Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Newbridge or drogheda..

Options
  • 19-08-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. I'm moving out of Dublin to commute as cannot justify paying crazy prices for tiny, old flats in D6.
    I am single, female with a cat, working full time in Dublin, studying by night so need to be back at a place by six ish for online lectures.
    Drogheda and Newbridge are the two options I've chosen in terms of good value for rents and travel distance to Dublin.
    My question is that because I really don't know either of these towns, which might be best suited to someone that is used to city life, appreciates art, would need a good internet connection, likes a good flea market and so on.
    I don't want to move to a boring town full of things parents can do with their kids... Thank you for any input. I hope to visit Drogheda this weekend to get a feel of it and Newbridge perhaps the following weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I live in Newbridge and my best friend lives in drogheda. He travels to work in Dublin by train. His experience is that he very rarely gets a seat. Maybe it's the times he travels at.

I can't comment on the Newbridge train as I drive to Dublin. I do know that rental accommodation in Newbridge is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Marieandhercat

foodaholic wrote: »
    I live in Newbridge and my best friend lives in drogheda. He travels to work in Dublin by train. His experience is that he very rarely gets a seat. Maybe it's the times he travels at.

I can't comment on the Newbridge train as I drive to Dublin. I do know that rental accommodation in Newbridge is expensive.
    It's not expensive in comparison to Dublin.
    Yes I imagine either train from Newbridge or Drogheda will be jammed .. But then the Newbridge train journey would be shorter and then I would need to get the red Luas so that might be something to consider .
    Thanks Foodaholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi. I'm moving out of Dublin to commute as cannot justify paying crazy prices for tiny, old flats in D6.
    I am single, female with a cat, working full time in Dublin, studying by night so need to be back at a place by six ish for online lectures.
    Drogheda and Newbridge are the two options I've chosen in terms of good value for rents and travel distance to Dublin.
    My question is that because I really don't know either of these towns, which might be best suited to someone that is used to city life, appreciates art, would need a good internet connection, likes a good flea market and so on.
    I don't want to move to a boring town full of things parents can do with their kids... Thank you for any input. I hope to visit Drogheda this weekend to get a feel of it and Newbridge perhaps the following weekend.

I'm in Balbriggan Marie- which is just down the road from Drogheda. When the train rolls in in the morning it's not hard to get a seat as there are plenty free so that won't be an issue with you in Droggheda. Likewise getting home shouldn't be a problem either. There are lots of trains back to Drogheda/Dundalk and if you pick your station wisely (ie Pearse when you can) you should get a seat no problem.

The missus and myself are quite fond of visiting Drogheda as there's a decent shopping centre in Scotch Hall with Dunnes, River Island and loads more. You also have the Drogheda retail park with the likes of ALDI, Costa, Harvey Normans, Homestore and More, Argos, TK Maxx, Halfords and more. Around the corner there's a very significant Tesco Extra. You also have the M1 retail park on the outskirts of the town- so you have shopping almost completely covered.

It's quite a pleasant town with a multitude of cafes, shoe/clothes shops and plenty of other small businesses. I believe there's a very nice cinema complex but I can't speak from experience as I haven't been.
    Property is very good value and the commute to town by train very pleasant. Some beautiful countryside is right on your doorstep and of course you have access to numerous lovely beaches.

I'm sure the folks in the Louth forum will be able to give you much more detailed information to any questions you may have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would limit yourself to places within the" Iarnrod Eireann Dublin area" Bray to Balbriggan as it makes commuting alot cheaper.
    I lived in and own a house in Balbriggan and it is not the worst place to live.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would limit yourself to places within the" Iarnrod Eireann Dublin area" Bray to Balbriggan as it makes commuting alot cheaper.
    I lived in and own a house in Balbriggan and it is not the worst place to live.
    I'm not really that concerned about travel expenses. I just want a place to live for around 800 quid that is not a shoe box. Dublin accommodation you need to pay around 1000 at least for any decent one bed and I cannot justify it. As long as I find a place that is newish and spacious then I am happy. I'm just too mean to pay huge sums of money when you can get the same a bit further out for a lot less :P thanks

• Advertisement

I don't currently have a car, do you think I would need a car to get around in Drogheda for shopping and so on? :) thanks a mill everyone for your help x

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Hi Marie,

I live in Newbridge and commute to Dublin City Centre each day. Train times from Newbridge in the morning to Dublin are quite good. There never seems to be too much delays. In the morning, train times are as follows 06.56, 07.04, 07.29, 07.35, 07.44 (direct), 07.50, 07.57 (direct), 08.09 and 08.30. The 07.35 and 08.09 stop at all stations to Dublin and take approx 40 minutes. The direct trains take no more than 25 minutes.

