Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with boosting ethernet signal over Cat5e

Options
  • 19-08-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,
    I recently set up a CCTV system on my farm which is about 200m from my house. consisting of this system is the usual, DVR, Cameras (Signal w/ baluns over CAt5e) etc. I recently bought 305m of Cat5e cable so i could connect the DVR to my router (about 200m away in my house) so I could enable remote access to the DVR from the internet. I ran the cable and discovered the signal is not getting through ie. It's plugged into the router but nothing is being received on the other (DVR) end. I have minimised all "noise" interference. Any ideas?? I was thinking some sort of a range extender but I cant seem to find the type of thing that fits my spesifications around the place!?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the situation,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Cheap cable? If it was its most likely copper clad aluminum, you're better off pure copper.
    2. How goods your crimping? If you don't get it nice and snug with little untwisting you'll lose signal.
    3. Tested it? Cheapo cable testers will make sure all the pairs are unbroken and also in the correct order. Did you use a crossover or straight patch? Can the dvr do MDIX?

If all the above doesn't cover it then you could place a switch as close to the middle as possible to reduce run lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Does Ethernet not have a maximum length of 100m?

Does Ethernet not have a maximum length of 100m?

The spec is only up to 100m, but that's just the spec. I'm using cat5 for GigE, spec says no but real world you can (I've about 40m of it in the longest run). Using good cabling at longer distances in an area with no noise i suspect it should be possible to at least get a 10mb link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I used contract for a wireless provider, I've tried several times and failed to get ethernet working over 120m with cat5e. You'll need fibre with fibre to ethernet adapters or else use wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaranmchugh

Thank for the help so far! does anyone know of any "Repeaters" of "Extenders" I could get around the place? I was told that about the switch before "ED E" but the middle of the run is over-head a field so i dont think it would be an option!??

• Advertisement

Thank for the help so far! does anyone know of any "Repeaters" of "Extenders" I could get around the place? I was told that about the switch before "ED E" but the middle of the run is over-head a field so i dont think it would be an option!??

No such thing. Your only options are add a switch half way, use fibre or use wireless. 100m is the max of Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaranmchugh

Thats perfect thanks :D anything a bit more local

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thats perfect thanks :D anything a bit more local
    They have a place in the UK too ... http://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb

• Advertisement

Remember with those you'll need a PoE injector in the house.

Advertisement