Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities: Skylines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be really pretty you also have to do things that make no financial sense whatsoever. So for example, the big airports you see on Reddit are all massively loss making.

One thing I've started doing is basically working on some countryside. So I have my initial city, and then a few small towns nearby. They are connected by motorway, but also by small two lane "backroads" and then along this backroads at junctions, or just random points I'll point a few houses and some shops.

If there is a woodland I'll put a dirt track into and just dot some woodland industry in there.

The only thing that ruins this aesthetic is powerlines, they look crap. So I downloaded a solar panel asset from the workshop. Its a small 1x1 panel you can stick near your village to power it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Do you think this will be included in the Steam Summer sale? I've been watching some YouTube gamers play this and I'm itching to try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Do you think this will be included in the Steam Summer sale? I've been watching some YouTube gamers play this and I'm itching to try it!

Can be gotten pretty cheaply at this stage. But, probably more convinient if it drops price during the steam sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Julez wrote: »
    Can be gotten pretty cheaply at this stage. But, probably more convinient if it drops price during the steam sale.

I've this on my wishlist alright for summer sale, if its drops to a nice price will pick it up. Looks fantastic, just couldn't see myself getting the time for it on launch.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've this on my wishlist alright for summer sale, if its drops to a nice price will pick it up. Looks fantastic, just couldn't see myself getting the time for it on launch.

It's on sale right now for 25% off so €20.99 but they have flash sales and daily sales so it might drop even more. I'm going to keep an eye on this!

It's on sale right now for 25% off so €20.99 but they have flash sales and daily sales so it might drop even more. I'm going to keep an eye on this!

Yeah saw that

Going to hold off and see if it hits 50%. Will probably keep 25% for the duration of the sale so no immediate rush. Although will definitely be buying it during the sale at some point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Got this in the sale, I immediately regret this decision as is so bloody addictive!!! :D love it so far!

Had my first city up to 25k pop, built a couple of dams, in a new map sector, to go green (successfully too, no flooding), demolished my wind turbine farms and coal power plants, minimised the game to go read tips on the interweb, came back after about 10 mins, pop 50.............d'f*ck!!! Everywhere was abandoned, it was a ghost town, I forgot to connect the entire city to the new grid, :P rookie mistake!

So I got this game in the Steam Sale and I am hooked!

Here's my first city; I think I'm doing ok so far?!

Sakura Vale album

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So I got this game in the Steam Sale and I am hooked!

Here's my first city; I think I'm doing ok so far?!

Sakura Vale album

Not bad but I imagine you'll soon hit traffic problems unless you address it soon :)

Not bad but I imagine you'll soon hit traffic problems unless you address it soon :)

Yup. 2 hours and 2,000 citizens later and boom, traffic troubles. I'm working on trying to sort it out but I may have to do some deleting! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

My first successful city (150k pop) is dying on me. The problem is trains. Too many of the buggers. I had an 'ingenious' policy of not hooking up all towns to the motorways, just trains and subways. All going well until I noticed a good few 'no goods to sell' popping up, took a look in my industrial region, gridlocked with trains. Tried several things including central depots, and more train lines, but trains were spawning at the industrial stations faster than other trains could get in to offload. Complete shambles. I've built some ind.areas closer to my towns and connected them up, but they're complaining about workers and res demand is negative (probably cos there's nothing to buy in the flamin' shops :D).

Oh well, took about 2 weeks of my life, but learned loads.

My only problem is that starting a whole new city, the first few hours are the worst, "only one type of road?", "where are the subways?", "oh God, I'm bankrupt, again!". I might just turn on infinite money and go create the city of my dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

All my cities die out fairly quickly.
    My 1st died out to traffic and illness at 15k
    My most recent died out to not having enough goods to sell (i have no idea why, i had a HUGE industrial district and NO traffic at all) , at 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just under €15 on Gamesrocket. I got my Steam key yesterday and redeemed it.

It will probably go into a backlog for a while until I clear a few games. I look forward to playing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've 85 hours put into this game and I still can't maintain a city :o I've a low attention span so I end up making another map to ruin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've 85 hours put into this game and I still can't maintain a city :o I've a low attention span so I end up making another map to ruin :pac:

Me too :P. It's too addictive. I design a city and have everything up and running. Then there's a few problems and I always start a new city. I'm afraid to start playing it because I know the whole day will be gone :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Bought this in the steam sale, all seems good except for the Garbage collection. There seems to be a HUGE amount of garbage generated compared to Simcity 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kowloon wrote: »
    Bought this in the steam sale, all seems good except for the Garbage collection. There seems to be a HUGE amount of garbage generated compared to Simcity 4.

Incinerators are your friend

I never played this game with mods, I always felt cheated. But today I said f* it, turned on infinite money and first-person mode and enjoyed myself. This is what I've managed, so far;

C08494280DE793A961EC5A94D4200098181AAC96

A04D45D4A4DCD1001DFC1A8D55C1C88919C24B16

B5C1F92DA9D13FE72E79F3DE65D28E3DC43BF8F0

FC723DF89AE0E0A9C615345A5195872E0D788205

5DE34AC606864DFFBC723C004D39A3D25E449871

and yes, that is Stark Tower :P

I would say there are 2 ways to play: play it like a game where you have to "win", achieve targets, maintain budget, etc. The other way is to play as a town planner, turn on everything, infinite money, straight to metropolis, etc and just build the city of your dreams. I did the second one on my current city (the one that was dying above, I've just finished a massive industrial rebuild closer to my commercial areas, and things are looking up :D) and it laid out as I want it from the start, not putting everything close together cos you have no money and then having to rebuild later. I built an airport before I had even a 1000 cims, just because I had the perfect place to put it, and the money and availability for it.

• Advertisement

After a month of going back and forth with Steam support about my workshop issue, they've come back and explained how the workshop link works. In Big Picture mode, when you go into Library and click on C:S, you get 5 or 6 tabs, the one marked "play" is open first. To the right is the workshop one. I'm 90% sure that before this problem, when I scroll over to the workshop tab, there's a button there to open the workshop, but they've told me I can just press 'enter'. Pressing enter does work, but does anybody else have an actual 'browse workshop' button or am I quite, quite mad?!

Mine is attached

Game is great but it's really starting to annoy me. I've scoured the interweb for an answer but it's not being cooperative!! I find that when my city gets to around 50k pop the speed of the game grinds to a halt, not the fps or anything like that, the actual speed that time passes by. I can't increase the speed on the transition of time and days become pretty slow. It's really annoying when it takes 20/30 mins to build up enough money to build anything that's reasonably expensive.

Has anyone else experienced this, the slow down of time (not the graphics or spawning), it's really annoying me and I don't wanna have to give up on this game!

Specs of my computer are (before I'm asked :rolleyes:):

CPU: AMD A8-6600k Quad Core 3.9Ghz
    GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming Edition
    RAM: 16Gb

All drivers and BIOS are up to date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think I noticed that too, everything seems to operate fine though, and now FPS slowdown. CPU usage is never high. I don't fully understand it. I thought it was my imagination a few weeks ago but clearly there's something else underlying. Do you have mods added?

Yeah I've only a few though, max 10, so not too many as I wanted to keep it as vanilla as possible. Couldn't tell you what though at the mo, in work. FPS is fine, it's the actual transition of time in game that's the problem for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It happens after a number of population is reached depending on your RAM and CPU/GPU. I can easily reach 150k without experiencing a slowing down. Have friends who can get up to 50/100k and it'll start to slow down. It's related to the amount of RAM and your comp specs

Yeah, recommended is 6Gb Ram and companies always overstate in the rec specs to cover most eventualities. I've 16 Gb so must have a look at the RAM usage and see if there's other stuff running in the background that probably don't need to be and are probably causing the problem.

• Advertisement

Do you have the traffic ++ mod? This caused my game to slow down at 50k. When I removed it and started a new game I could get well past 50k.

Really!!! That is one I've added. Will remove that and give it a try later. Cheers SJ!

From doing some light reading about performance, it appears there is a number of popular mods, that actually drastically reduce performance(or impact performance).

