Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi transmitter question

Options
  • 19-08-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

hi
    a guy told me there is a device I can plug in to a plug socket, and it will transmit a signal down the line to a receiver at the other end.
    this would enable me to have strong wifi in my shed about 50 yards away.
    has anyone heard/using this?

I want to use the WIFI to install a camera in my shed.
    thanks
    H2FF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Here's what you are looking for:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/devolo-dlan-500-mbps-wireless-powerline-adapter/318499/148.5

The strength of the signal on the other side depends on a lot of things. What's the speed of the broadband you have at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is your shed and wherever you have your modem plugged in connected to the same mains distribution board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I dont know the speed, im not there for another two wks

Yes its on the same board, but theres a trip switch in between the two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Once they have the supply on the same phase then from the electrical point of view you have a connection but as others have said the speed may be variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wont the OP need two, one to plug near his access port, an Ethernet lead will link the adaptor to the router, then another one out in the shed?

I've used a number of these but always on the wired to wired side, the speed is never great but they do work. I've put them into houses where kids have used them for gaming PS3/Xbox 360 and they were "fast" enough for that, just about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement