Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McNally SwordsCC - Beginner/new member Spins in North County Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Did I see a bunch of you passing through Garristown earlier, at about half ten or a quarter to eleven?

Yep that was probably us. We stopped for a few minutes at the centra shop/petrol station

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Another great turnout this morning for the new members spin. Over 30 riders so we had two groups who completed a 50k spin around NCD. We'll done to all of you. It was great to see so many turn up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/197429181

And thankyou to you and your clubmates for a great spin. It was good fun and i found it a useful exercise to cycle at close quarters in a group. Great job by Swords CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

What Rambling Man said +1

Very welcoming club, nice spin on quiet, well surfaced roads

a great intro to club cycling
    Well done lads and lassies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep that was probably us. We stopped for a few minutes at the centra shop/petrol station

I was sitting on a bench outside the pub munching a banana as you came past, bright blue top. You came uphill through Garristown, i.e left it going southbound?

I was sitting on a bench outside the pub munching a banana as you came past, bright blue top. You came uphill through Garristown, i.e left it going southbound?

We're u with a chap in a Ring of Kerry Jersey?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nope, out on my own. i'd have joined you this morning, only i had to drop the wife off to her horseriding first - stuck the bike in the boot and headed out from the stables, but that meant a 10am start for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to avoid any confusion - I can confirm I was not the last finisher today - no the lady on the hybrid with a rapidly deflating rear tyre was definitely at least 5 metres behind me ....

There were two groups..both led by Swordscc members, so it's unlikely it was anyone else :) come along next Sunday if u can.

There were two groups..both led by Swordscc members, so it's unlikely it was anyone else :) come along next Sunday if u can.
    yep, i saw you both. about half a mile or a mile ahead of you was a bunch of lads in black and red jerseys, with 'give blood' on the front - any idea who they might have been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

yep, i saw you both. about half a mile or a mile ahead of you was a bunch of lads in black and red jerseys, with 'give blood' on the front - any idea who they might have been?

That would be our arch enemies the Blanch Wheelies

Blanch%20Wheelies.JPG

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah - with most clubs you get complaints of certain riders being wheelsuckers - that lot are a load of bloodsuckers ....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to avoid any confusion - I can confirm I was not the last finisher today - no the lady on the hybrid with a rapidly deflating rear tyre was definitely at least 5 metres behind me ....

You werent the last guy in swords kit on a black bike waiting in Naul?

I was certainly the last guy in a Swords kit The bike was dark grey though!

Did I accompany you up to the 3 Sisters where the rest were waiting?

Beasty wrote: »
    I was certainly the last guy in a Swords kit The bike was dark grey though!

Did I accompany you up to the 3 Sisters where the rest were waiting?

Yeah that was me. Thanks for sticking by

We passed so many busy churches I feel like I got mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

fillup wrote: »

Well surfaced roads? Was this a McNally Swords CC on tour somewhere other than NCD spin?

Inquitus wrote: »
    That would be our arch enemies the Blanch Wheelies

Blanch%20Wheelies.JPG

Also known as McNally Swords Metropolitan area CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I passed you all this morning. I was coming back through Ballyboughal at the time. Hopefully next Sunday I'll join you.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

fillup wrote: »

Ye obviously didn't take the road from Ballyboughal to Oldtown... I think that must be the worst stretch of road in NCD :-)

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Well surfaced roads? Was this a McNally Swords CC on tour somewhere other than NCD spin?

Compared to what I've been recently hitting out in Howth the majority of roads were grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Guys, once again, thanks for your time and efforts in organising these spins, I really enjoyed the last 2, looking forward to next Sundays.

Owen

Guys, once again, thanks for your time and efforts in organising these spins, I really enjoyed the last 2, looking forward to next Sundays.

Owen

No problem Owen.... Same time, same route next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Diggabot wrote: »
    Ye obviously didn't take the road from Ballyboughal to Oldtown... I think that must be the worst stretch of road in NCD :-)
    The road from Ballyboughal east towards Blakes Cross is like a ploughed field. They look like they've been bombed in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

What speed do you average?

Do you cover roughly 60km overall?

The road from Ballyboughal east towards Blakes Cross is like a ploughed field. They look like they've been bombed in places.

I don't mind that one, plenty of lunar craters on some parts alright, but it clears after about 2km and is quite a fast surface down to the R132. Anyway, off the point. it wasn't used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Try racing on it, it's great fun.....if only fingal would allow us :(

greenmat wrote: »
    Try racing on it, it's great fun.....if only fingal would allow us :(

"Thank you for the daaaaays...."

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Was up in Donegal for the weekend, so I missed this week. Did this instead http://www.strava.com/routes/971477

So looking forward to next Sunday.

Looks like I missed meeting Beasty as well, double damn.

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Nice forecast.

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Nice forecast.

Yep..think I'll take "the good bike" out for a spin before I put it away for the winter.

• Advertisement

Yep..think I'll take "the good bike" out for a spin before I put it away for the winter.

Don't declare this wonderful Indian summer closed just yet! These group spins for newbies are a great success. Encouraged me to join my local cycling club.

Don't declare this wonderful Indian summer closed just yet! These group spins for newbies are a great success. Encouraged me to join my local cycling club.

I'm only declaring that the summer bike will be replaced by my winter bike, once this Indian summer is over..

What club did you join? Swords I hope! :)

I'm only declaring that the summer bike will be replaced by my winter bike, once this Indian summer is over..

What club did you join? Swords I hope! :)

Blanch. Only joking. McNally.

Many thanks to everyone who turned up for the third and final intro spin this morning.

We'll be running a few more spins in November so I hope you all keep up the weekly cycling until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Many thanks to everyone who turned up for the third and final intro spin this morning.

We'll be running a few more spins in November so I hope you all keep up the weekly cycling until then.

Again, thanks for your time and the other members time again this morning. I think everyone appreciated it.

Now just to join up and deciding what group to go out with.

Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Again, thanks for your time and the other members time again this morning. I think everyone appreciated it.

Now just to join up and deciding what group to go out with.

Owen

Yes thanks to everyone for today's spin, had a great time. I'm also signing up, though I'm hoping to avoid the dog group and the grassy knoll sub group.

That was a great spin today. Felt alot easier then last week and even managed to hang onto the group. Thanks for organising

i think i passed you again this morning, maybe about half eleven near rolestown.
    still can't join you, i have to drive the wife to horseriding for 10am on sundays.

Puggy wrote: »
    Yes thanks to everyone for today's spin, had a great time. I'm also signing up, though I'm hoping to avoid the dog group and the grassy knoll sub group.

That dog had nice cadence but struggled on the climbs. Chased the group for 4km, obviously wants to join up

• Advertisement

i have to drive the wife to horseriding for 10am on sundays.
    I've the same problem, except it's 4 kids I have to head off to Kilronan with

is that the place on the old airport road? we head to thornton park.

Yep that's the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Great spin this morning. Massive turn out. I went for a burn with some of the juniors just after the break and brought two newbies with us. One has already said he will be joining the club he enjoyed it that much :)

stecleary wrote: »
    Great spin this morning. Massive turn out. I went for a burn with some of the juniors just after the break and brought two newbies with us. One has already said he will be joining the club he enjoyed it that much :)

You can probably make that 2. The other was mine, who was casually in the group then noticed the juniors burning off and for some reason unknown to himself decided to go after you guys. Very happy with his 60ks today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You don't happen to have a Monday or Tuesday cycle group for those like me who work every weekend do you?

• Advertisement

We have a spin on a Thursday morning... No spin on a Tuesday though.

We have a spin on a Thursday morning... No spin on a Tuesday though.
    That would suit better if that a fast group? I average about 27kph ish solo. I'd like to join a club but the weekend work is holding me back at the moment. Monday and/or Tuesdays are my days off but I could swap around easy enough if the Thursday group was within my speed.

The Thursday group sounds about right for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

iamtony wrote: »
    That would suit better if that a fast group? I average about 27kph ish solo. I'd like to join a club but the weekend work is holding me back at the moment. Monday and/or Tuesdays are my days off but I could swap around easy enough if the Thursday group was within my speed.

There's 2 groups on Thurs, make sure to take off with the lads in the Smartlamp kit if you fancy a good hard 80-100km

The Thursday group sounds about right for you so.
    Great I'm off to Spain this Tuesday for a few days I'll be in touch the following week hopefully thanks. So what would I have to do to get in with the Thursday group?

• Advertisement
Advertisement