Worth checking out mods before installing to make sure they dont have adverse impacts

Will report back later :cool:

I'm at 170k and there's no difference between the 3 times speeds, but everything is moving ok to my eyes. Doesn't bother me too mkuch, I'm never waiting around for money

• Advertisement

Seems to be working grand now after removing Traffic++

Happy now :D

I have traffic ++ again in my city. I love it for the bus lanes and other features. Really hope it gets an update to remove this bug.

I'm testing something out at the moment, trying to hold off on the buses at the moment. Building a fairly expansive underground system and going to eventually provide free public transport and see what effect it has on traffic in the long run. The thing I miss about Traffic++ is the bus lanes, why they aren't in the vanilla game is beyond me! But in my new city (had to start again after removing the mod) I don't seem to be having much traffic problems.

A trick I've found with roundabouts is to build the actual circle itself as a 3 lane highway, this forces the roundabout to be one way like they are in reality, has plenty of routes around it and it keeps traffic flowing really well. Roads that lead in and out then are usually 6 lane carriageways to keep things moving along nicely. Seems to be working well so far.

I just use standard one lane roads. They don't produce traffic lights and its fairly easy to create a road system thats free flowing.

I just use standard one lane roads. They don't produce traffic lights and its fairly easy to create a road system thats free flowing.

Free flowing is not always good. Having a freee flowing junction with heavy traffic means that cars come and go as they please. Having traffic lights regulates the flow of traffic.

Yeah, it might looks like it's moving all the time but it's not doing it very quickly. I tend to have large roads with roundabouts around the perimeter of an area with one or two through the middle with normal roads into blocks. I'll also have one or two roundabouts along these routes that have two (in and out) underground highway connections to the main external highways, especially handy in industrial or business districts.

Lockheed wrote: »
    Free flowing is not always good. Having a freee flowing junction with heavy traffic means that cars come and go as they please. Having traffic lights regulates the flow of traffic.

I never have heavy traffic, I have bypasses and tunnels to other parts of my city before they even reach any neighbourhoods etc. I'll grab some screenshots later and show you how my operation works. I have 0 traffic problems and 0 heavy traffic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Not sure if it's my road layout, but I have a ton of death/poison symbols above all my buildings, indicating that a hearse can't get to the location :/

But on a lighter note, I love this game :)

Successfully reached 60k pop without any slow down in the game! Also think I've just built the most elaborate underground network of highways!! Traffic is looking pretty well apart from a couple of places!

Successfully reached 60k pop without any slow down in the game! Also think I've just built the most elaborate underground network of highways!! Traffic is looking pretty well apart from a couple of places!

I take it that traffic ++ is off?

• Advertisement

I take it that traffic ++ is off?

Yep! Hopefully the new update forces the author of the mod to fix any underlying issues that might be impacting performance. I miss bus lanes!

Yep! Hopefully the new update forces the author of the mod to fix any underlying issues that might be impacting performance. I miss bus lanes!

I'm addicted to watching the buses go around my city. Tend to use the first person camera to go for a spin and admire my work :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm so tempted to buy this game :(

I'm so tempted to buy this game :(

It's worth every penny :)

It's worth every penny :)

Next sale or price drop. I'm just about to buy a Nvidia 980

i have huge problems with FPS- I get 5-10 fps constantly, my PC has 8GB HyperX ram, Intel I3-4160, and a gigabyte/nvidia gtx-750. Can anyone help?

Lockheed wrote: »
    i have huge problems with FPS- I get 5-10 fps constantly, my PC has 8GB HyperX ram, Intel I3-4160, and a gigabyte/nvidia gtx-750. Can anyone help?

Post it in the PC techie forums, those lads will sort ya out.

8GB? Maybe upgrade to 32.

But that should not be giving you frames of 5-10.

Check drivers, sli, hdd, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

32GB of RAM is a bit too much. 16GB is advised for extreme gaming. 8GB is sufficient.

Lockheed, check your nvidia drivers, that could be an issue.

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    32GB of RAM is a bit too much. 16GB is advised for extreme gaming. 8GB is sufficient.

Lockheed, check your nvidia drivers, that could be an issue.

I upgraded to 32. Made a huge diff with Arkham Knight.

Advertisement