Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House purchase without Auctioneer.

Options
  • 19-08-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I got news today that a house nearby will be for sale soon and the owner wants a private sale without an Auctioneer.

Whats the procedure for a sale like this, is it all done through your solicitors once a price is agreed and the mortgage is secured?

Anything advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

murph226 wrote: »
    I got news today that a house nearby will be for sale soon and the owner wants a private sale without an Auctioneer.

Whats the procedure for a sale like this, is it all done through your solicitors once a price is agreed and the mortgage is secured?

Anything advice greatly appreciated.

Dont pay a booking deposit directly to the vendor. Pay it to either his solicitor or, preferably put it in escrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Yes I did the same last year. Get the solicitors to handle all of the finance end of things like you have said. We had everything done and keys in hand after a month so worked out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you hoping to buy the house?

Does the vendor want to sell it to you?

Is there a price agreed? If not, then how will negotiations be handled if there's no estate-agent (I guess that's what you mean by "auctioneer") to act as the go-between? There's no single answer to this - you need to make up the process that works for you. (You might be just about to fnd out why estate-agents are something worth their while.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Yes I'm hoping to buy the house and I'm pretty sure the vendor wants to sell it to me.

No price agreed yet, I suppose I will find out if Auctioneers/Estate Agents are worth their over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I sold my gaff privately, person came to look, offered money, negotiated with no bull and we all came to a happy place in the middle. THey never paid a deposit because being honest, its worth nothing and I was happy to have someone buying (its not Dublin.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Bit of an update, my offer was accepted the week before last, solicitors are sorting out the paperwork at the moment.

Similar to TheDriver, I viewed the house, was told the asking price, made my offer, bit of toing and froing and we met in the middle.

No requirement for an Auctioneer/Estate Agent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I bought mine private sale negotiated with seller came to a price we were both happy with . They had the house valued so we both knew what it was worth and went from there . I am signing contracts today after about 8 weeks but that was just solicitors being a bit slow etc but no issues. Didn't pay a deposit solicitor handled all finances

Advertisement