Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletter won't give back deposit.

Options
  • 19-08-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

For June, July and August I needed a place to stay in Dublin so I decided to sublet a room off a guy I found advertising online. I've had nothing but trouble with him and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any help.

Initially I asked him how much was the room and would be be sending it on to the letting agency. He told me he would, but left out the fact he'd be keeping €60 a month for himself. I only found out about this after paying for August's rent. I was very conscious of this sort of thing and didn't want it to happen, so I'm really annoyed about it. I realise there's very little I can do about this but it has raised other issues.

Upon arrival I gave him a €200 deposit. There is a lot of damage in the property and in my room specifically. The bed is badly broken and the dresser is too. I told the letting agency this upon arrival and asked was there some sort of inventory check I could do but they were no help. I'm now afraid the guy I'm subletting off will be charged for the damages and will take it out of the deposit I gave him, claiming I cannot prove he did it and I didn't.

I am really concerned so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement