Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A different licensing question

Options
  • 19-08-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

My friend would like to get into clay shooting. But his wife doesn't want a gun in the house,
    Could I store the gun for him in my house,
    Would I need a licence for his gun???
    I've guns and safes so there's no problems my end,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Yes you would probably more than likely need a license, plus you could be asked to upgrade your security requirements, depending on the super and number of firearms you already possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks jonty was thinking it be something along the lines of that,

So it's up to the local FO to decide if the two of us would be required to get a licence,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Well, think of it this way=

His gun, your safe mixed in with your guns, and you have no license for his gun. Technically you have access to an unlicensed firearm every time you open your safe.

Even if he has his own safe in your house, it would be reasonable for the Gardaí to assume that you have access to it and therefore require a license.

Of greater concern would be if they asked you to increase your security due to the number of guns under your roof.

It's the super's decision, not the FO

Sounds like too much hassle to me. I know you're trying to sort a buddy out, but he'd be better off sorting out his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I could be wrong but worth looking into, if he had his own safe in your house to which you had no key he might be ok?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

On the FCA1 there is a section that asks if the gun will be stored at another location/address than the one of the applicant.

The law allows for the transport of a firearm if the person transporting it does not have a license and they only transport it, not use it. So i'm sure there is a "clause" that allows for the storage of a firearm without the person storing it having a license. This would be the perfect scenario for the FPU. They will give a definite, and legal, yes or no.

If you don't need a license to store it then you're set. If you do then regardless of which safe it's in, etc. you'll have your answer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

ronn wrote: »
    My friend would like to get into clay shooting. But his wife doesn't want a gun in the house,
    Could I store the gun for him in my house,
    Would I need a licence for his gun???
    I've guns and safes so there's no problems my end,

I think everyone is approaching this from the wrong point of view. Ditch the wife, problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

aaakev wrote: »
    I could be wrong but worth looking into, if he had his own safe in your house to which you had no key he might be ok?

Correct Just about to say that,I know of one or two situations like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

:D
    bravestar wrote: »
    I think everyone is approaching this from the wrong point of view. Ditch the wife, problem solved :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

It's not an issue. I had mine stored in my mother's house for over a year, while I was renting. Just put down the location of them as being different from the residential address, and it was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

SVI40 wrote: »
    It's not an issue. I had mine stored in my mother's house for over a year, while I was renting. Just put down the location of them as being different from the residential address, and it was no problem.

Same here. Its still there. Was renting so couldn't keep it where I was. Also my mother has a monitored house alarm. CPO was out and theres never been an issue. She has no access to the safe so its actually probably even more secure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement