Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juicing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The first question cannot be answered accurately as it depends where you source your fruit and vegetables ...........

As for your second question it depends on what juicer you use ......... as previously stated if you use a good quality masticating slow cold-press juicer the nutrient loss will be minimal.

A range will suffice?

If solid is left behind, nutrients are left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Although some people do experience slight diahorrea or constipation in the first 3/4 days (afterall juicing is a dramatic lifestyle change for most people) your bowel movements will return to normal ............. in your case there could have been a number of reasons this happened to you .......... you may have rapidly increased the amount of soluble fibre intake compared to your normal diet, the introduction of digestive enzymes released in the juicing process, you may have an underlying tendency toward diarrhea/frequent stools including history of irritable bowel syndrome ........... straight away I can tell you should have added fruit to your juices for the pectin, a green apple for example which keeps you moving along as normal.

Drink plenty of water, electrolyte rich fluids such as unflavoured cocnut water and stay away from juicing gas producing vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

Of course all this advise is irrelevant to you now after the fact as you are probably turned off juicing for life which is a real shame ........... if only you had done it properly in the first place :(

2 questions:
    when you say " the introduction of digestive enzymes released in the juicing process"
    1) are you referring to enzymes coming from the fruit/veg you are juicing?
    2) what is it about the juicing process that releases these enzymes vs just eating the fruit/veg whole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

A range will suffice?

If solid is left behind, nutrients are left behind.

Insoluble fibre is left behind .......... the better your juicer the dryer your pulp will be, the dryer your pulp the more nutrients you will be drinking in your juice :)

Insoluble fibre is left behind .......... the better your juicer the dryer your pulp will be, the dryer your pulp the more nutrients you will be drinking in your juice :)

So...versus eating the fruit/veg?

RGDATA! wrote: »
    2 questions:
    when you say " the introduction of digestive enzymes released in the juicing process"
    1) are you referring to enzymes coming from the fruit/veg you are juicing?
    2) what is it about the juicing process that releases these enzymes vs just eating the fruit/veg whole?

1) Yes
    2) Heat

• Advertisement

So...versus eating the fruit/veg?

Although we do need some insoluble fibre most of the insoluble fibre we take in is waste (ie poo) .......... our bodies juice (in simple terms) our food, extract the nutrients and reject the insoluble fibre (pulp) ......... obviously juicing your food first means you can intake a higher amount/quality of nutrients without your body having to work so hard :)

Although we do need some insoluble fibre most of the insoluble fibre we take in is waste (ie poo) .......... our bodies juice (in simple terms) our food, extract the nutrients and reject the insoluble fibre (pulp) ......... obviously juicing your food first means you can intake a higher amount/quality of nutrients without your body having to work so hard :)

Your body having to work harder to break it down isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

but our body working to digest etc is NORMAL - this is the way its supposed to be done!

Your body having to work harder to break it down isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Not necessarily a bad thing but it all depends on what you've been eating over the years ........... if you've had a really poor low-nutrient diet for a long time (juicing especially benefits those who have) then your body will have been under extreme pressure attempting to extract nutrients from pizza, burgers etc. and will need a break along with plenty of extra nutrients.

As I said, we do need some insoluble fibre partly so that our bodies work hard to break it down ...........

Not necessarily a bad thing but it all depends on what you've been eating over the years ........... if you've had a really poor low-nutrient diet for a long time (juicing especially benefits those who have) then your body will have been under extreme pressure attempting to extract nutrients from pizza, burgers etc. and will need a break along with plenty of extra nutrients.

As I said, we do need some insoluble fibre partly so that our bodies work hard to break it down ...........

But if you haven't spent your life eating pizza and other highly processed carb-dense food?

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    but our body working to digest etc is NORMAL - this is the way its supposed to be done!

It depends on what your body has been digesting over the years ........... it's not normal to eat the way we've been eating as a society over the last couple of decades.

But if you haven't spent your life eating pizza and other highly processed carb-dense food?

I'd say "well done"?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

I have a Philips Juicer use it every morning After Training and before work,

love jucing fruit / Veg

what i normaly have is in the Morning

Lemon, Lime, 2 Apples, 3 Carrots, 1 peach, and maybe a pear..

Orange and Pineapple is nice aswell.

if your Drinking Beetroot like my self cant stand the Earthly Taste, maybe Juice the Beet first then add some Lemon & Lime to kill the Earthly Taste.

It depends on what your body has been digesting over the years ........... it's not normal to eat the way we've been eating as a society over the last couple of decades.

In the history of mankind, when did people juice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This.

In historic terms quite recently, I believe juicing started to develop in the early 50's ............ much like fast food!! :)

papu wrote: »
    This.

LOL!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

That used to be a human's meal before we got lazy and corrupted our bodies ........ we're the only mammal on the planet that cook our food :confused:

something to do with having opposable thumbs......makes cooking easier

cuculainn wrote: »
    something to do with having opposable thumbs......makes cooking easier

Humans can do lots of things with their thumbs ........ not always good things! ;)

In historic terms quite recently, I believe juicing started to develop in the early 50's ............ much like fast food!! :)

Do what our ancestors did with fruit and veg before the advent of fast food and juicing.

Win.

• Advertisement

Do what our ancestors did with fruit and veg before the advent of fast food and juicing.

Win.

By ancestors do you mean cavemen? :D

There's no comparison to our ancestors diets and what/how we eat today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭jh79

There's no comparison to our ancestors diets and what/how we eat today :rolleyes:

Prior to electricity?

True. We have spices to put on meat.

Mmmmm...spices.

But I wouldn't be juicing as some sort of panacea for a bad diet. If your diet is fine, why do you need to juice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

What's a , Paleo diet.

jh79 wrote: »
    Prior to electricity?

Exactly!! They wouldn't juice because they wouldn't have the knowledge we have today and they couldn't juice because they had no electricity!! :D

True. We have spices to put on meat.

Mmmmm...spices.

But I wouldn't be juicing as some sort of panacea for a bad diet. If your diet is fine, why do you need to juice?

If you go to the gym a couple times a week do you need to go 3 or 4 times? No
    Could you benefit from going 3 or 4 times? Yes

If you go to the gym a couple times a week do you need to go 3 or 4 times? No
    Could you benefit from going 3 or 4 times? Yes

I benefit more from eating the fruit and veg.

That's how I roll...makin' logic gainz.

papu wrote: »
    What's a , Paleo diet.

Isn't that what cavemen ate???
    If you're on a paleo diet (I believe?) you can only eat what cavemen could eat ........... so no mars bars for a start!! :D

I benefit more from eating the fruit and veg.

That's how I roll...makin' logic gainz.

I bet I could juice and drink more raw vegetables than you could eat! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭jh79

Exactly!! They wouldn't juice because they wouldn't have the knowledge we have today and they couldn't juice because they had no electricity!! :D

They wouldn't know what a pointless exercise it is if you already have a balanced diet

Advertisement