Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should lamb shanks cost??

• 19-08-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to buy some good quality lamb shanks. I don't want to make this a regional query but my local butcher who are very good (F.X. Buckley) quoted me €3.50 per piece. I remember my gf paid €9 a piece in a posher part of town (Ranelagh). FX said they only did the one type.

So was she ripped off or am I getting a good deal?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The FX Buckley price is the more normal price, there's only one way for the butcher to prepare a lamb shank.

I remember in the 80s there was so little demand for lamb shank that our local butcher used to just give them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lamb shanks have gotten so expensive lately, now that they're fashionable. I remember paying about €1 each in the English Market years ago. Now it's a good few euro for a pack of two.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Is it possible that their could be differences in quality (e.g. proportion of fat etc.) between them or is it simply a case of, a shank is a shank?

I'm gonna be slow cooking for 8 hours or so, so they will be tender regardless.

(Any tips on slow cooking them appreciated!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

From time to time you'll get 2 for a fiver in Dunnes on offer. Any more than a fiver and I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I used to pay €1.99 each but they went up to €2.99 in the last year or do since they got more popular
    Lorraine Pascale has a delicious recipe for them including balsamic, chorizo and mashed potato. My mouth is watering thinking of it!
    8 hour slow cook should be pretty good but mine are usually melt in the mouth after 2 or 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lamb shanks can vary hugely in size depending on how high up they are cut. As they are tapered, every cm in length provides a lot more meat. It is possible that the ones your gf got were quite a bit bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lamb shanks can vary hugely in size depending on how high up they are cut. As they are tapered, every cm in length provides a lot more meat. It is possible that the ones your gf got were quite a bit bigger.
    I agree, I've bought cheap lamb shanks that were more like lamb 'ankles' as it were :) Fat and connective tissue content can vary a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Quality of animal, precise point of the cut etc will all have a bearing. However, all that taken into account, your girlfriend got fleeced (excuse the pun) at 9 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've paid €1.99, €2.50 and €3.50 for one before, all in the same place, but they've gotten more expensive in the past year or so.

Dunnes sometimes have them on offer two for €5.99 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

Shanks have grown in fashion the last 3 years.
    €3.50 per shank will work out at around €7.00 per kilo, very decent retail price if they are hind shanks as opposed to fore shank. keep in mind hind shank is a good bit more meaty.
    Shanks are at their lower seasonal value at the moment, time to freeze if you have the room and you may well get them closer from €3.00 per piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 russellcr007

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to buy some good quality lamb shanks. I don't want to make this a regional query but my local butcher who are very good (F.X. Buckley) quoted me €3.50 per piece. I remember my gf paid €9 a piece in a posher part of town (Ranelagh). FX said they only did the one type.

So was she ripped off or am I getting a good deal?

Thanks

I think that the 9 euro is probably for a shank from the back leg which would have a good deal more meat on it thanks the shank from the front leg which is what I think is what you're after and would normally work out about 2.50each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Is it possible that their could be differences in quality (e.g. proportion of fat etc.) between them or is it simply a case of, a shank is a shank?

I'm gonna be slow cooking for 8 hours or so, so they will be tender regardless.

(Any tips on slow cooking them appreciated!)

Stick a knife down between the bone and the meat and fill it with herbs or butter or both. Had success with paprika and oranges instead of butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The front shank is more commonly seen and doesn't have as much meat as the hind. The hind shank is the part left when someone only wants a half leg of lamb rather than a full one.

No real difference in tenderness once cooked correctly. Our local butcher usually sells them for €2 or something similar. Nothing like what I seen them retailing at in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jpb1974 wrote: »
    From time to time you'll get 2 for a fiver in Dunnes on offer. Any more than a fiver and I'm out.

I'm similar, it's supposed to be a cheap cut of meat.
    dudara wrote: »
    Lamb shanks have gotten so expensive lately, now that they're fashionable. I remember paying about €1 each in the English Market years ago. Now it's a good few euro for a pack of two.

The first time I ever came across them was back in 1999 on menus in Australia & NZ where they're pretty common and popular. When I arrived home a few years later I searched them out in a good few butchers without success. These days they all seem to have them and many are charging through the nose for it. Which is a pity as lamb is already such a pricey meat, now even the 'cheap cuts' are becoming pricey in themselves.

Advertisement