The evening train times are as follows 16.20, 16.30(direct and actually gets to Newbridge before the 16.20), 17.10(direct), 17.20, 17.30, 17.55. There is also a good few between 18.00 - 19.00. The 17.10 train will get you back in Newbridge Station at about 17.35, more than enough time to log on to your online lectures.

The town of Newbridge has everything you need. It has the Whitewater Shopping Centre with Debenhams, M&S, Zara, H&M, River Island and so on. The town also has a Dunnes Stores, Tesco and Penneys. They are all within a relatively compact area in the town centre. Newbridge also has the Riverbank Arts Centre and County Library and a few decent pubs. Newbridge has nice Cafes but somewhat lacks decent quality restaurants. Kildare Town which is only a few miles away has some fantastic restaurants though. Regarding commuting, I have a taxsaver ticket which costs me €45 a week with the feeder services to the City Centre. Weekly tickets not on taxsaver cost above €60.

Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever choice you make.

richiek83 wrote: »
    Hi Marie,

I live in Newbridge and commute to Dublin City Centre each day. Train times from Newbridge in the morning to Dublin are quite good. There never seems to be too much delays. In the morning, train times are as follows 06.56, 07.04, 07.29, 07.35, 07.44 (direct), 07.50, 07.57 (direct), 08.09 and 08.30. The 07.35 and 08.09 stop at all stations to Dublin and take approx 40 minutes. The direct trains take no more than 25 minutes.

The evening train times are as follows 16.20, 16.30(direct and actually gets to Newbridge before the 16.20), 17.10(direct), 17.20, 17.30, 17.55. There is also a good few between 18.00 - 19.00. The 17.10 train will get you back in Newbridge Station at about 17.35, more than enough time to log on to your online lectures.

The town of Newbridge has everything you need. It has the Whitewater Shopping Centre with Debenhams, M&S, Zara, H&M, River Island and so on. The town also has a Dunnes Stores, Tesco and Penneys. They are all within a relatively compact area in the town centre. Newbridge also has the Riverbank Arts Centre and County Library and a few decent pubs. Newbridge has nice Cafes but somewhat lacks decent quality restaurants. Kildare Town which is only a few miles away has some fantastic restaurants though. Regarding commuting, I have a taxsaver ticket which costs me €45 a week with the feeder services to the City Centre. Weekly tickets not on taxsaver cost above €60.

Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever choice you make.
    Thank you so much. :) Is there no Aldi & Lidl :O I get my frozen fruit and bits in there, living in Ranelagh at the moment so I'm spoiled with a few of them around. :)
    I am vegan anyway so I would probably eat out in Dublin if I was going to at all. I hope there is a health food store there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Thank you so much. :) Is there no Aldi & Lidl :O I get my frozen fruit and bits in there, living in Ranelagh at the moment so I'm spoiled with a few of them around. :)
    I am vegan anyway so I would probably eat out in Dublin if I was going to at all. I hope there is a health food store there though.

There is a Lidl in the town and Aldi will probably be in the town within the next 6-12 months. Regarding a health food store, I'm not too sure about that one. There is a Holland and Barrett in the Whitewater, not sure if that's the same thing. There is another shop on Eyre Street in the town but again not sure if it is just health supplements,

http://the-health-store.health-foods.health.newbridge.tel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If your a vegan then Newbridge is the place for you. Just a short distance away we have the magnificent Curragh plains with over 5000 acres of grass. As long as you don't mind fighting some sheep for it.

Sorry couldn't help myself.:)

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    If your a vegan then Newbridge is the place for you. Just a short distance away we have the magnificent Curragh plains with over 5000 acres of grass. As long as you don't mind fighting some sheep for it.

Sorry couldn't help myself.:)
    Oh fabulous and you can come over for dinner then and maybe see what I really eat ;)

I had banana and chocolate chip bread yesterday from KC Peaches, no lawnmowers required in the making of the recipe :P

richiek83 wrote: »
    There is a Lidl in the town and Aldi will probably be in the town within the next 6-12 months. Regarding a health food store, I'm not too sure about that one. There is a Holland and Barrett in the Whitewater, not sure if that's the same thing. There is another shop on Eyre Street in the town but again not sure if it is just health supplements,
    ah okay, thanks. Maybe I just need to be organised and shop in Dublin at the weekends or on my lunch break :) Or I could open a health food store out there in time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 small investor

Marie am I out of touch completely, 800pm is loads of dosh. There must b sum nice places in Dub for that. What about sharing a house with an owner and saving ur money?

