Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: IADT or NCAD

Options
  • 19-08-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have accepted my CAO Round zero offer (AD101 NCAD 1st Year) which was my second preference on my course choices on my CAO. And now I have been offered my first choice, on Round one offer (DL826 IADT Visual Communication).

So basically I have six days to choose between NCAD (1st year) or IADT (Vis.com). Id be more than grateful if anyone from either college could help me out with my decision. Each college and course has so much going for it, it is hard to make a decision under pressure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I teach on the course in IADT, but studied on the NCAD one (way back when). Choose the course that you feel produces the best graduates or graduate shows. There's some different approaches to teaching and learning across the two institutes, and no-one can know ahead of time which mix suits them better, so your best bet is to judge the quality of work out the end of the courses. If you've a particular interest in a specific aspect/niche of visual communications then assess if either course has a particular strength in that area.

As a ready reckoner - NCAD's course has more of a focus on the illustration end of things, while IADT spends more time on digital/onscreen media. But the core focus of both courses will have a large degree of crossover.

Edit - all of this pre-supposes that your intention would be to continue in graphic design if you went to NCAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LauraCrotti

I'm kind of in the same situation!
    I've just accepted the offer for NCAD :) If you end up sticking with ncad let me know, I'm looking for people to share an apartment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rubycocopop

Thank you so much for your message! After thinking about my decision and weighing up the pros and cons I have finally come to my decision. Iv just accepted my first choice in IADT (visual communication). I hope I wont regret it but i'm happy that I have finally chosen one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm sure you won't regret it. The course is increasingly demanding, but you'll learn a lot, and most students seem to rate the social/collegiate side of things too. Best of luck with it!

Advertisement