Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I allowed to park...

• 19-08-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got a bit of grief from someone today for parking outside his office. It's a public path in Dublin city and I locked my bike to the railings. I've been parking there for months with no problem. I guess the railings are his but not the path. Anyway, anyone know if he is right in saying I'm not allowed to park there?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Would you park your car on a footpath and expect that it was legal and safe to do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I am sure you will need his permission to lock it to his railings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd still park on the path, but not lock to his railings. There's usually a roadsign or something you can lock to nearby. Obviously park so you're not blocking any of the path or a car parking space.
    stevieob wrote: »
    Would you park your car on a footpath and expect that it was legal and safe to do so?

Well, it's a bike, not a car, so slight difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd still park on the path, but not lock to his railings. There's usually a roadsign or something you can lock to nearby. Obviously park so you're not blocking any of the path or a car parking space.

Well, it's a bike, not a car, so slight difference.

I always make sure it's not blocking the path. Guess I'll just stay away from his railings. Cheers

• Advertisement

Usually the kerb side of the path has stuff like lamp posts, road signs, parking meters, post box, phone box, bollards, bins etc. So if you're parking in line between all that crap, you're not blocking anything. I usually find a sign or some sort to lock to.
    You could tell yer man to go and fúck off, life is too short imho. You could come out to find your bike on it's side one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not a question i ever ask with a bike. Once there's space for pedestrians to pass, including wheelchairs and buggies, ill park as close as physically possible to where im going.

I had a rule in college where if i couldn't see my bike out the window of the lecture room Id parked too far away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

+1...its illegal for a start, you're lucky he doesnt bring it to the attention of a warden or garda...
    Having said that if a path is wide enough.i.e more than 8-10 feet i would park on a path if it didnt cause inconvienience....

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

I would usually park in line with the poll i was chaining my bike to trying to leave as much space as possible and not disrupt the flow of traffic.. but people can always complain about it being an obstruction and if they get really picky they will come out with the "what if a blind person wants to cross the road where your bike is" (that one made me chuckle in my lid)

could just be the chain to the railings he doesn't like, it can be a pain finding somewhere you feel safe to leave the bike, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its illegal to park on a footpath or anywhere which isn't a designated parking spot but in the majority of cases police and parking inspectors will turn a blind eye to bikes which are not in anyones way.

However if you piss off the guy he will just call them and you will end up with a ticket or clamp.

• Advertisement

Its illegal to park on a footpath or anywhere which isn't a designated parking spot but in the majority of cases police and parking inspectors will turn a blind eye to bikes which are not in anyones way.

However if you piss off the guy he will just call them and you will end up with a ticket or clamp.
    It is illegal, but I think Princes Street and Ormond Quay are the only public parking space in Dublin City! Unless the bike was blocking the path, the traffic wardens won't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Just make sure your tax disc is on display and up to date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure who doesnt pay their bike tax?
    Best 80 quid i spend every year.
    The amount of penalty points and 80 quid fines that little disc has saved me from is incredible! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A motorcycle can park on a public footpath provided it creates no obstruction. I don't think it's illegal. There are no end of signs on railing in town threatening removal of bicycle chained to basement railing, so that's probably best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A motorcycle can park on a public footpath provided it creates no obstruction. I don't think it's illegal. There are no end of signs on railing in town threatening removal of bicycle chained to basement railing, so that's probably best avoided.

It's completely illegal to park a bike on the footpath. But since its also illegal to park a bike in a pay and display bay in Dublin the usual Irish solution is reached whereby bikes are allowed park illegally once they aren't blocking access.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's completely illegal to park a bike on the footpath. But since its also illegal to park a bike in a pay and display bay in Dublin the usual Irish solution is reached whereby bikes are allowed park illegally once they aren't blocking access.
    As half arsed as it is, it's actually the handiest thing for us.
    Worst case scenario is we have to pay, or we're given designated parking spaces dotted around the city. Fúck that, parking for free on the nearest convienient footpath is the best option for me!
    Would be nice if it was officially legal though, but not one worth pushing imho, it's grand the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

It's completely illegal to park a bike on the footpath. But since its also illegal to park a bike in a pay and display bay in Dublin.

Lol. Seriously? Thats ridiculous, I would imagine parking is provided for private vehicles (not cars per say). I broke the law multiple times so. I even paid the charge and all. I'm a fecking criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

szatan84 wrote: »
    Lol. Seriously? Thats ridiculous, I would imagine parking is provided for private vehicles (not cars per say).

Read the bye laws for the relevant local authority area.

A couple of years ago, Drogheda Borough Council voted through new bye laws which explicitly included motorcycles. Of course they didn't tell anyone and instructed the wardens to ticket the bikes. MAG got involved and pointed out that the bye laws also said the paper ticket had to be affixed to the inside of the windscreen, or words to that effect. Long story short, bikes got left alone.

Galway City is in the process of removing motorcycle parking at the moment and very quick to issue tickets too. Just so ye know like.

On a side note..liffey valley bike spaces...anyone ever seen it without a car parked in it....:rolleyes:

On a side note..liffey valley bike spaces...anyone ever seen it without a car parked in it....:rolleyes:
    No. But I wouln't even park there on a bike, you can park right up at the door:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

szatan84 wrote: »
    Lol. Seriously? Thats ridiculous, I would imagine parking is provided for private vehicles (not cars per say). I broke the law multiple times so. I even paid the charge and all. I'm a fecking criminal.

Google Dublin city parking bye laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

Google Dublin city parking bye laws.

Interesting
    13. Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in pay and display ticket parking places
    A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be
    parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place.

link:
    www. dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlBye-Laws2013.pdf

Cienciano wrote: »
    No. But I wouln't even park there on a bike, you can park right up at the door:D

True, me too...but i've never seen them clamp a car for taking up the spaces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

True, me too...but i've never seen them clamp a car for taking up the spaces...

Ever reported one to the management?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement