Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWOL British Army

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Ask about getting transferred to Northern Ireland and then start Uni there, it may not be the same as being in Dublin with your GF but its alot closer. She might even be able to transfer her degree to NI aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ryan095

Furasta wrote: »
    Ask about getting transferred to Northern Ireland and then start Uni there, it may not be the same as being in Dublin with your GF but its alot closer. She might even be able to transfer her degree to NI aswell.

Its worth looking into, thanks mate. Finally a helpful solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

ryan095 wrote: »
    Its worth looking into, thanks mate. Finally a helpful solution!

Ya, np. Just you are probably in a better situation than you think in regards to having an income that you can provide for a new family. Also the downsides to going AWOL are just to high, you would most likely refused entry to the United States aswell as other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

As I said I enlisted in the first place as my family wasn't well off financially but in the past couple of months this has changed, I also have savings from training. I can't start Uni until next year which gives me time to get a job in Ireland and work my ass off + my girlfriends family are VERY well off. The army would only sponsor me for a UK college as far as I know and staying in the UK's not an option

Personally I think you are deluding yourself if you think at 19 you are going to be able to move to Ireland get a job and save enough to support yourself and your baby but as that's not what you asked I'll stick to answering your question.

Not only is the awol likely to show up when you apply for a Canadian visa but it will also show if you need a crb check in either uk or Ireland. I know for my crb checks my uk addresses and uk family details are required for checking.

How about transferring to a ni unit and getting sponsored at uni there? Going awol is always risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

At risk of playing devils advocate; have you considered what your g/f wants ryan? Has she said that she is determined to go through with the pregnancy? Does she want to transfer home right away to be with family support? In which case where does that leave "you" (as in plural)? Where does this leave "you" (plural) anyway? Has the pregancy revelation given her a reality-perspective-shift, etc.?

You need to slow down because as others have said, you're flapping big time and considering making a drastic decision with serious, serious consequences. Being charged for going AWOL is effectively a criminal record, and far from doing any notions of right to you, your g/f and any kids that come along, you're shooting yourself and them in the foot in terms of life options.

On top of that, are you guaruanteed a uni place if you go back to Ireland? Are you guaruanteed a job that'll give you enough savings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

You can't get into UCD this year can you? Or did you do a CAO application this year just in case?

Lemming wrote: »
    At risk of playing devils advocate; have you considered what your g/f wants ryan? Has she said that she is determined to go through with the pregnancy? Does she want to transfer home right away to be with family support? In which case where does that leave "you" (as in plural)? Where does this leave "you" (plural) anyway? Has the pregancy revelation given her a reality-perspective-shift, etc.?

You need to slow down because as others have said, you're flapping big time and considering making a drastic decision with serious, serious consequences. Being charged for going AWOL is effectively a criminal record, and far from doing any notions of right to you, your g/f and any kids that come along, you're shooting yourself and them in the foot in terms of life options.

On top of that, are you guaruanteed a uni place if you go back to Ireland? Are you guaruanteed a job that'll give you enough savings?

She's going through with it and staying in Ireland until she's finished Uni and told me she's not going to go back to Canada without me. We're considering her staying at my parents house until we're sorted.

I got 460 points in my leaving cert so yes I should get a place in Uni.

You can't get into UCD this year can you? Or did you do a CAO application this year just in case?

No I can't go to UCD this year unfortunately

No I can't go to UCD this year unfortunately

No need for any hasty decision then. And the army has plenty of paid leave, and the vast majority of soldiers don't get killed, so why risk a criminal record. You wouldn't be able to even risk traveling through a UK airport or ferry port.

some useful info on this link:

http://ask.metafilter.com/229881/How-long-is-the-sentence-for-AWOL-soldiers

"For what it's worth I was the adviser to the accused in a couple of desertion/awol cases. Both lads had been absent for several months and both of them essentially pled guilty. Here are some things I recall:

This was in peacetime - different and much more severe rules apply for soldiers who abscond to avoid active duty. Did the boyfriend do this to skip a tour? If so this could be serious. (Note: going AWOL while on active service can get you in mortal danger but that doesn't seem to be the case).

I got both my guys a lawyer. Not everyone does this but simply having a civilian lawyer to explain and ask questions of the judge was invaluable. They don't need experience of courts martial they just need to want to understand the process, both of my guys were very interested getting some experience on the military side.

The army doesn't jail you unless they like you:
    MCTC (Military Corrective and Training Centre) in Colchester is reserved for the people they want to hang on to. MCTC is hard time, a punishing constant regime of soldiering, lectures and PT. It is effectively a finishing school for soldiers and it turns out the some of the very best and sends them back to battalion. Lots of RSM's SMIGS etc. have some Colly time.

However I doubt you're headed for MCTC: If they don't want you then or you don't want them then they may charge you under civilian law and wash there hands of you through administrative discharge BUT, since going AWOL is not a civilian offence they can't do that. (No civi gaol would lock you up for AWOL) So their options are limited.

(You know, I confess, I'm confused about the *suspended* sentence for going AWOL, never heard of that)..

Courts Martial had a bad reputation in the past (back in my day yo). There were several high profile cases of insecure convictions etc. Things have changed, it's still rough justice but they now have properly trained permanent staff. They are much more consistent.

So in summary - in an all volunteer army the grown-ups really do not want unhappy/disruptive solders moaning about leaving encouraging others etc. etc. They just want you out before your **** spreads. They won't take you back, they can't stick you in civi gaol or MCTC so their options are few, they don't have much leverage on you.

So what happened to the guys of mine who pled guilty? Discharges for both of them, took 40 minutes. They went back to barracks to pick up their **** and say goodbye. Both were in a transit camp the next week.

Finally, I doubt that Canada considers a summary conviction for AWOL grounds to deny entry. And I seriously doubt that they have hooks into a UK courts martial DB."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Let's hope war with Russia doesn't break out anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Tell them your uncle is Gerry Adams.

No need for any hasty decision then. And the army has plenty of paid leave, and the vast majority of soldiers don't get killed, so why risk a criminal record. You wouldn't be able to even risk traveling through a UK airport or ferry port.

some useful info on this link:

"For what it's worth I was the adviser to the accused in a couple of desertion/awol cases. Both lads had been absent for several months and both of them essentially pled guilty. Here are some things I recall:

This was in peacetime - different and much more severe rules apply for soldiers who abscond to avoid active duty. Did the boyfriend do this to skip a tour? If so this could be serious. (Note: going AWOL while on active service can get you in mortal danger but that doesn't seem to be the case).

I got both my guys a lawyer. Not everyone does this but simply having a civilian lawyer to explain and ask questions of the judge was invaluable. They don't need experience of courts martial they just need to want to understand the process, both of my guys were very interested getting some experience on the military side.

The army doesn't jail you unless they like you:
    MCTC (Military Corrective and Training Centre) in Colchester is reserved for the people they want to hang on to. MCTC is hard time, a punishing constant regime of soldiering, lectures and PT. It is effectively a finishing school for soldiers and it turns out the some of the very best and sends them back to battalion. Lots of RSM's SMIGS etc. have some Colly time.

However I doubt you're headed for MCTC: If they don't want you then or you don't want them then they may charge you under civilian law and wash there hands of you through administrative discharge BUT, since going AWOL is not a civilian offence they can't do that. (No civi gaol would lock you up for AWOL) So their options are limited.

(You know, I confess, I'm confused about the *suspended* sentence for going AWOL, never heard of that)..

Courts Martial had a bad reputation in the past (back in my day yo). There were several high profile cases of insecure convictions etc. Things have changed, it's still rough justice but they now have properly trained permanent staff. They are much more consistent.

So in summary - in an all volunteer army the grown-ups really do not want unhappy/disruptive solders moaning about leaving encouraging others etc. etc. They just want you out before your **** spreads. They won't take you back, they can't stick you in civi gaol or MCTC so their options are few, they don't have much leverage on you.

So what happened to the guys of mine who pled guilty? Discharges for both of them, took 40 minutes. They went back to barracks to pick up their **** and say goodbye. Both were in a transit camp the next week.

Finally, I doubt that Canada considers a summary conviction for AWOL grounds to deny entry. And I seriously doubt that they have hooks into a UK courts martial DB."

This helps alot. Thank you so much!!!

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Let's hope war with Russia doesn't break out anytime soon.

Lets hope haha.

This helps alot. Thank you so much!!!

A lot of it could be wrong, but contacting an immigration lawyer does seem like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Were you in the British Army?

Yep, 15 years...Best years of my life, if your girlfriend is pregnant the army has a support mechanism in place. Speak to your platoon commander or the welfare officer who can give real and decent advice, your scenario happens a lot in the military. Same happened to me at 20 where I got a German girl pregnant, we ended up in a married quarter, eventually got married and I got on with a good career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I have a cunning plan...

blackadder_crisis.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone.

krissovo wrote: »
    Yep, 15 years...Best years of my life, if your girlfriend is pregnant the army has a support mechanism in place. Speak to your platoon commander or the welfare officer who can give real and decent advice, your scenario happens a lot in the military. Same happened to me at 20 where I got a German girl pregnant, we ended up in a married quarter, eventually got married and I got on with a good career.

Are you Irish mate? Thanks for the advice

Are you Irish mate? Thanks for the advice

I am from Kerry, joined as a sapper with a couple of Cork lads and despite an interesting start to my career I was eventually commissioned and ended up a Captain.

I am from Kerry, joined as a sapper with a couple of Cork lads and despite an interesting start to my career I was eventually commissioned and ended up a Captain.

Out of curiosity what made you join the British instead of the Irish?

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity what made you join the British instead of the Irish sir?

I joined at 15, the British Army had a junior soldier program at the time but at the end of the day the BA had tanks, helicopters, better weapons, travel the world options and much better career path. I did military collage and was qualified in mechanical engineering after leaving school with NOTHING. Would never of had the same opportunities in the Irish Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I joined at 15, the British Army had a junior soldier program at the time but at the end of the day the BA had tanks, helicopters, better weapons, travel the world options and much better career path. I did military collage and was qualified in mechanical engineering after leaving school with NOTHING. Would never of had the same opportunities in the Irish Army.

My uncle joined the BA. He was with the Signals and qualified as a telecoms engineer courtesy of the Army. The Armed Forces offer great opportunities to develop a lasting career which will last you into Civvy St.

This is what I told the OP in the first place...

Yea your right too. I joined because the Irish Army weren't recruiting at the time. I still think its crazy that it was easier for me to get into a foreign army than my own haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The option to buy yourself out of an army contract was afaik abolished in 2012. I would advise you to look at transferring to northern ireland as an option due to the shorter commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement