves in their kit and holding knives and machetes. Delightful fans in that country

Edit: I'm a united fan, but I hope Arsenal absolutely humiliate them tonight.

Besiktas fans tweeting photos of themselves in their kit and holding knives and machetes. Delightful fans in that country

Probably go to their own players doors and threaten them too!! :eek:

Turkish fans are a bit mad but at least they make noise unlike the english graveyards

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Probably go to their own players doors and threaten them too!! :eek:

Turkish fans are a bit mad but at least they make noise unlike the english graveyards

Well, I don't like them. Still remember Cantona and Robson getting beaten up by the Turkish police after a game. Scum

Well, I don't like them. Still remember Cantona and Robson getting beaten up by the Turkish police after a game. Scum

You don't like all Turkish fans because of that? :confused:

You shouldn't put them all in the same bracket

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You don't like all Turkish fans because of that? :confused:

You shouldn't put them all in the same bracket

Na, it just left an impression on me. I was quite young watching that game.

Great atmospheres at their stadiums and all, but have seen this threatening behaviour from them before. Has no place in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Jermaine Jones had a great World Cup for the USA this summer! The midfield battle between him and Ramsey is going to be very decisive imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One all will do and it might end that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 2m
    #Arsenal team to play Besiktas: Szczesny, Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Alexis, Cazorla, Giroud #BESvAFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Will miss this game but I like the line up. Should be similar to last season with Alexis just off Giroud on the right and Cazorla playing a little bit deeper on the left. Chambers must be delighted with all of this game time at centre half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

dorgasm wrote: »
    Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 2m
    #Arsenal team to play Besiktas: Szczesny, Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Alexis, Cazorla, Giroud #BESvAFC
    That's a very strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm gland Wilshere is getting a game tonight. He needs to get up to the speed of the game. Looked a bit off the pace on Sat.

#Arsenal subs: Martinez, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bellerin, Miquel, Campbell, Flamini, Rosicky #BESvAFC

Hope Campbell and Bellerin come on later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

In fairness Robson gave nearly as good as he got in that exchange, he definitely got one good shot in. I was rather impressed considering the Turkish constabulary were wielding shields and batons. Cantona had to be restrained from trying to take on the entire police force.

Santi is such a nice guy! Lot's of smiles for everyone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jon Champion Clive Tyldesley - "annual crusade"

Almost a nightmare start! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Jayus. I almost wanted it to go in just to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Need to settle, pretty disjointed stuff so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A wild van appears.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement