Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classified Website

Options
  • 19-08-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I am trying to start up a classified website for a niche market and i am trying to get ads pusbished but it is hard to get people to publish ads on an empty site.

is there anything that you can think of that would help me get this business??

your help would greatly be appriciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hate to sound negative, but before you spend any time/money on this project, have a look through the dozens of old postings on this forum, from people setting up classifieds sites, then check out their sites, they're either dead or completely gone. Also, have a look at the deleted domain list on IEDR.ie, it's a graveyard for Done-Deal-type domain names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also check in the Entrepreneurial & Business Management. Classifieds unfortunately are in the graveyard of broken dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daddysway

I have a niche enough market and i was thinking that it would be a very good market to tap into.
    I have just setup an open source theme and classified template, so nothing much spent money wise as of yet.

if i was to continue, how would i proceed? how did the large classified websites get the info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Daddysway wrote: »
    ...how did the large classified websites get the info?

Mainly, they had a combination of: being first or early to market; having an existing large user base and brand from other media; or very large investments (6 figures min). Even having all of those factors is no guarantee of success. The rest fight over the scraps, niche or no niche.

So am I to just give up? Is there anything else I can try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I think that the word 'classified' has very negative connotations and the person using it has another idea in mind but expresses it via the word "classified".

@Daddysway I have a "classified site" in a niche market (ents). There was tumbleweed blowing through it at the start and I had no choice but to populate it with data myself to give it some traction.

Worked!

blue4ever wrote: »

@Daddysway I have a "classified site" in a niche market (ents). There was tumbleweed blowing through it at the start and I had no choice but to populate it with data myself to give it some traction.

Worked!

Thanks for your comment, positivity is what I am looking for. I am trying my best to get a few extra pound in this climate and I seem to be getting knock back after knock back and I think the website would do well. If there is anything I could try I would be greatful for ideas but I am def going to follow this site through to the end wether it fails or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

It will be hard to get the ball rolling, it's similar enough to starting a forum. The chances of making money are relatively slim but you will learn alot in the mean time. Can you pm me the niche you're hoping to tap into?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 123qwerty

Yes, I would agree with others unless you develop many, many, many artificial/fake post/ads from different IPs.
    DoneDeal took over the ovnership of any type of classfields and it will be very, very difficult to jump over donedeal in search results.
    Donedeal was in the business about 5 years before it was recognized, so you can imagine how long will it take for your website to become recognizable after donedeal and its clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Thanks for your comment, positivity is what I am looking for. I am trying my best to get a few extra pound in this climate and I seem to be getting knock back after knock back and I think the website would do well. If there is anything I could try I would be greatful for ideas but I am def going to follow this site through to the end wether it fails or not!

Well to be honest, there is it your own sweat equity going into it - then fire ahead. Your investment is your time. You'll also gain some valuable experience in doing this.

If you want to have an "aside" via email - PM me details and we'll take it from there. I can show you what I did and the results (traffic!).

• Advertisement

123qwerty wrote: »
    Donedeal was in the business about 5 years before it was recognized, so you can imagine how long will it take for your website to become recognizable after donedeal and its clones.

ok so to stick with my market, is there any other way i can get people talking about it? do i need to come up with another idea other than classified website? Is it "Easier" to tap into another type of market/idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Yea - my site was around about two years before I got any real traction

blue4ever wrote: »
    Yea - my site was around about two years before I got any real traction

Are you still around? how did you get yourself out there as such? its hard to get people to visit an empty or near empty site even if the adverts are for free!

You need to post a link to the site if you want advice on how to improve it.

daddysway.net is the link

sorry i taught i had it posted already - any advice would be greatly appriciated!

daddysway.net is the link

sorry i taught i had it posted already - any advice would be greatly appriciated!

"Only registered users are allowed to post listings"

Death sentence right there. Merge the registration and ad posting processes. Make them as simple as possible, and if possible put the form on the homepage so the user can see the amount of work involved, and can post an ad, without leaving the homepage.

The design itself is quite bland, no graphics, it needs a family theme. But I wouldn't worry about that at this stage, get your forms sorted first.

cormee wrote: »

Merge the registration and ad posting processes.

Do you mean that when you click on publish ad, that it brings you straight to the registration page? and then when you input the regsitration details it brings you to the publishing page?

ok i have just changed it now - so you do not need to register to publish an advert - so it should be straight forward enough.

and when the advert is publish the publisher is asked if he/she would like to make it a premium ad.

?????

Do you mean that when you click on publish ad, that it brings you straight to the registration page? and then when you input the regsitration details it brings you to the publishing page?

If I was doing it I'd have a collapsible div on the homepage, the user clicks "Post Ad", the div expands and the form (including registration) is there.

Your current process seems to be Click button > Click Register Account button > Fill registration form > Confirm registration > Return to site > Log in > Click Post Ad > Fill out form > Submit

What I proposed above would replace that whole process.

ok i have just changed it now - so you do not need to register to publish an advert - so it should be straight forward enough.

and when the advert is publish the publisher is asked if he/she would like to make it a premium ad.

?????

Thanks i have it changed now, do you think this would be a better option than before - this way at least i will get items posted??

• Advertisement

To spread the word you should use social media ie. facebook. There are plenty pages that allow post items/products/services for free.

There are plenty pages that allow post items/products/services for free.

You mean to create a new facebook page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You mean to create a new facebook page?
    No he's talking about gumtree, adverts and many more.

Or
    facebook.com/ArklowBuySell
    facebook.com/pages/Kilkenny-Items-For-Sale-Or-Free/252714648130868
    facebook.com/pages/Buy-and-Sell-in-your-local-area/107630122598770
    or
    wikihow.com/Sell-on-Facebook

and similar pages, use google :)

Or
    facebook.com/ArklowBuySell
    facebook.com/pages/Kilkenny-Items-For-Sale-Or-Free/252714648130868
    facebook.com/pages/Buy-and-Sell-in-your-local-area/107630122598770
    or
    wikihow.com/Sell-on-Facebook

and similar pages, use google :)

OK Sorry Guys but how is this going to help me and my site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of these site are around for years before they take off. Usually as a niche market place for a club or similar with a common interest. Perhaps commuters, phones, etc. When they get the numbers up the start adding other sections. Or they just stay at the club/niche level.

Add a link to your site from your forum signature, add meaningful posts to relevant forums.

Maybe set up an RSS feed and use dlvr.it to push new adverts to Twitter, Facebook, Google+ (this suggestion is based on a low volume of new postings)

Good to see you've merged those forms, you need to jazz up the front end of your site though. It's quite plain.

Tell all your friends, neighbours, etc. who have kids to post the stuff they want to sell, or if they're lazy sods, you collect it off them, post the adverts and sell it for them. It's a lot of extra work but you'll be getting great content. You'd only need to do it until you start getting traffic and organic advert postings.

Guys

just an update on this - i have 17 adverts placed on my site without promoting it at all!
    not sure how the word got out there or if people just serached for a buy and sell site for baby items or not but thats pretty good even thou im not pushing it anywhere.

Is this a good sign? have a look so far

daddysway.net

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CptnCrunch

I dont know man, If I were buying baby stuff I'd use main ads websites, Donedeal, Adverts etc and use something like adsearch.ga to search them all at once.

If I were you i'd either put all my effort into a fully fledged Ad network or not bother at all.

• Advertisement

A fully fledged ad network ?? What do you mean by that?

Advertisement