Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent dog grooming

• 19-08-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,

We're adopting 3 year old shih zhu tomorrow from the pound. Unfortunately, her hair is quite matted and looks very messy. I've tried the local dog groomers and they are booked out until mid September. I've also tried two mobile groomers that did not reply to my email.

Does anyone know of any dog groomers that can schedule on short notice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

daUbiq wrote: »
    Hi All,

We're adopting 3 year old shih zhu tomorrow from the pound. Unfortunately, her hair is quite matted and looks very messy. I've tried the local dog groomers and they are booked out until mid September. I've also tried two mobile groomers that did not reply to my email.

Does anyone know of any dog groomers that can schedule on short notice?

Thanks.

Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

We are based in Templeogue.

Thanks.

http://dundrumdoggrooming.ie/

Maybe this place in Drundrum?

Sorry Im based in wicklow :(

There is a really good new place in wicklow who does Tuesaday - Saturdays if you want their details? Greystones may be too far for your to travel though!

Have you tried tallaght?

PS well done on taking a dog from the pound :)

Thanks cocker5, I didn't want a puppy and you gotta feel sorry for the older dogs left in the pound.. it can be a bit grim in there. I'll try Tallaght.. I suppose we could travel out to Greystones on Saturday if I've no luck before then.

Fair play to you and best of luck with your new buddy...

try here if you cant get somewhere closer... my dog cost €55 so im sure your dog will be a bit less.

http://www.vanityfur.ie/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'm surprised they are letting the dog out in that condition. Can thy not shave him themselves before letting him go for adoption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'm surprised they are letting the dog out in that condition. Can thy not shave him themselves before letting him go for adoption?

Its a pound, not a rescue that the OP is getting the dog from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

muddypaws wrote: »
    Its a pound, not a rescue that the OP is getting the dog from.

Fair enough, but sometimes people still refer to Rescue Centres as Pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Fair enough, but sometimes people still refer to Rescue Centres as Pounds.

You're absolutely right, and in fact that might be the case here, I just assumed the OP would know the difference, but no, a lot of people don't. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

In this situation I'd suggest it might be better to enquire with vets then groomers?

If her hair is badly matted, it might be kinder to have the dog lightly sedated for the grooming, get her shaved entirely and there will be an opportunity to get her ears and feet looked at the same time. Often by the time it takes for a coat to get into very bad condition, these will need attention as well.

I say this because she is coming out of the pound you have no idea how she will tolerate grooming, which can be painful if the matts are bad. Once this is done you can work with her and get her accustomed to brushing and handling at home. Much easier to do that, then try and pick up the pieces after a bad experience.

Well done for taking her out of the pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

check with your local vets.
    If shes that badly matted she may need sedation to be shaved anyway and could have an underlying skin problem from the weight of the matts pulling on her skin.Youd also be able to get her health checked as well.
    Vets also often have their own groomers on site.

just seen rips sad more or less the same thing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I don't know if you tried Mutz Nutz in Walkinstown, but they're good and reasonably priced. Might have the same problem with bookings but if you tell them your situation, the lad in there might squeeze you in. He has done for me before!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

I've worked as a dog groomer and I would recommend going to your local vet first. If the hair is very matted, the techniques that are used to dematt can irritate the skin a lot and cause more problems than its worth. Shaving them would be the best solution and allow you to brush and comb the hair yourself when it starts to grow back.

Also, grooming can be very stressful on dogs and since the dogs are just coming from a pound, they will be already adjusting to new surroundings. A vet would be the best option IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would also recommend going to a vet - it is likely the dog is going to need to be shaved and it can cause a huge amount of stress for dogs that are not used to the process (particularly considering the dog is probably quite stressed as is - new environment, new people etc.). Getting the dog sedated and shaved at the vet would be the most effective and least stressful thing to do for all concerned. You can then maintain the coat and get it groomed once the dog is more secure and the coat is in a decent state.

Hi Everyone,

We found a mobile groomer who scalped her yesterday! She really needed it. She was very excited after her haircut, hopefully she feels better now that she's clean.

Unfortunately, when I visited the vet I found out she had just come into heat! Luckily she's a house dog and already house trained so no lusty males will be getting near her. We will be getting her spayed.

She's a great little dog, she likes to sit on your foot or beside you on the couch for a snooze..

If I could just figure out how to upload a picture...

If anyone has any tips for looking after a shih tzu I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sounds like she's landed on her feet with you OP! :)

Fair Play OP, another dog saved...may you all have a happy life together XX

tk123 wrote: »
    Sounds like she's landed on her feet with you OP! :)

Thanks; I hope she'll be happy with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

daUbiq wrote: »
    Thanks; I hope she'll be happy with us.

Well done, a great thing you are doing for the little dog! Glad to hear you have got sorted! Are you going to leave the hair long or go for a shorter cut?

Well done, a great thing you are doing for the little dog! Glad to hear you have got sorted! Are you going to leave the hair long or go for a shorter cut?

Not sure yet. A friend has some experience with this type of dog and reckons she can groom her as they've 3 of their own!

Low maintenance may be the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement