Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help we can't leave dog home alone for 5 minutes.

• 19-08-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi thanks for taking the time to read this.

So two weeks ago we adopted Molly she's a Rottweiler and GSD cross.

A real placid dog. Brilliant on the lead, toilet trained, brilliant around other dogs and with kids and once were in the house she is perfectly fine but if we even leave for 5 minutes she goes on a destruction rampage.

A friend of mine thinks she was abused before we got her easily startled you even raise your voice she runs, even the other day when out walking someone ran past us and she cowered down in fear.

For example today we had the back door open all day letting her wander in and out with washing on the line like most days and she was fine we left to go to Tescos for 20 minutes 30 minutes max and when we came home she had broken the washing line trampled all clothes into the grass and dug a hole out the back garden.

Another example is last week we went out for an hour and left her inside because the weather was bad and when we had arrived home she had upended her bed and pulled clothes down off the table.

Should also mention she sleeps inside at night and is always fine when left alone its only when we leave the house.

Anyone any advice or tips on how to stop her doing it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh dear OP, what a pain!
    Dogs cowering etc is not necessarily a sign they've been beaten. It can be, of course, but there are a lot of dogs out there who've never had a finger laid on them who do things like cower down when something novel or unexpected happens, it's an innate self-defence response.
    As for the destructive behaviour, it's really important to try to figure out why she feels the need to do this. Whilst you might be told she has separation anxiety, because separation anxious dogs often cause shocking destruction when left alone, there is every chance it's the lesser known "separation fun" too! The motivation behind each is quite different, and so the treatments are different.
    For this reason, I think it's important that you get someone in to give you a properly worked-out diagnosis and subsequent treatment program. This should be a really good behaviourist (not a trainer). I know it's an expense, but separation-related problems tends to be rather complex and require very systematic, well-planned treatment which may include veterinary support too.
    If you need help finding a good behaviourist, let us know where you live and we'll try to help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

DBB wrote: »
    Oh dear OP, what a pain!
    Dogs cowering etc is not necessarily a sign they've been beaten. It can be, of course, but there are a lot of dogs out there who've never had a finger laid on them who do things like cower down when something novel or unexpected happens, it's an innate self-defence response.
    As for the destructive behaviour, it's really important to try to figure out why she feels the need to do this. Whilst you might be told she has separation anxiety, because separation anxious dogs often cause shocking destruction when left alone, there is every chance it's the lesser known "separation fun" too! The motivation behind each is quite different, and so the treatments are different.
    For this reason, I think it's important that you get someone in to give you a properly worked-out diagnosis and subsequent treatment program. This should be a really good behaviourist (not a trainer). I know it's an expense, but separation-related problems tends to be rather complex and require very systematic, well-planned treatment which may include veterinary support too.
    If you need help finding a good behaviourist, let us know where you live and we'll try to help :)

Thanks DBB for the reply :).

Really hope she wasn't abused not a nice thought really.

But yea if you could recommend a behavourist it would be brilliant it's gotten to the point now were we are afraid to leave the house because anytime we do were guaranteed to come home and find something done.

I'm living in Naas Co Kildare?

You're in the area covered by one of the best :)
    Emmaline of www.citizencanineireland.com will be able to help and advise you on this. There are a few happy customers of hers here on this forum. A visit from her would be well worth it!
    Best of luck with it all!

Thanks very much just rang her there and had a good chat about everything.

Have her booked to come visit us on Monday :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Let us know how you get on with the behaviouris? How old is Molly by the way?

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with the behaviouris? How old is Molly by the way?

I will do indeed looking forward to hearing what she has to say.

Molly they think is 2/3 years old.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this newborn baby along with Molly doesn't leave us with much spare time :)

Anyways Molly was diagnosed with separation anxiety but not an extreme case.

Emmaline was brilliant and we'll worth the Money came and sat with us for over two hours all of which I found brilliant.

She recommended we buy Molly an Adaptil collar which arrived today, to help try and ease her nerves.

Also to train her more at which she has been doing great so far, have her sitting, giving the paw, leaving food alone until told to have it although still can't get the fecker to lie :)

Also bought her a Kong and now feed her from that or just handfuls food thrown around the garden no more feeding from bowls it's to easy and doesn't challenge her.

Molly has slowly been coming around and really settling into her new home and it's great to see. Is now much more playful, is great around the baby even had our first bark the other day.

I'm probably forgetting loads but it is 4a.m

But couldn't recommend her enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yaay well done to you and Molly. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi

I was wondering what would be the best dog behaviourologist in the dublin area? My friend is looking for one who visits your house.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Check out last week's episode on 4OD - covered this very topic;

http://dogs.channel4.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 FandangoRanger

A pheromone collar worked for a friend's dog and I see you've already been recommended one (Adaptil) by the behaviourist.

sotisme wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering what would be the best dog behaviourologist in the dublin area? My friend is looking for one who visits your house.

Thank you

Emmaline, mentioned above, covers Dublin, and does one-to-one home visits.
    www.citizencanineireland.com

Advertisement