Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secoundry school

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

hello all. i will soon be signing my eldest up to a secoundry school.

im thinking of the pres.
    although st.leo's has popped into my mind.
    she doesnt want to go to gealschoile. she wants to go to the pres as her pals are going there too. whats the thoughts of these schools.

also whats the cost now of sending kids to secoundry, ie books etc. ballpark figures of some local schools would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I wouldn't be swayed by where her friends are going, she may not be in the same classes/doing the same subjects or even move on from those friends .

I would suggest you make sure to visit each school's open night and see what you think or make an appt to visit the school if you want to get moving on this sooner.

As to costs, I found this on the Leo's site : "Junior cycle students participating in the Book Rental scheme have no requirement to purchase books listed as all books will be provided. "

According to the Presentation site "This year, most First Year students have replaced their heavy books with lighter, easy-to-use iPads and eBooks"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

To get a child into the Pres is hard. Their name would want to be down 18 months in advance.

They have criteria for entering - the more criteria your child fulfils the higher their chances for getting in. They are four of them: the child of a staff member, the child of a previous student of the school, the eldest child of a family, and think the final is when the child's name was put down on the waiting list.
    The Pres uses ipads now - although it is choice whether your child uses them or uses hardback books. The ipad is the bones of 400 euro, and my son's books this year cost 280 on top of that. It is obligatory the ipads have a protective case and then insurance also.

St Leo's I know nothing about. It is a huge school so therefore loads of opportunity and choices in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Thanks for all replies so far.very informative. Queen mise you say its e280 on top of price for iPad.is that for hardback books or downloaded books for iPad. If I didn't want iPad what's the cost of books. My daughter will meet 3 of the criteria u mentioned. How do u or you're son find the teachers in the pres. Pm if you want. Sorry for all questions

hadepsx wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies so far.very informative. Queen mise you say its e280 on top of price for iPad.is that for hardback books or downloaded books for iPad. If I didn't want iPad what's the cost of books. My daughter will meet 3 of the criteria u mentioned. How do u or you're son find the teachers in the pres. Pm if you want. Sorry for all questions

downloaded books for the ipad. I think buying the books hardback is a lot more expensive unless you can pick them up second hand - that is the idea. The cost of the ipad is offset by books being cheaper because they are ebooks.

No idea of teachers - he only starts tomorrow :D I'll can tell you in a week or two.

Principal is amazing and takes absolutely no crap. I'll see as time goes on if that is a good or bad thing...

Thanks for info.my daughter is going into 5th class this year so just getting prepared in my head whats involved for secoundry. Does it have to be a iPad.would a Samsung tab or other device not be just as good.or are they being sneaky with compatibility of ebooks

• Advertisement

Also do they have a book rental scheme that u know of

Thanks for info.my daughter is going into 5th class this year so just getting prepared in my head whats involved for secoundry. Does it have to be a iPad.would a Samsung tab or other device not be just as good.or are they being sneaky with compatibility of ebooks

It has to be an ipad. Seemingly the school did tests on other tablets and the ipad was the only one that was guaranteed to keep the battery for the 9 hours of the school day.

The other option - maybe a MS tablet was nearly 300 euro more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    It has to be an ipad. Seemingly the school did tests on other tablets and the ipad was the only one that was guaranteed to keep the battery for the 9 hours of the school day.

The other option - maybe a MS tablet was nearly 300 euro more.

I go to the CBS and I myself am using a Nexus 7, Android tablet.

In our school you can use which ever you want!

I go to the CBS and I myself am using a Nexus 7, Android tablet.

In our school you can use which ever you want!

And do have any probs getting the right ebooks for it.and how do u find the battery life with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

And do have any probs getting the right ebooks for it.and how do u find the battery life with it
    Getting eBooks was a bit of a pain alright.

Basically I had to go onto the schools website, get the book list, go to each publishers website, if they have the eBook great I buy it, if not then i have to get the regular book.

2 subjects don't have eBooks but every other does, cost around €75 vs about €250!

As for battery life I don't really know as I'm not back until Tuesday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement