Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytrip to Wicklow?

• 19-08-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Feel like going to Wicklow for a daytrip with my mother this w/end getting the DART/Train I have only ever been to Bray and Aughrim. Any nice place I can go for a day with my mother scenic, nice shops and restaurants etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

miss choc wrote: »
    Feel like going to Wicklow for a daytrip with my mother this w/end getting the DART/Train I have only ever been to Bray and Aughrim. Any nice place I can go for a day with my mother scenic, nice shops and restaurants etc?

Greystones is a lovely spot to visit, lots of shops, restaurants, on the dart line, beaches, scenic walk along the sea etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

enniskerry, powerscourt, glendalough, but yea if you are restricted to Dart, Greystones is your only man.

wouldnt bother with Bray, it's a bit of a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Calibos! Calibos! You're needed!

Bray is not 'a bit of a dump' it's a lovely place to enjoy the seaside with excellent food on offer and buzzing pubs and bars. Bray head and kilruddery for walks and some good shops in the town. Come to Bray we would be only delighted to have you!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

stevieob wrote: »
    enniskerry, powerscourt, glendalough, but yea if you are restricted to Dart, Greystones is your only man.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Had a great day in Bray last week with the OH, seem to have really cleaned it up in the last few years. Eat in Platform Pizza - which to be fair is not where I'd take my mother, but it was class.

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote: »
    Calibos! Calibos! You're needed!

Bray is not 'a bit of a dump' it's a lovely place to enjoy the seaside with excellent food on offer and buzzing pubs and bars. Bray head and kilruddery for walks and some good shops in the town. Come to Bray we would be only delighted to have you!

Who or what is Calibos?

I'm from Shankill and lived in Greystones after that, so spent about 30 years of my life living in and around Bray every day. I don't live there anymore, but I still have family and social activities in the area, so still frequent the area on a weekly basis.

My point still stands, there are a lot nicer places to go in Wicklow, indeed if it were me getting the Dart, I'd probably stop off in Dalkey / Sandycove / Glasthule and even Dun Laoghaire all ahead of Bray. The best thing about Bray is the DART to Dublin. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Who or what is Calibos?

I'm from Shankill and lived in Greystones after that, so spent about 30 years of my life living in and around Bray every day. I don't live there anymore, but I still have family and social activities in the area, so still frequent the area on a weekly basis.

My point still stands, there are a lot nicer places to go in Wicklow, indeed if it were me getting the Dart, I'd probably stop off in Dalkey / Sandycove / Glasthule and even Dun Laoghaire all ahead of Bray. The best thing about Bray is the DART to Dublin. :P

You know Batman and the way he protects Gotham City? And you know Superman and the way he protects Smallville and Metropolis? Well imagine them combined, that is Calibos! And he is here to protect Brays reputation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Wicklow Town....

Its a little like Greystones, but nicer & smaller.
    (Yes I went there.... Bring it greystones folk!)

Less accessible train station though.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You know Batman and the way he protects Gotham City? And you know Superman and the way he protects Smallville and Metropolis? Well imagine them combined, that is Calibos! And he is here to protect Brays reputation :D

PMSL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Think its gonna be Greystones have been to Bray and Aughrim before intrigued to check out Greystones and handy for Dart.
    Anyone know of any nice little restaurants/cafes there probably go for lunchtime so I checked and think Hungry Monk is closed until 5 a nice place to impress the Mammy :) Any touristy things mucho recommended.

• Advertisement

Think its gonna be Greystones have been to Bray and Aughrim before intrigued to check out Greystones and handy for Dart.
    Anyone know of any nice little restaurants/cafes there probably go for lunchtime so I checked and think Hungry Monk is closed until 5 a nice place to impress the Mammy :) Any touristy things mucho recommended.

think they might open for lunch some days

The Burnaby do nice grub, but just take a walk up the street, there are loads of lovely little fooderies to choose from, just pick one that suits your pallate.

There is actually one opposite Burnaby I'm going to try next time, cant remember name! somethin Deli I think! lol

Hmm don't know weather to book somewhere or not GS be busy on a Sat Mam is 80 but grand walking. Was gonna check out somewhere for a nice breakfast/brunch.

Hmm don't know weather to book somewhere or not GS be busy on a Sat Mam is 80 but grand walking. Was gonna check out somewhere for a nice breakfast/brunch.

I'd say you'll be fine.

You do realise that Greystones is small, nice but small! It's a huge town, but really only 1 street from your point of view. Out of the station, turn right and you are there. If you turn left out of the station, head down a few hunderd yards and you can get to the beach.

