Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working while on annual leave

Options
  • 19-08-2014 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one.

I have annual leave booked and approved.

II've been informed I'm required to do a night of training, while on the first day of my annual leave.

I assume I can refuse, as my leave has been approved, and it cannot be cancelled without 30 days notice (it's less than 30 days from now)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You're saying leave cannot be cancelled with less than 30 days notice, but that has no legal standing. It's just your employer's policy and is fairly meaningless.

On the other hand, you're entitled to your rest time and mandatory, work-related training goes against the right. I'd take exception if my employer did something like this and didn't try to accommodate me.

Tell them to either reschedule your course or reschedule your annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tenifan wrote: »
    You're saying leave cannot be cancelled with less than 30 days notice, but that has no legal standing. It's just your employer's policy and is fairly meaningless.

This page seems to say that it does have legal standing; if I am reading it correctly.
    20.—(1) The times at which annual leave is granted to an employee shall be determined by his or her employer having regard to work requirements and subject—
    (b) to the employer having consulted the employee or the trade union (if any) of which he or she is a member, not later than 1 month before the day on which the annual leave or, as the case may be, the portion thereof concerned is due to commence, and

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you advised your employer you will be unavailable as you are on leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you advised your employer you will be unavailable as you are on leave?

Yes, and received no reply as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Eoin wrote: »
    This page seems to say that it does have legal standing; if I am reading it correctly.

I'd read that differently. The employer must give the employee a month's notice to take annual leave, but it doesn't mention the situation where the employee and employer agree to reschedule annual leave already booked.

I think the real issue is the employer expecting the employee to do a course while the employee is on annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I assume it can happen if it's being arranged for a group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or the employer is providing the employee with an opportunity which they will otherwise miss out on.

OP, is the course required for your job? Do you have to do it now, or could you wait until next time it's offered? Could you do it somewhere else instead, or is the content specific to your workplace? Are you actually going to be away - or could you do the course and take the days leave another day?

Is there another day that it could be offered when absolutely no-one will be away? (As soon as you get to more than about 8-10 people involved, it's generally pretty much impossible to find a day that suits everyone).

Sometimes a spoonful of negotiation gets a better result than a bucket of aggression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Or the employer is providing the employee with an opportunity which they will otherwise miss out on.

OP, is the course required for your job? Do you have to do it now, or could you wait until next time it's offered? Could you do it somewhere else instead, or is the content specific to your workplace? Are you actually going to be away - or could you do the course and take the days leave another day?

Is there another day that it could be offered when absolutely no-one will be away? (As soon as you get to more than about 8-10 people involved, it's generally pretty much impossible to find a day that suits everyone).

Sometimes a spoonful of negotiation gets a better result than a bucket of aggression.

The course isn't required for anyone who's been in the company more than 3 months (I'm there a few years), but they want everyone to go.

I will actually be away on the day of the course.

I'll discuss it with them when they get back to me. Thanks

Advertisement