Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice Electrician

Options
  • 19-08-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an interview coming up soon for this position. There will be a lot of other applicants. Is there anything I can do in advance to give myself an advantage. I know a colour blindness test is needed. Would it be looked upon favourably if I already had this. I know they will probably have to do their own but it shows I'm making an effort. Is there anything else I could do to try and set myself apart from the others? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is it with a contractor?

Regardless I doubt if the employer will have expected you to have had a colour blindness test, they will have to have independent proof and it will be part of your medical anyway. Of course if you did turn out to be colour blind you would need to consider another career.

Things that will concern any employer. (or should)

How were your school results? Good attendance? Time keeping?
    Did you do well in maths, physics, metal work or similar?

Have you done any projects that would be relevant either at school or elsewhere? Are you good with your hands? DIY at home?

Try and get someone to go through some interview techniques with you.

Research what you can about the company, don't ask about holidays etc., and as an apprentice your pay is probably already decided (used be 25% of the full rate).

Avoid Yes/no answers.
    If it's a big company who are used to interviewing try using S.T.A.R. to answer questions. Describe a Situation, the Task that needed to be done, the Action you took, and the Result.

They aren't going to expect you to have electrical experience as such, but you could find a way to work positive examples of other experiences

Lots of typical questions on line.

http://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/top-50-interview-questions

http://www.irishjobs.ie/careeradvice/the-top-30-interview-questions/

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

Some of course aren't relevant.

Make sure your answers are yours, not just a verbal copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The position is with a major company. I think ill be quite a bit older than other applicants at 27. I have references from previous and current employers( only 3 in 8 years, 2 concurrent jobs and my current employment ) to show work ethic etc. Only reason i left precious jobs was to travel. I'm currently working in the peripherals of the company I'm applying for but not in a related field. I work along side their staff.
    As for holifays, pay etc. I know not to ask such questions. I know my circumstances will change for the worse, paywise, if i do get the position and i am prepared for this. I kind of have a plan and where id like to be in a few years and I know they like to hear this.
    I will look at those links you posted and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Slunk wrote: »
    Hi, I have an interview coming up soon for this position. There will be a lot of other applicants. Is there anything I can do in advance to give myself an advantage. I know a colour blindness test is needed. Would it be looked upon favourably if I already had this. I know they will probably have to do their own but it shows I'm making an effort. Is there anything else I could do to try and set myself apart from the others? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Well from my point of view with the amount of apprentices struggling in phase 4, if asked why you want to become an electrician don't say because you hated school, don't want to go to college and only want to work with your hands.

By all means say you like to work with your hands but throw in that you enjoyed technical subjects in school too and that you heard that there are technical subjects involved with the apprenticeship.

Some employers wont mind but some will.

Having the eye test is an advantage, it will mean you are ready to go and know how to prepare.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

As a 17 year old, long time ago, I went for a electric app.
    5th question. Can I wire a plug. Here do it.
    I'm now a plumber & service eng.TG
    It's a better trade.
    (sorry Arthur )

Get as much knowledge as you can. Ask the company's workers what to expect and what to know at the interview.

Your age to me is an advantage, shows your determination.
    Best of luck.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

scudo2 wrote: »
    It's a better trade.
    (sorry Arthur )

scudo,

I know you are only possibly pulling a leg here, but we don't want all this best trade thing here to start up please. Obviously we all have an opinion but there is no need to open up that can of worms again, we don't all respond the same way to "our" trade being rated below another, and this type of remark generally generates a lot of PMs in the background, reported posts etc.

Thanks for understanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good luck, your plus things for the interview should be that you have worked for a good few years and presumably have had to have dealt with people either customers or co workers and that you have the edges knocked off you, lots of employers would look at this favorably and that you are willing to take a cut in money (presumably) to get further in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks to all for the replies. The interview is not for another few weeks yet. Glad to see my age will not go against me anyway :)

Advertisement