Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Post Rates

Options
  • 19-08-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am new here so I greet everyone on this forum.
    Myself and other person looking to open online store just not sure about postage rates.
    We have different understanding of calculating this postage so I would be apreciate your opinion on how would you calculate example postage.
    I enclosed link below to commercial international rates.

Let say you will post
    1 x 88grams parcel to Australia
    1 x129grams parcel to Australia
    1 x 1,54kg parcel to UK
    1 x 86grams parcel to UK
    What would be the total cost for all parcels
    drive.google.com/file/d/0BzoFeS6JC7rJVDJ1ODJYUlU4OTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Much appreciate your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

• Registered Users Posts: 22 123qwerty

Thanks pedronomix, I have rates enclosed to post above.
    These are commercial rates and I'd like you knowyour idea on how to calculate.
    1st kg is crucial in this case :)

first you need to know whether each item is classified as a letter a packet or a parcel. the sizing guide refers.
    Without both the weight and actual shipment dimensions it is not possible to determine.

its already classified, its a parcel as it states at the sheet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

123qwerty wrote: »
    its already classified, its a parcel as it states at the sheet

First example:
    1 x 88g Parcel to Australia
    according to the sheet you have its €19.90 for the first 1kg. So it's €19.90.

I'm not sure how/why something so light needs to be classified as a parcel though. I guess it's vaguely plausible that you're posting a couple of feathers and a helium balloons?

• Advertisement

Thanks Graha, its parcel because it wont fit into standard letterbox so accordingly to Post its a parcel.
    These are boxes with small gifts.

So ok 19,90 for parcel 88g but if I post 88grams parcel to Australia and 129grams parcel to Australia on the same day should I be charged 19,90 per parcel or 19,90 for both cause the total weight do not excess 1kg?

Thanks Graha, its parcel because it wont fit into standard letterbox so accordingly to Post its a parcel.
    These are boxes with small gifts.

So ok 19,90 for parcel 88g but if I post 88grams parcel to Australia and 129grams parcel to Australia on the same day should I be charged 19,90 per parcel or 19,90 for both cause the total weight do not excess 1kg?

I would imagine that's per parcel, so €19.90 + €19.90 = €39.80

To be sure you will have to phone An Post and check.

Thanks for your opinion but... it says per kg for selected destination so I would assume 88+129=217grams is less than 1 kg so it should be only €19,90 for both parcels.
    I just try to source cheapest option possible for my parcels and if you are right I should stick with everyday standard visits to Post and pay €3,8 for each parcel.

Thanks for your opinion but... it says per kg for selected destination so I would assume 88+129=217grams is less than 1 kg so it should be only €19,90 for both parcels.
    I just try to source cheapest option possible for my parcels and if you are right I should stick with everyday standard visits to Post and pay €3,8 for each parcel.

You'll get a definitive answer by phoning An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

There are 4 size categories of post: Letter, Large Envelope, Packet and Parcel. The commercial rates you posted are for Parcels. Would your boxes fit under the packet category?

Also, I would imagine the 1KG is per parcel so 2x 88g parcel would be 2x 19.90

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies guys.
    I got some info from Post but it was not obvious to me how they charge, I assume you are right.

@Vuzuggu I was hoping they could be sent as packets but girls at the Post classify them as parcels which I can't argue with

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's not €19.90 for both parcels, it's €19.90 each. No twofers with An Post. Like any other post office or courier in the world they charge for each individual parcel sent.

One option is to find someone in Australia who will receive an individual parcel with the two or more parcels inside, and then send the individual parcels to the appropriate addresses at local rates.

The link provided above clearly states that the rates in each case are for UP TO a certain weight.The dimensions for letters, packets and parcels are also clearly stated in that link.

If this is how you see and handle a shipping issue I suggest you give up now on any attempt to run a business involving mail. How anyone who could infer that price and with that logic has no hope. I'd hate to see the proposals and sums being used for shipping a box of Tayto out there, given the size/weight ratio. Could you not go down to the local PO (preferably on a Thursday when they are really busy) and ask them?

Hey hater, for anger management use different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

hard to imagine what weighs 88grams and requires a very large box to ship it? Maybe don't inflate the balloons before you ship them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Pedroeibar1 gets a forum ban for a week for being uncivil.

This kind of personal attack on another user of the forum is not acceptable and is against the charter of the forum that you sign up to when you post here. If you don't want to abide by the charter then post somewhere else.

Dbran

He won't be able to post! How ironic!

Advertisement