Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science UCD

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hello i am a student going into 5th year and was wondering what the course is like there how it is taught and the difficulty level.

Appreciate any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Anyone who is able to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Difficulty level would be about the same as winning the world cup on Fifa 2010 on World Class level with North Korea

Difficulty level would be about the same as winning the world cup on Fifa 2010 on World Class level with North Korea

Ok i see

I don't know about UCD but would imagine its similar to TCD. Maths can be difficult. If you are good at learning languages i.e. french, german, irish. Then you should be able to pick up coding languages. People don't often relate them but I do!

I don't know about UCD but would imagine its similar to TCD. Maths can be difficult. If you are good at learning languages i.e. french, german, irish. Then you should be able to pick up coding languages. People don't often relate them but I do!

You in TCD?

• Advertisement

Was, did computer engineering for 2 years but my best friend did computer science. We had classes together and stuff so I knew his course fairly well. There are a load of CS nerds on here so I am sure you will get a more reliable source than me

I have baited them by calling them nerds, no need to thank me

I have baited them by calling them nerds, no need to thank me

Ok then appreciate you telling me about difficulty levels in TCD. Would you reccomend it to anyone who wants to do CS?

Trinity as a college I would hugely recommend although there is an opinion out there that UCD CS is taught better. My little sister just finished her first year in CS in TCD and loved it. She didn't find it difficult at all. My best mate went AWOL for 2nd year (just stopped going into lectures) and failed but ended up getting a first degree in 4th year. Only thing he really changed was he went to college more consistently.

If you are present for the lecturing and labs, you will be fine.

I presume you would consider yourself techy?

Trinity as a college I would hugely recommend although there is an opinion out there that UCD CS is taught better. My little sister just finished her first year in CS in TCD and loved it. She didn't find it difficult at all. My best mate went AWOL for 2nd year (just stopped going into lectures) and failed but ended up getting a first degree in 4th year. Only thing he really changed was he went to college more consistently.

If you are present for the lecturing and labs, you will be fine.

I presume you would consider yourself techy?

Yea i would consider myself that. I appreciate the replie of you. I am just trying to get a better idea of how CS is taught in different colleges so I could have a more informed descision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

I'm a 3rd year CS student in UCD.

1st year is tough because it's all new to you and there are a LOT of assignments. It's very draining and stressful as a course and we have a lot of drop outs but if you put in a lot of work you should be okay. I'm not naturally good at programming and I've been getting good grades anyway because I've put the time and effort in.

I'd disagree with learning a programming language being similar. To me it's totally different. Learning a language is about being able to translate something from one language to another but with programming you basically have to figure out how to translate it from an idea into a running program which is a lot harder. Just my opinion though.

I've got some friends in other CS degrees. In my experience of looking at work other colleges have been doing at the same time as us, UCD by far has the highest standard and fastest pace. Usually people in other CS courses find it easier but they've been generally doing easier work so that would make sense.

I've posted in another UCD Computer Science thread a few months ago and have a comprehensive description of the course. It should only be a few pages back in this section.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Advertisement