Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stir Fry

• 19-08-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Lads going to try eat healthier and eat chicken or steak stir fry most days of the week. Can anybody recommend anything to bring in more flavor while it's nice it's a bit dry. If somebody could recommend something healthy and low fattening. Below is how i am cooking them.

Heating the pan and putting on coconut oil and soya sauce.
    Chopping up the steak or chicken and putting it on the pan.
    Putting pepper on the meat.
    Then adding peppers and onions.
    Add a little salt and vinegar and then take it up when cooked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I marinade my meat in soy, Chinese black vinegar, ginger, star anise, garlic, a little sugar, chilli sauce and Chinese cooking wine. I freeze it in batches in the freezer so it marinades as it defrosts. Also look or for things like oyster sauce or fish sauce, They are both sorta like soy, but have different character (neither taste of fish). Some sweet chilli might be good.

I usually cook the meat separate to get it nicely browned in the pan and add it back into the veg for the last minute or so of cooking, stops the pan getting overcrowded.

The marinade above is great, caus it can tasted quite different if you change the amounts of each. Lots of vinegar is great with pork, but I'll make it much spicier if i have beef.

Other veg that are great are: broccoli, sprouting broccoli, beansprouts, sugarsnaps, bak choi, carrots. Toasted cashews are great too.

For a change you could also do something like serve it up in lettuce cups (really good with minced pork or beef). I also make a salad of stir fried pork slices (in sauce above) with cashews, raw spinach, some peas, and heaps of coriander. Top it with some peanut sauce (peanut butter thinned with a little hot water, and the cooked off sauce from the stirfry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thanks Dibkins to be honest half the things you mentioned i never even heard of. But i am going to try a few of them and see how i get on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got this little book "100 Everyday Stirfry Recipes" for 2.99 in my local garden centre. I see them in loads of garden centres and places like Woodies. Loads of great recipes.

Two faves:
    Teriyaki Chicken
    5 tbsp Japanese Soy
    5 tbsp Mirin
    2tbsp honey
    1 tsp chopped ginger

Marinade the sliced chicken in the above mixture for as long as possible)
    Remove chicken from mix. Shake off excess but keep the marinade. Stirfry the chicken for a few minutes (depends on how thinly sliced it is) Add sliced yellow pepper and spring onions for a few minutes. Pour in left over marinade, bring to boil, let simmer for few minutes to make sure chicken is cooked. Take out the chicken and veg, let the liquid boil until it thickens. Pour over chicken and veg. Serve with rice or noodles.

Beef with broccoli and ginger
    1 Tbsp light soy
    1tsp sesame oil
    1tsp rice wine
    1tsp sugar
    pinch of white pepper

Marinade sliced beef in above mixture.
    Blanch broccoli in boiling water for 1-2 mins. (I use baby/tender stem broccoli, cooks quicker, tastes nicer)
    Stir fry garlic, ginger and small onion for few mins. Add in the broccoli. Remove from wok, keep warm. Stirfry the beef until cooked. Throw the veg back in. Add a splash of light soy sauce. Mix well. Serve with rice/noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oil into a wok followed by beef strips or chicken pieces when it's hot - after a minute, remove beef, or leave chicken, then add some ginger cut into matchsticks and some finely sliced garlic, cook for another minute, add quartered mushrooms, brocolli and some sliced chilli, along with some soy sauce and a splash each of rice vinegar, lime juice and fish sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I threw together a stir fry earlier
    Thinly sliced chicken, carrot, sweetcorn
    2tbsp soy sauce
    1tsp sesame oil
    1 heaped tsp minced garlic
    1tsp dried ginger (fresh would be better)
    1tsp five spice

I fried the chicken and veg and mixed everything else up in a bowl then poured it over everything just before adding the noodles. It was very tasty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like to add sweet chili sauce and soy sauce at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I must have the following in my stir fry...

Carrot
    Broccoli
    Red Onion
    Red, Yellow, Green, Orange peppers (or as many as possible)
    Beansprouts
    Tinned Chestnuts chopped up

I put them in rapeseed oil in the order above I.e harder veg first that take longer to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

For really tender stir fried steak, flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin (cover with cling film) and cut into thin strips. Marinade in water and corn flour for about 15-30 mins, drain and then marinade again with whatever, such as the beef/broccoli/ginger recipe above.

Lads have any of ye used sticky glaze chineese barbecue. It looked lovely i was going to throw it on a chicken stir fry later but it only gives cooking instructions for ribs. I used black bean sauce the other day just throwing it on the pan and then letting it simmer. I presume i can just do the same with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads have any of ye used sticky glaze chineese barbecue. It looked lovely i was going to throw it on a chicken stir fry later but it only gives cooking instructions for ribs. I used black bean sauce the other day just throwing it on the pan and then letting it simmer. I presume i can just do the same with this?

I'd say that would be more for coating ribs and roasting them rather than using in a stir fry

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    I'd say that would be more for coating ribs and roasting them rather than using in a stir fry

Ye i just marinated the chicken fillets, put them in the oven for 30 minutes and it was lovely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ You do know that if you're trying to eat healthier store bought sauces like that are probably packed full of sugar, MSG and other such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

dibkins wrote: »
    I marinade my meat in soy, Chinese black vinegar, ginger, star anise, garlic, a little sugar, chilli sauce and Chinese cooking wine. I freeze it in batches in the freezer so it marinades as it defrosts. Also look or for things like oyster sauce or fish sauce, They are both sorta like soy, but have different character (neither taste of fish). Some sweet chilli might be good.

Brilliant idea. Am definitely going to try this!

I find that even the crappiest stir fry is elevated by the addition of fresh chilli and ginger and some nuts at the end, either peanuts or cashews.
    Fish sauce is the best ingredient ever.

^ You do know that if you're trying to eat healthier store bought sauces like that are probably packed full of sugar, MSG and other such things.

Yes just trying to mix it up once a week or so to try something different so not to get bored of the same thing every day.

Advertisement