Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITERA 2016 - If you are easily strayed, look away now!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Haha you starting the countdown already? :D

Link isn't working btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Planning my training and racing for the next while.

Next step is to orcestrate a split away from the T/D forum with a specific AR forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well now we know it'll be the west coast for sure anyway! So many possibilities...

It's gonna be awesome :)

West is BEST!! :D

Much better than Challenge Galway any day, month or year :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Very interesting!!! I'd say that would be epic

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Well now we know it'll be the west coast for sure anyway! So many possibilities...

It's gonna be awesome :)

We may start out on the west coast but where will we go in between :eek: You'd cover a far bit of Ireland in 600k .....

Failte Ireland:

Ireland is small enough to be visited in its entirety within a couple of weeks 5 days, in which time you cannot see everything worthwhile of course - but you will gather an impression of something new, strange and beautiful in the make-up of land and people.

Ireland is an island of 84,288 sq km (32,544 square miles). Its greatest length is; 485 km (302 miles), its greatest width is 304 km ( 189 miles), and its coastline extends for over 5,631 km (3,500 miles).

Malin to Mizen the hard way round :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Will be great if it comes to fruition and hopefully it will and I will be there to participate too :D

Other attempts at expedition races in Ireland in late naughties unfortunately did not take off in terms initially with numbers (for GF12 in 2006 & 2007) and then financially due to several "factors" (Turas in 2008).

With the good participant base Causeway in particular has built up in the Beast of Ballyhoura and good overseas interest that Itera / World Series might bring it should go well but serious local funding from the likes of Failte Ire / Discover Ire will be vital methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well fingers crossed. Cause it would be frickin awesome if it comes to fruition.

I for one am all in and time enough to get fit for it too ��

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Excuseless wrote: »

With the good participant base Causeway in particular has built up in the Beast of Ballyhoura and good overseas interest that Itera / World Series might bring it should go well but serious local funding from the likes of Failte Ire / Discover Ire will be vital methinks

lot of excitement for the proposed xterra race in ireland this year as well, and it went nowhere despite officially announcements and being part of the xterra tour as well. after that i'd take any of these long term announcements with a serious pinch of salt. until the start line goes up you never know

anyway, this is two years away, should you lot not be planning next year first and leaving 2016 till this time next year? Surely there are loads of ways to get lost between now and then? :)

• Advertisement

Xterra and Iterra are two entirely different things.

The Iterra lads are now a very experienced bunch of race organisers who have already organised equivalent races in 3 different countries (England, Scotland, Wales). I would be very confident that this race is going to happen. They would seem to have already taken care of some of the groundwork.

There have been 3 full proper expedition length races in Ireland in the past. Brian Eliot's two Adrenalin Rush races and the Turas (Gael force 12 was too short to be called expedition length). The Adrenalin Rush races were pioneering races. They got plenty of entrants, and were excellent races.

The Turas was a great race with a disastrous post-race outcome. The course was absolutely fantastic. The organisation of the race itself was brilliant (even with one flaw in the flow of the race). As a race experience it was probably the best I have ever had in AR. It was easily the most competitive AR ever in Ireland with a huge number of world class teams taking part, drawn by the big prize money. Unfortunately the prizemoney never materialised, leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth for a lot of people, and turned what should have been a triumph into a disaster (I was on the 2nd placed team, so that could have been my largest race winnings ever by a big margin. I was lucky though, in that being a local it hadn't cost me much beyond holidays to take part). I'd be 100% confident that Iterra will not make any of the mistakes that the Turas did.

I'd guess that the Irish Iterra will attract a large number of british teams. Hopefully the rareness of full length expedition races in Ireland will attract a few international teams as well. And most importantly, hopefully there will be plenty of local teams taking the rare opportunity to do a full actual adventure race.

not questioning the organisation itself, more that big brand races don't seem to pan out here. xterra was one. then challenge. look at the scepticism in the IM dublin thread and a steady trend is emerging. I'd love to see this go ahead, no interest in participating myself but always like the idea of big races in Ireland, but i won't be counting on it being a sure thing just yet

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that there is any major comparison with the Tri events for multiple reasons. I would be a huge sceptic myself about IM Dublin, whereas I'd happily bet my own money that Iterra will happen!

well i hope so, cause i can think of 1 mod and 1 shopkeeper who are already rocking themselves to sleep every night dreaming of this

Ok caveat, I've only done 2 ARs and zero expedition length experience but I do know triathlon from a logistics POV

Triathlon tends to spring up, requires a pull of local volunteers, roads to be closed or semi closed, Garda presence and large public transition areas which alone takes a sizeable chunk of the race OPEX. There are hundreds or thousands of competitors involved. It interrupts trade and transport in the given location on the given day, perhaps for the benefit of the locality. On the upside in this respect it can also bring trade to the locality for the given weekend.

Races that seem to do well have a relationship with the locality and locals of mutual benefit with manageable costs on both sides.

AR is more spread out and although monumental in terms of logistics too it has a few things going for it in this respect. Low number of competitors, maybe 40 teams of 4 tracked by GPS at all times. So, smaller more remote transition areas can work. Not as much of an impact on local trade or transport.

Races that seem to do well are largely out of public view yet show off the countryside like no other event can

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

mossym wrote: »
    lot of excitement for the proposed xterra race in ireland this year as well, and it went nowhere despite officially announcements and being part of the xterra tour as well. after that i'd take any of these long term announcements with a serious pinch of salt. until the start line goes up you never know

anyway, this is two years away, should you lot not be planning next year first and leaving 2016 till this time next year? Surely there are loads of ways to get lost between now and then? :)

I'm going to stick my neck on the block here and say that I'm pretty certain that ITERA Ireland will happen in 2016, there's already been a fair bit of work that has gone into making it possible. The website for anyone who's interested is itera.ie, at the moment it's lacking much content but you can sign up for updates as soon as they happen.

As for next year the Beast of Ballyhoura will play host to the 2015 European Finals, the race is likely to be 72hrs will sits nicely in between past years and the ITERA in 2016.

AKW wrote: »
    West is BEST!! :D

Much better than Challenge Galway any day, month or year :D:D

Could be interesting year 2016! :)

With Challenge in June and ITERA in August and Challenge off to a great start with race info already buttoned down it will be better than I first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A few more snippets of info. being released

http://www.itera.ie/race-details/

Aug 16th - 23rd 2016

Killarney - The Reeks :):):):)

Entries open next week!! :eek:

http://www.itera.ie/enter.php

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Looks amazing!! too many things going on this year :-( I'd love to give this type of race a go in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

€800pp early bird until early Jan, after that, €1000 up to early March and €1200 after that.... Big incentive to get teams in early.

Two weeks to go now till ITERA 2016 kicks off :D

Yesterday the teams received the race schematic:
    http://itera.ie/download/Iterasum.pdf
    It gives an outline of the stages (length and discipline)
    As promised there is a heavy focus on kayaking with 135k to be covered regardless of whether you go long course or short course and two massive stages (50k and 75k). Other 'interesting' things are the stage 2 trek with 5000m of elevation and the 200k mountain bike.
    The race website will be live for tracking once the race starts.

There will be tough competition between the Irish teams for a place on the podium and first Irish team also wins a spot in the ARWS final in Australia. Enduro's team took the honours in the ARES Beast of Ballyhoura this time last year and are bound to be one of the favourites but they'll have to be on top of their game this time around for national honours with competition from, amongst others, the Defence forces, DAR Dingle who have experienced ARWS action in Africa this year, a Moxie team bolstered by the addition of Pavel Paloncy and the strong and experienced team making up Rachel's adventurers.
    Godzone will likely be favourites for the win but Swecco, Issy adventure, team endurance life and the Irish teams will all give them a good run for it!
    Best of luck to all :D

Thanks for that CM :)

Oh stage 2 will be a toughie, lots of inclines and declines to cover 5,000m.

Looking forward to lining up with some of the best teams in the world.

Initial feelings on the schematic?

Initial feelings is that it's true to JT form

Stage 2 50k trek with 5000m ascent on the first night will break up the field earlier than usual in ARWS races

There will be penalties dished out at the end for teams nto taking JTs rules seriously for the stage 4 200km MTB

Teams will struggle to find the CPs in the dark of night 2 on stage 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

50km and 75km of kayaking is huge, the liffey descent, a pretty long race is around 20km and that's downstream and is still a bit of a slog, top lads doing it in around 2hrs with a good flow behind them for the majority. I hope your in Double sea kayaks for that, I wouldn't fancy that on a sit on top. Comfort is going to be key for that, that's going to be a long time in the boat. TBH, I'm fairly shocked at that distance, that's a huge undertaking! Fair play!

joey100 wrote: »
    50km and 75km of kayaking is huge, the liffey descent, a pretty long race is around 20km and that's downstream and is still a bit of a slog, top lads doing it in around 2hrs with a good flow behind them for the majority. I hope your in Double sea kayaks for that, I wouldn't fancy that on a sit on top. Comfort is going to be key for that, that's going to be a long time in the boat. TBH, I'm fairly shocked at that distance, that's a huge undertaking! Fair play!

Double sit on tops Joey. Sure we've five days to do it all ;)

Might bring some extra padding for the sit on top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Double sit on tops??!! Comfort is number one there, that will get you before tiredness! I can't wait to see the kayaking route you's do, wonder will there be any rapids or weirs or will it be lake/sea. I didn't even look at the rest of what yous have to do, I'm just in shock at that!

joey100 wrote: »
    Double sit on tops??!! Comfort is number one there, that will get you before tiredness! I can't wait to see the kayaking route you's do, wonder will there be any rapids or weirs or will it be lake/sea. I didn't even look at the rest of what yous have to do, I'm just in shock at that!

Bryan had something like this on our kayak on Saturday and it was ridiculously comfy ..... I may opt for one after reading the schematic :)

[URL] http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RTM-BACKREST-COMFY-SEAT-BACK-REST-SIT-ON-TOP-KAYAK-CANOE-BOAT-DINGY-FISHING-SUP-/141364504790 [/URL]

The first section may be along the coast with some nice Atlantic swells so I'll be bringing a packet of sea sickness tablets.

Second section could be a lake :)

Third short section could potentially be a river :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Initial feelings on the schematic?

1) I'm going to have a very sore ass after 200k on the mountain bike

2) I will never, ever want to see a kayak paddle again after stage 3 .....
    until stage 8 when I'll likely be fed up of trekking and have very sore feet :D

• Advertisement

@ joey: I pray to god that there are rapids/weirs or I may die of boredom!!!!!

Advertisement