There is a Lidl and on the road to naas there is an Aldi ( that's where I do my shopping) there is also a tesco and a dunnes ( which has a fruit and veg shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Marie am I out of touch completely, 800pm is loads of dosh. There must b sum nice places in Dub for that. What about sharing a house with an owner and saving ur money?

Sadly, 800 is not a lot if you're renting in Dublin these days. Even out in Kildare things are going up, houses going in Clane for 1200+.

OP, you should look at Sallins or Celbridge as well. Smaller but a bit closer in. Also, living outside town for any length of time, you'll probably want to be mobile (i.e. get a car).

I don't like sharing with other people.
    Anywhere in Dublin, you will need to pay from 900 upwards and some of the places for 900 are old, crabby little places. Any of the nicer 1 bed apartments say in the Beacon are €1200+
    In Drogheda only yesterday I saw a cute 2 bed for 650! and similar places in Newbridge.
    It's all very well if you are part of a couple in Dublin so you can split the rent but as a single person, it can be quite expensive to live comfortably.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Sadly, 800 is not a lot if you're renting in Dublin these days. Even out in Kildare things are going up, houses going in Clane for 1200+.

OP, you should look at Sallins or Celbridge as well. Smaller but a bit closer in. Also, living outside town for any length of time, you'll probably want to be mobile (i.e. get a car).

Yes, was thinking that. I can get a car maybe in the new year, once i've paid for my holiday in Hungary where I'm getting crowns... Did I mention that I'm saving more than €1500 by getting them done in Hungary. This country is so expensive for everything. A good salary goes nowhere these days ugh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yes, was thinking that. I can get a car maybe in the new year, once i've paid for my holiday in Hungary where I'm getting crowns... Did I mention that I'm saving more than €1500 by getting them done in Hungary. This country is so expensive for everything. A good salary goes nowhere these days ugh! :)

It's a big change, I'm from kildare but lived in town for 10 years. I hear a lot of people going on about moving to the commuter belt and being miserable at lack of facilities, things to do, etc. It's mainly down to being used to having things on your doorstep -- the assumption is that you're able to drive to places, which immediately opens up most of the county (for things to do and for living in)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    It's a big change, I'm from kildare but lived in town for 10 years. I hear a lot of people going on about moving to the commuter belt and being miserable at lack of facilities, things to do, etc. It's mainly down to being used to having things on your doorstep -- the assumption is that you're able to drive to places, which immediately opens up most of the county (for things to do and for living in)

Yeah I'm a bit concerned, I'm originally a country girl but living in Dublin the last ten years so I know this will be a change for me. But i'm also doing night degree online and will be working in Dublin so at least I won't be totally stuck out in the middle of nowhere all the time.
    I can get a car in January I suppose so not too bad. I do a lot of photography too so I'm not usually the type to moan and complain about nothing to do. :)
    The other option is to wait until January and get a car and actually move to the countryside - Co. Wicklow or somewhere like that. I'm really spontaneous too though so I have my mind set on a move asap.
    Will check out the two places and get a feel for them and take it from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

foodaholic wrote: »
    There is a Lidl and on the road to naas there is an Aldi ( that's where I do my shopping) there is also a tesco and a dunnes ( which has a fruit and veg shop)

Are you talking about the aldi in naas on the newbridge road? Aldi on Kildare town is probably much closer and easier to get to from newbridge.

• Advertisement

From the side of town I'm on the naas one is closer

A guy i know just told me that Drogheda is bigger than Newbridge so I'm thinking that might suit me better but I will go there on saturday and check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A guy i know just told me that Drogheda is bigger than Newbridge so I'm thinking that might suit me better but I will go there on saturday and check it out :)

Being a Kildare man I'd actually be inclined to vote in favour of Drogheda myself. It's somewhat quainter, has superb shopping, is by the sea and is just a short hop on the train into Dublin. I can't overemphasize just how much nicer taking the train is compared to the bus (did that for many years).

Get to both locations though and see how you feel about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Just the bit about the car you mentioned - I live in Sallins and did without a car for about 3 years before I got one (my work has always been via commuting to Dublin on the train). Got to say I know I could never go back to my car-less state now. As someone said there earlier, it opens up so many more towns and shopping areas. I used to be tied to Naas for my shopping and now I go to Newbridge and Kildare at the drop of a hat. Having a car is a major convenience outside of Dublin.
    Travelling to Dublin via train is lovely from Kildare - I have had to stand only once in the last year. I consider the train to be my extra 20 mins nap every morning.

Advertisement