Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spinning

Options
  • 19-08-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

i was fishing on the liffey and a fella from the IFI came down to me, i was spinning for pike at the time, he told me its a 150 fine for using more than a single barbless hook.. i showed him the spinner i was using and the other lures i had in my box, i have pushed the barbs down on all the lures i use down there and i showed him that, he said it doesnt matter because ur only allowed use a single barbless hook, thankfuly he didnt fine me but would the next time he caught me using more the singe hook, In fairness he was jus doing his job,he seemed like a sound fella and we chatted for a few minutes after that. Most of my fish have been caught on plugs and jointed minnows etc, has anyone ever gone spinning wit a single hook on there lure and how did they find it, i myself cant see it workin myself because some of the lures are 7 or 8 inches long and a single hook on one of them isnt enough to hook a pike id say!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Ah the stupid liffey salmon bye laws. Rearing their head in a lot of threads on here lately. I have had to start using big single barbless hooks on my pike deadbait rigs even. Very annoying.

It means that using wide bodies lures for pike such as crankbaits/plugs and jerkbaits is nearly impossible due to the width of the lures, singles just dont work. But sure once we dont accidentlally catch a salmon on those wicked trebles there will be more left for the lads at island bridge to prawn fish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ye its annoyin, most of the time i go fishin im on my own so id rather be spinning, its very boring if ur doing bait fishing on your own id be driven mad watchin the top of the rod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

I didn't think there was a law for spinning for pike Or lures ect ? as pike do have big teeth and are power full u need barbed hooks once u strike at right time before goes down to deep it's always fine?

How can he give a fine ? I wouldn't pay it:)

no he didnt but next time he said he would...he said i can spin as long as i can remove the trebles and put on singles it seems ridiculous with some of the lures i use, the chance of hooking a pike wit a single barbless would be slim and none..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I fly fish for pike all over (inc the Liffey btw) and my flies are always tied on single, crimped barb hooks - never had an issue hooking or holding fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

The rules are single barbless hooks only. Not being funny but you must abide by the rules or fish elsewhere.

However often I see people spinning for trout on the Boyne with trebbles and they dont get caught and they know they wont either. Since the new regulations came in I think it was 2007 I have never seen anybody from IFI along the river. But you will see people with bags of dead trout caught on mepps etc.

Where were you on the liffey? Were you in a place where access is easy and not too much effort involved in getting to the river? Thats where you will get the IFI boys.

thats were i was... its only 2mins from my house so i pop over when ive a free hour r two.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

thats were i was... its only 2mins from my house so i pop over when ive a free hour r two.

Wot part of the liffey do u fish for pike and do u get results,,, salmon fishing is ruining pike fishing and it's all I fish for

Wot part of the liffey do u fish for pike and do u get results,,, salmon fishing is ruining pike fishing and it's all I fish for

Salmon fishing is ruining pike fishing really? I can't stop laughing.....

In Canada anglers catch 11 and 12 foot long sturgeons on barbless single hooks, I've seen it myself. And you lads are struggling with a few little river pike! Come on now its a bad tradesman who blames his tools.

• Advertisement

Flysfisher wrote: »
    In Canada anglers catch 11 and 12 foot long sturgeons on barbless single hooks, I've seen it myself. And you lads are struggling with a few little river pike! Come on now its a bad tradesman who blames his tools.
    sorry im not up to ur standard of fishing, maybe someday ill be at your level...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

You are showing your ignorance now. Tell me how you fish a jerkbait or a wide bodied plug with a barbless single. Tell me how you fish deadbaits with barbless singles without having to resort to very large singles that risk piercing the exposed blood vessels in a pikes throat. Tell me how easy it is to long trot on a river and not bump fish off on barbless singles?

But sure its all grand fellas in Canada catch fish you have seen it and all!
    The point is that the methods the bye laws impinge upon catch very very few if any Salmon on the liffey but all the while Salmon anglers can specifically target salmon on shrimp. I would think there is a much higher risk to the Salmon population from en masse catch and release than there is from the extremely rare cases where they might take a deadbait or a plug.

excellent post bio tech...

Bio Mech wrote: »
    You are showing your ignorance now. Tell me how you fish a jerkbait or a wide bodied plug with a barbless single. Tell me how you fish deadbaits with barbless singles without having to resort to very large singles that risk piercing the exposed blood vessels in a pikes throat. Tell me how easy it is to long trot on a river and not bump fish off on barbless singles?

But sure its all grand fellas in Canada catch fish you have seen it and all!
    The point is that the methods the bye laws impinge upon catch very very few if any Salmon on the liffey but all the while Salmon anglers can specifically target salmon on shrimp. I would think there is a much higher risk to the Salmon population from en masse catch and release than there is from the extremely rare cases where they might take a deadbait or a plug.

Salmon anglers spin with flying Cs and tobys with single hooks with success. I agree its tricky on plugs and jerk baits etc but maybe a change of spnner is in order.

sorry im not up to ur standard of fishing, maybe someday ill be at your level...

Ah now come on no need for that abuse.:P:P

you started it by implying i was a bad tradesman..haha....but the point i was trying to make was i was spinning spinners and i was catching small jacks , when i started buying the bigger hard bodied plugs the size of my fish went up, no monsters but bigger jacks, most of the time u'd b lucky to get two out six hooks in the pikes mouth never mine a single barbless hook.. i dont have a problem landing the fish with the barbs pushed down, i have used rubber shads on a one hook jig head wit the barb pushed down and its a lot easier for the pike to spit it out because the hook is bigger and when the fish is fighting hard and jumping outta the water etc,the hook leaves a bigger hole in the mouth of the fish the compared to a treble.

Salmon anglers spin with flying Cs and tobys with single hooks with success. I agree its tricky on plugs and jerk baits etc but maybe a change of spnner is in order.

I don't rate Flying Cs for big pike really they are too small and don't suit a lot of situations. You could try a large spoon but with a single hook you again have issues as the point is a long way from the body and hooking success drops a lot. There is quite a difference in how and where you spin for pike and Salmon and they occupy very different niches.

I am genuinely not being difficult here but I have been fishing the liffey for 30 years and I am basing this on experience. I have probably caught thousands of liffey fish and maybe 10 to 15 salmon on it. Hundreds of pike and perch. In all that time I have never once hooked a salmon while fishing for pike or perch. The only Salmon I have had hooked on it have all been either while specifically fishing for salmon or once on a fairly large gold head hares ear fishing for trout which I didn't land.

So you can perhaps see my frustration that I cant fish how I want to based on the assumed prevention of something that has never happened in thousands of hours fishing.

And again I would highlight that if this is a conservation measure why is prawn fishing allowed, why is catch and released allowed in low summer conditions, why are guys allowed fish known salmon lies with spinners? Which do you think is more risk to Salmon? Personally I don't have a lot of faith in the there being a high survival rate of low water, low oxygen caught salmon in the summer. But that's allowed. Its unfair to non Salmon anglers and its counter productive IMO.

Anyway at the risk of sounding like a broken record I rest my case.

Advertisement