Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

taking herself to galway for a few nights for her 40th, was planning on staying in the house hotel, any views on the hotel appreciated

whats a nice restaurant for a meal

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

house hotel tres nice - if herself likes cocktails you are laughing

Meals? Try the High Cafe above Bunch of Grapes - can bring own wine and the food is amazing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Aniar.
    La fine Bouche.
    Rouge. All nice depending on budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

wprathead wrote: »
    Meals? Try the High Cafe above Bunch of Grapes - can bring own wine and the food is amazing

+1 for High Café. Gem.

Also Oscars, La Fine Bouche, Rouge

In my opinion Aniar is Emperors New Clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Red Pepper wrote: »
    +1 for High Café. Gem.

Also Oscars, La Fine Bouche, Rouge

In my opinion Aniar is Emperors New Clothes

One really awful (staff) experience put me off Hight St. Didn't even stay to eat. Must give it another chance as friends all love the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As always, do not use threads where someone ask for a recommendation to get a dig in at some business. Stick with recommendations only...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Oscars

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I like High Cafe: it's cheap (ish - not as much as it was), cheerful and fast. But it's also crowded and loud (which adds to the Moroccan atmohsphere IMHO). Not a place I'd go for a special dinner.

OP, if ye are into fancy food, try Kai or Dela. If you like Indian, Tulsi. Or Asian - Asian Kitchen.

But if you're the conservative all-meals-must-have-potatoes types (yes, there are a surprising number living her like that) - McSwiggans is THE place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Dela is good. Martine's steak was the 2nd best steak I've ever had. Really nice place too and staff were lovely. High Café is like my regular but I would agree its a bit more casual and can be hectic at times. Still great food and lovely place.

Have you considered going to Mc Donagh's take away and take her down Sparch with a bottle of Buckfast?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Must give dela a try. I think Kai is a bit over-rated on here tbh.

Raw has great sushi if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Have you considered going to Mc Donagh's take away and take her down Sparch with a bottle of Buckfast?

Oh timmy you auld romantic you
    *flutters eye lashes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Asian Tea House is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I've been in Kai, Dela, Vina Mara & The Brasserie over the past 6 months, all worth going back to.

If you like Asian food, Lime is nice (it's at the Spanish Arch, so around the corner from the hotel).

There are a few nice places on Quay St as well (e.g. Martine's was mentioned but I haven't been).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was at Vina Mara yesterday. They still have the 10E main course deal.
    The main is a little small but tbh it only meant I could get some of their lovely desserts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

Can't beat the high cafe for something casual.

Oscars if you're looking for more of an occassion and like seafood.....I can rarely look past their monkfish special.

Raw is great too but sushi is not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I like High Cafe: it's cheap (ish - not as much as it was), cheerful and fast. But it's also crowded and loud (which adds to the Moroccan atmohsphere IMHO). Not a place I'd go for a special dinner.

OP, if ye are into fancy food, try Kai or Dela. If you like Indian, Tulsi. Or Asian - Asian Kitchen.

But if you're the conservative all-meals-must-have-potatoes types (yes, there are a surprising number living her like that) - McSwiggans is THE place.

Love High Cafe but its anything but fast, we always go before we are particularly hungry as weve waited more than half an hour for food on numerous occasions, always worth the wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aniar. Their tasting menu is honestly the best meal I've had in my life - absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'd go for rouge. Great atmosphere, lovely food and service. Their wine list is lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Artisan, really great food relaxed atmosphere and good for people watching if you get a table by window

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

It's a shame we're not allowed to say anything remotely critical of local businesses here. Seen some posts here I'd emphatically disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I really disliked High Cafe when I was there, I waited over 30 mins for a meal for lunch - it was far too long! The food didn't win me over either.

I really like Oscars , Thai Garden & Kai for dinner. Martines on Quay St for Lunch.. they do good deals also the restaurant in The Museum at the Spanish arch is tasty.

Enjoy your trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement