Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear protection

Options
  • 19-08-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

lads looking for top quality slim line electronic ear muffs. for shooting recommendations please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

lads looking for top quality slim line electronic ear muffs. for shooting recommendations please

Alot of people say these are the best! sports den seams to be the best priced place to buy them but i could be wrong.
    http://www.sportsden.ie/deben-slim-electronic-ear-muffs.html

If your going to the US of A buy a pair of caldwell slim electronic ear muffs for $45, for the price they are very good!
    http://www.cabelas.ca/product/9748/caldwell-e-max-low-profile-electronic-hearing-muff

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

• Registered Users Posts: 31 neil.was.taken

I've read good things about the Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs.

NWT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

The Sordin Pro Range are great but are very pricey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

My Caldwell slim electronic ones broke on their third outing. Now I can only turn them off by pulling the battery out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I've the Deben slim ones and they work grand, I never use the electronic function personally, I've seen data that suggests the electronics in the average set of muffs won't shut off fast enough to prevent damage to your hearing. I just leave it off and use them as passive muffs.

I generally use foam plugs under them too, especially if I'm indoors or shooting under a roof etc. which can increase the volume.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've a set of the Deben slim ones too. Like these:

product_detailed_image_29849_47.jpg

The are good enough, and work as they are supposed to. One thing i find, and don't know whether it's the brand or just mine, but they eat batteries. I left my on by mistake and the next day (was a weekend of shooting) i took them out of my range bag and the batteries were dead.

Now when i turn them off they last, but i have been caught a couple of times with forgetting to turn them off.

I ended up going for a slimline set of non electronic ones, as "backup".

I've seen some other ones, and one lad with a set of molded ear plugs that were electronic. I cannot wear ear plugs, ear problems since i was a kid, so have no idea how effective they are.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

3M Peltor SportTac Electronic Sport Tac

I got these from ebay also and saved €100 on sportsdens price.
    They work very well, very comfortable, i've not replaced the battery since getting them (few months ago). I use mine for both rifle shooting and clay shooting and they were comfortable enough to ware decoying for a day.
    My buddy bought a pair also and hes very pleased with them too.

Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    what are peoples opinion on Napier pro 9 ear defenders

I have a pair very similar to these made by SensGard.

Personally, I don't like wearing them. They kind of feel like wearing a doctor's stethoscope the way they push into your ears.
    As well as that, they're too bulky to wear under a hat and when I tried wearing them over a hat, they weren't long enough to reach my ears (even when fully extended) - and I wouldn't consider my head to be overly big! :P

NWT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Would you consider moulded in ear units, I have a pair and love them, small and u never know you are wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Peltor Sportacs. Can be fiited to Iphone/Ipod and rock out

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just make sure that (a) the things fit properly and (b) they are designed specifically for shooting; the impulse noise from the gunshot has a really, really short rise time, and unless the electronics in the ear protectors can cope with that, they won't kick in in time. To quote the study the Finnish army did on hearing protection back in 2005,
    The peak of a shot impulse is too short for the human ear to hear whether the protector attenuates sufficiently or not. However, high peak levels can enter the hearing organ and can cause significant damage
    In other words, if your hearing protection isn't up to snuff, you won't know it until you go deaf because the damage is being done so fast that you physically can't sense it happening. The good news is that the electronics have gotten better since then; but the bad news is that we still can't grow you a new pair of ears if you don't choose a set of protectors that are up to snuff.

They evaluated a few headsets in that study, the Peltor H7s seemed to do fairly well, but those results are a decade old now and I've not found anything more recent since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The MSA Sordin have the advantage that they are waterproof!

The Debenture are not and five trouble in any sort of drizzle.

I have both and much prefer the Sordins.

I also got the gel ear pads for the Sordin which, as well as being very comfortable, add to the noise seal and mould better around the earpieces of your shooting glasses!

Baker.22 wrote: »
    Would you consider moulded in ear units, I have a pair and love them, small and u never know you are wearing them

Where did you get them and how much were they if you don't mind me asking?

Does anyone think there will be a CENS Digital stall or similar at Birr this weekend?

NWT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

From what I gather the best people to speak with is the Ear Clinic in Ecceles street, opposite the Mater private hospital.
    Been doing some research and they seem to have the total solutions.
    Spoke to a lady there today called Nina,who told me they can go from €50 -€700, so you have to be able to find something thats suitable.
    I have an appointment there tomorrow and will update with what they have.
    My Peltors are good but getting in my way , so I am looking for inserts like cens.

I got the passive Cens last year and haven't looked back they were about 100 Inc fitting and a check up !

Mine are the same as normal without the electronic insert, They come with a passive block that you can swap out for the electronics in about 30 seconds. The electronics are about 400 on their own and 600 for the multi programme ones!

It leaves me the option to upgrade whenever I like!!

cw67irl wrote: »
    I got the passive Cens last year and haven't looked back

Where did you get the moulds taken?

NWT

Hearing Aid place in Capel St,Dublin Same place took care of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 37 guerrilla podge

i was talking to lads and they saying that moulded plugs arent much use as they dont change withe the shape of your ear when your jaw bone is moving which would obvisouly break the seal.

i dont mind spending money on keeping my hearing even ho have already some damage done.
    at least if nothing else this thread will help lads protect their hearing

thanks for links and suggestions and opinions lads and keep them coming.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I started to use the moulded passive ear plugs this summer and think thier very good. Easy to fit, good sound protection and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1cy0aoNTw

They are about €35 plus shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Where did you get them and how much were they if you don't mind me asking?

Does anyone think there will be a CENS Digital stall or similar at Birr this weekend?

NWT

I got them in Dublin, they are cens passive, may sometime upgrade to active but don't think I need them at present, look up cens for ireland, hearing shop on caple street Dublin, took 10 minutes to make mould, sent to your house 2 weeks later, cost around €110

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Called into the Ear Clinic in Eccels street yesterday and got fitted for Cens passive ear inserts.
    Took 10/15 minutes, will have them back in 2weeks. Cost €120.
    You can order them in any colours, and once they have your mould they can upgrade you to electronic off the shelf... but that costs €450.
    Very happy with the service and quality of the Cens and the girl who fits you is an audiologist and she shoots , so she understands what you are looking for.

My biggest fear with using passive hearing protection is I won't hear a pheasant that flushes from behind me etc. That being said I don't have €400+ to spend on the electronic moulded CENS either.

NWT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Eo1n8wrd wrote: »

excellent use them all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-EAR-DEFENDERS-DEFENCE-PELTOR-CE95-MILITARY-ISSUE-HUNTING-SHOOTING-/321320185675?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4ad02cef4b

Cheap and cheerful, Got mine Monday, they are the Peltor H61FA ones, only sign of use is the name of the lad they were issued to written on the headband.

I got mine at 8.50ea and bought a couple of pairs

Advertisement