Ah thats grand will take a chance re food so. Just a couple of hours out of Dublin nice see somewhere different don't know anything about GS might check out beach. Of course this trip is all weather permitting :rolleyes: unfortunately not like Nice where I was two wks ago miss 27 degrees :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The happy pear does amazing food. Its vegetarian thouugh.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

...and another good thing about going to Greystones by DART is that you'll get to see even more of beautiful Bray as you go on to Greystones. Nice train journey. Hope you have a good day.

Turn left out of Dart for greystones beach can't seem to find a road/marking for it on Google maps There seems to be a park/ride and Burnaby woods or do I continue on Mill road past Woodlands Lodge/ Slan sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Turn left out of Dart for greystones beach can't seem to find a road/marking for it on Google maps There seems to be a park/ride and Burnaby woods or do I continue on Mill road past Woodlands Lodge/ Slan sign
    Just walk out of the station and turn left along the road. There's a little archway under the railway line leading to the beach after only 200m or so.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.142016,-6.059486,3a,75y,101.24h,81.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0cEj5DkUArRggRC4GYX25g!2e0?hl=en

Ah great thanks think there would be a sign hope its a nice day on Sat. A nice bit of food and walk along the beach would be nice.

Don't know if affecting Dart but rail strike threatened on Sun/Mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Turn right out of the station and you can either cross over the track by a pedestrian bridge, or go a bit further for the road/bridge. Summervilles just in front of you is excellent, go on down Trafalgar road to the new harbour and you also have Spendloves and the pub. If you feel energetic and the weather is good, there is the cliff walk all the way back to Bray seafront. Alternatively there is a nice little walk from Greystones harbour round the coast back to Summervilles or the station.

Loads of places to eat and pass the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Does it have to be Dart accessible? You could get the 44 to Enniskerry - a nice little village and a lovely walk through Knocksink nature reserve. And on the other side of the village is Powerscourt estate which should tick the shopping requirement + Powerscourt gardens (although the gardens require an entrance fee - but worth it in my view). I think there is a connecting bus from Bray dart station to Enniskerry?

I saw the bus for Enniskerry would have to go into town and not sure how regular the 44 is how many times it goes from O'Connell st a day, how long it takes to get there and what the buses are like coming back. The Dart is an 8 min walk for me and as least I know it defo goes to Greystones. Just want somewhere out of Dublin for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just to warn you there are NO DART services this Sunday due to the Irish Rail dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I saw the bus for Enniskerry would have to go into town and not sure how regular the 44 is how many times it goes from O'Connell st a day, how long it takes to get there and what the buses are like coming back. The Dart is an 8 min walk for me and as least I know it defo goes to Greystones. Just want somewhere out of Dublin for a couple of hours.

The 44 timetable is here:
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/444/

Allow about 20 minutes for the bus to get from Larkhill to D'Olier Street, and then it should take about an hour to get to Enniskerry.

I'd highly recommend it too - it's a lovely trip on the bus and Enniskerry is a lovely village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Enniskerry all the way, Greystones is just an ordinary little town. So you won't be missing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Enniskerry all the way, Greystones is just an ordinary little town. So you won't be missing much.
    Wouldn't agree myself. I'm a Bray resident and if you're looking at Greystones vs Enniskerry I'd say GS has much more going for it. Unless you feel like walking up that mad hill to Powerscourt then Enniskerry is a tiny village around the square (triangle?). There's so much more to see in Greystones (more places to eat, shop etc / harbour / beaches) plus the train journey out and back (if there's no strike!) has fantastic views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If you find walking up that mad hill challenging, then really, why bother in life. Greystones is a wee town. Yes it's littered with cafe's is that your thing. Beach isn't anything spectacular and the harbour resembles Alcatraz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    If you find walking up that mad hill challenging, then really, why bother in life. Greystones is a wee town. Yes it's littered with cafe's is that your thing. Beach isn't anything spectacular and the harbour resembles Alcatraz.
    Personally, no I actually quite like (as a cyclist) the hill there. I was referring to the OP who's bringing an 80-year-old lady out there, and yes I would have thought for them it might be a bit mad. And in addition to that hill they'd also have the long walk into Powerscourt to get a cup of tea or whatever it is they want.

• Advertisement

I think the Kilgarron hill up towards Glencree is madder, actually it's bloody torture on yer bike!

anyway, as Gog says, there is not a lot to do in Enniskerry (it's tiny), much more in Greystones

Advertisement