Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWOL British Army

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm an Irish lad who joined the British Army when I was 18 (19 now), I recently passed basic training but have decided I want to leave to go to UCD and study business but legally can't leave until I'm 23. I've talked to my superiors but they told me there's no way out until my contracts up. My question is, once I'm finished college will I have trouble emigrating to Canada? I know Canada is in the Commonwealth but will they see being AWOL as a reason to not grant me entry?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ryan095 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm an Irish lad who joined the British Army when I was 18 (19 now), I recently passed basic training but have decided I want to leave to go to UCD and study business but legally can't leave until I'm 23. I've talked to my superiors but they told me there's no way out until my contracts up. My question is, once I'm finished college will I have trouble emigrating to Canada? I know Canada is in the Commonwealth but will they see being AWOL as a reason to not grant me entry?

Isn't there a period like 6 months within which you are entitled to ask to be discharged? DAOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My question is, once I'm finished college will I have trouble emigrating to Canada? I know Canada is in the Commonwealth but will they see being AWOL as a reason to not grant me entry?

From a quick google search, the answer seems to be yes - you will be refused entry, due to having a conviction, assuming that you are convicted of being AWOL.

There seems to be a few articles online of people going AWOL from the British army and then wanting to move to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ryan095

Marcusm wrote: »
    Isn't there a period like 6 months within which you are entitled to ask to be discharged? DAOR?

Its 3 months

Paulw wrote: »
    From a quick google search, the answer seems to be yes - you will be refused entry, due to having a conviction, assuming that you are convicted of being AWOL.

There seems to be a few articles online of people going AWOL from the British army and then wanting to move to Canada.

Can you link me to one? I've been looking all day and can't find any. I'll be applying for the visa from Ireland so how exactly would they find out I'm AWOL if I never tell them I served?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If you tell them that you no longer believe in her majestys imperial ambitions maybe they will give you a disharge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Can you not still buy your way out? Surely its best to leave with things tidy rather than for something to crop up years down the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As other posters mentioned, the UK forces take AWOL seriously as per a fairly recent case where an Irishman was picked up transiting through the UK after skipping from the army years ago. Thus important to leave on amicable terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You would be better off posting on ARSE, AWOL on record can be a strange beast that can crop up in the strangest of situations. A lad I worked with was offered a great promotion, 6 figure salary, paid apartment, flash car and the background check came back he was AWOL so that ended his career. Roles that require security checks could also be an issue, I have it on good authority that there are plans to link the UK security clearance system to a multinational security check, that could cause problems down the line.

In my military days I spent 6 months as a regimental guard commander, I recall at least 6 soldiers being returned to the unit mostly by giving themselves up. You would probably get to Canada but you would always have one eye over your shoulder, one lad was in his 70's he went AWOL in the 50's and still felt guilty after 50 years.......We put him in the jail for 4 hours and sent him on his way with an official sentence report, he was happy man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

You could fake serious depression for a Medical Discharge?
    Or state that you are a Conscientious Objector to warfare, in which case you may be honorably discharged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is there no way you can serve the term and leave college until later? The fact you've served in the Army might stand you in better stead then- shows you can knuckle down and see something through. I used to work for the Army back home and know they do a good job in resettling soldiers once they've served their term.

And the Army will sponsor you through college - Did you know that?

Or you could just raise the funds and buy yourself out. Those are the options I can see.

krissovo wrote: »
    You would be better off posting on ARSE, AWOL on record can be a strange beast that can crop up in the strangest of situations. A lad I worked with was offered a great promotion, 6 figure salary, paid apartment, flash car and the background check came back he was AWOL so that ended his career. Roles that require security checks could also be an issue, I have it on good authority that there are plans to link the UK security clearance system to a multinational security check, that could cause problems down the line.

In my military days I spent 6 months as a regimental guard commander, I recall at least 6 soldiers being returned to the unit mostly by giving themselves up. You would probably get to Canada but you would always have one eye over your shoulder, one lad was in his 70's he went AWOL in the 50's and still felt guilty after 50 years.......We put him in the jail for 4 hours and sent him on his way with an official sentence report, he was happy man!

Were you in the British Army? I made a stupid decision and joined straight out of school as my family was in a dire financial situation at the time and wasn't able to pay for me to go to college. My Canadian girlfriend who lives in Ireland came to visit when I was on weekend leave during basic training and now I've just found out she's pregnant, and if I want to have any kind of relationship with my child staying the other 3 years isn't an option. I never intend on returning to Britain so I'm not worried about being arrested down the line, although 6 months in Colchester sounds better serving the other three years.

Is there no way you can serve the term and leave college until later? The fact you've served in the Army might stand you in better stead then- shows you can knuckle down and see something through. I used to work for the Army back home and know they do a good job in resettling soldiers once they've served their term.

And the Army will sponsor you through college - Did you know that?

Or you could just raise the funds and buy yourself out. Those are the options I can see.

My girlfriends pregnant so finishing my terms not an option. As far as I know buying myself out isn't an option either

Now you're being silly, and not thinking straight. You need to take a deep breath and calm down. Jumping straight in has already landed you in this situation and you now need to think clearly.

The Army will provide quarters for your family. That isn't in question. And yes - if you pop your head above the parapet for any reason, you'll be returned and sent to the glasshouse. Not ideal for your new family.

Why can't you either:

Serve out your term. Can you transfer to another regiment - Is that an option?

Or

Buy yourself out? Have you talked to someone about buying yourself out? What research have you done?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Were you in the British Army? I made a stupid decision and joined straight out of school as my family was in a dire financial situation at the time and wasn't able to pay for me to go to college. My Canadian girlfriend who lives in Ireland came to visit when I was on weekend leave during basic training and now I've just found out she's pregnant, and if I want to have any kind of relationship with my child staying the other 3 years isn't an option. I never intend on returning to Britain so I'm not worried about being arrested down the line, although 6 months in Colchester sounds better serving the other three years.

Why not tell them that? They might give you an exceptional discharge or might even give you family quarters?

Now you're being silly, and not thinking straight. You need to take a deep breath and calm down. Jumping straight in has already landed you in this situation and you now need to think clearly.

The Army will provide quarters for your family. That isn't in question. And yes - if you pop your head above the parapet for any reason, you'll be returned and sent to the glasshouse. Not ideal for your new family.

Why can't you either:

Serve out your term. Can you transfer to another regiment - Is that an option?

Or

Buy yourself out? Have you talked to someone about buying yourself out? What research have you done?

How exactly am I being silly? I'm happy in my regiment and my superior told me buying my way out isn't an option. I know the army will provide quarters but my girlfriends in university and won't move to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Slow down and talk to someone and explain everything that's going on vegore you make a hasty decision that could come back to bite you.

How exactly am I being silly? I'm happy in my regiment and my superior told me buying my way out isn't an option. I know the army will provide quarters but my girlfriends in university and won't move to England.

You're being silly by flapping about and talking about going AWOL which you've already been told is not a good idea if you want to go to Canada. Going AWOL counts as a conviction AFAIK.

You'll be a father soon. Start by taking a deep breath, thinking clearly, and researching any options as much as possible before you make any more rash decisions.

Where is your GF in uni?

Have you tried talking to your padre? Perhaps he might be able to offer advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I never intend on returning to Britain so I'm not worried about being arrested down the line, although 6 months in Colchester sounds better serving the other three years.

It will depend on the UK law but, for some European countries, unauthorised absence can be followed up via a European arrest warrant meaning you wouldn't be safe in Ireland if they chose to pursue it.

Slow down and talk to someone and explain everything that's going on vegore you make a hasty decision that could come back to bite you.

I found out yesterday and talked to my C.O first thing this morning. He told me in no uncertain terms that there's nothing I can do and the most he can do for me is get me discharged after I've served 3 years and 6 months which isn't any help or get me family quarters which also isn't any help because my girlfriend won't move to England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

How recently did you finish basic training.

I found out yesterday and talked to my C.O first thing this morning. He told me in no uncertain terms that there's nothing I can do and the most he can do for me is get me discharged after I've served 3 years and 6 months which isn't any help or get me family quarters which also isn't any help because my girlfriend won't move to England.

Your CO probably isn't the best person to offer pastoral advice. Have you talked to your Welfare officer?

Your CO probably isn't the best person to offer pastoral advice. Have you talked to your Welfare officer?

So far I've only talked to my C.O and a friend who's an officer. My C.O's a decent guy and understood the situation but couldn't find me a solution. In response to your earlier question my girlfriends in uni in Dublin, and in response to A Dozen Wicked Words, sorry but I don't feel comfortable saying that online as it'll reveal which regiment I'm in.

Doesn't the British Army have some kind of reciprocal arrangement with the Irish Army? Or have I got that wrong??

Doesn't the British Army have some kind of reciprocal arrangement with the Irish Army? Or have I got that wrong??

No unfortunately

Its like with soccer if your grannie is irish you play for ireland and once youve declared thats it. Besides, this guy has no reason to come to ireland - its canada he wants to go to. Maybe the canadian army will take him?

You only found out your GF was pregnant yesterday - right? You already know it's a boy?? :confused:

You only found out your GF was pregnant yesterday - right? You already know it's a boy?? :confused:

Meant to say kid but you know what I mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

As others have said there is the options to buy out your term, training service personal isn't cheap so if you are not going to serve at least buy yourself out.

One question though how are you going to be able to afford uni and pay for your baby? Seeing if the army will sponsor you seems the most responsible way forward in your life journey.

• Advertisement

piperh wrote: »
    As others have said there is the options to buy out your term, training service personal isn't cheap so if you are going to serve at least buy yourself out.

One question though how are you going to be able to afford uni and pay for your baby? Seeing if the army will sponsor you seems the most responsible way forward in your life journey.

As I said I enlisted in the first place as my family wasn't well off financially but in the past couple of months this has changed, I also have savings from training. I can't start Uni until next year which gives me time to get a job in Ireland and work my ass off + my girlfriends family are VERY well off. The army would only sponsor me for a UK college as far as I know and staying in the UK's not an option

Advertisement