Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'pejorative’ stereotype

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Australia's was the petrie dish from which Fox News sprang. Here everyone is suspect. What they say about foreigners they say about their own so nothing new if you're living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

This is a Video of the assault on Timothy McCarthy, a cowardly attack by anyone's interpretation.

I remember when this was in front of the Courts, the Irish Echo at the same time was leading a campaign to keep Ian Cronin (another perpetrator of a vicious cowardly attack that ruined a young life) in Australia to keep on committing crimes while condemning the actions above... The Irish Echo, keeping it classy.

Now that was a interesting moronic approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

First time seeing that vid, it's frightening how easy it is to do serious damage to someone by just one punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An interesting approach - which I think reflects very badly on the Irish Ambassador's attitudes to public drunkenness:
    Badly how?
    Do you think it was necessary to include the tag line "drunk irish in relation to the victim. Had it been sober, or australian would the attack have been any more/less scumbag? Would it have been acceptable to describe Jill Meager in a similar fashion?
    I'm a bit baffled that you thought the ambassador was acting strange here.
    top madra wrote: »
    First time seeing that vid, it's frightening how easy it is to do serious damage to someone by just one punch.
    It's commonly considered that it's not the punch but rather the pavement that does the majority damage.
    Makes sense really. Falling for 5-6ft builts up a bit of speed, the neck whips accelerating the head and zero give in the concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I got assaulted myself resulting in moderate head injuries and thankfully I've recovered albeit with chronic headaches. Also thankfully it didn't get any media attention whatsoever judging from the above.

It was at a pub and about as random as that, I'm not sure what was said between those people but I never spoke to the guy who pushed me. I was playing pool with a mate and had drank a few beers. He got up out of his seat, walked over to me from my left side, pushed my mate out of the way and then gave me an almighty push sending me flying into a wall and hitting my head a number of times.

Lost all memory of the night barring some blurriness. Was unconscious for 5 minutes. Suffered skull fractures in multiple places and an artery which the doctors did not know how it went without rupturing. If it did I was looking at severe brain damage or death.

Seeing all these incidents I can clearly count myself lucky though.

However, in saying that it's definitely great to see an Ambassador for Ireland stand up to an incredulous comment like this. Like as if the 'drunk Irish' guy had it coming to him because he was drunk?

**** off.

What happened to me and the person in that video could happen to anyone, in any country, of any nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jill Meager was drunk walking home that night, does that somehow exonerate the person or people who commit crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

jank wrote: »
    Jill Meager was drunk walking home that night, does that somehow exonerate the person or people who commit crimes?

Careful now. I got banned for a week for saying she worked for the Australian media.

Advertisement