Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To big of a jump in distance?

• 19-08-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if a jump from 25km to 60km is to much in one go. As ther is a local festival and there running a 15 and 60km cycle. I can do 25km in just over an hour at an average speed of 23/24kph. 25km is the furthest distance I went on the bike so far. Btw im only 14 but I would be doing the cycle with my dad as he does a lot of cycling.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

should not be a problem. Pace yourself and you'll do it in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

my missus went from a 5k daily commute to doing the ring of kerry (170km) with 5 weeks of cycling done.. you'll have no bother doing the 60km long as you don't blaze off at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I was wondering if a jump from 25km to 60km is to much in one go. As ther is a local festival and there running a 15 and 60km cycle. I can do 25km in just over an hour at an average speed of 23/24kph. 25km is the furthest distance I went on the bike so far. Btw im only 14 but I would be doing the cycle with my dad as he does a lot of cycling.

Fair play to you...I wish i had your sense when i was 14!!
    Youll have no problem...pace yourself and tuck in behind the old man when theres a headwind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Friend of mine went from 40Km max distance to 107Km last weekend just dropped his pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Ok thanks. I will take my time and won't rush if I do the 60k cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

your fine i'm fifteen and started cycling at the end of may, i regularly did 25k cycles jumped to 50+ no bother.
    I did the tour of kildare 65k which was fine 2 weeks ago, then on sunday i did the 90k leinster loop.
    youll be fine honestly!!

what cycle is it you're looking at doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

what cycle is it you're looking at doing?[/quote]

Its a 60k cycle part of the Ballymachugh harvest festival. It's on Saturday 6th September in sheelin park. Registration at 10am, starts 11am. Thers also a 15k cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

:):) Go for it. Your doing 25km in a good average time. An increase in distance with a little bit lower average speed and you should be fine. It will be a lovely step up in distance.

I was helping a group of friends train for the Cycle Against Suicide and early on they couldnt do 12km, within a very short space of time, they did 70km :)

Positive mental attitude and all i.e. keep talkin to your legs!

Advertisement