Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help identifying engine bars

• 19-08-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any clue what these engine bars/frame on this TDM900 are?
    Can't seem to find them anywhere.

photo_zpsa44ef8b7.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ugly....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ugly....??

And the make of them is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be custom built.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Could be custom built.

Yeah, that did cross my mind alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Yeah, theres oodles of engine bars out there, but these i've only seen here...

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1319.45

• Advertisement

You could try contacting Heavyduties.ro , see if they will make a set for you?

Yeah, theres oodles of engine bars out there, but these i've only seen here...

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1319.45
    You could try contacting Heavyduties.ro , see if they will make a set for you?

Cheers lads!
    I dropped that crowd an email there!

Have you or anyone you know dealt with them before?

blade1 wrote: »
    Cheers lads!
    I dropped that crowd an email there!

Have you or anyone you know dealt with them before?
    Well regarded in the ADV websites I lurk on.
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/honda-tech/transalp-650-questions-69691
    http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/116249-heavyduties-ro.html

Great!!
    That has helped me out a lot!
    Thanks very much!!!!

Alex from Heavyduties got back to me.
    No joy unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Shame, have you tried Carpe TDM? Bound to be someone on there that would give you a lead on a lightbar.
    Nice bikes the 900, been keeping an eye on a few myself with a view to getting one.

Shame, have you tried Carpe TDM? Bound to be someone on there that would give you a lead on a lightbar.
    Nice bikes the 900, been keeping an eye on a few myself with a view to getting one.

I have yeah!
    I'd highly recommend the tdm.
    I'm using it as an everyday bike.
    My other bikes haven't being getting much notice since I got it.
    As an all rounder it is perfect.
    Lovely fun bike to ride. Suspension could do with being upgraded but I've fiddled with it a lot and found a happy enough medium.
    Not too many 900's about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I think the 900s have a dipstick for checking oil too, the 850s has a window which is a pain, cause it also doesn't have a centre stand, so you end up balancing the bike with one hand as you crouch down with a torch to check the level. Thankfully since I got the rings and seals done it hasn't lost a drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any clue what these engine bars/frame on this TDM900 are?
    Can't seem to find them anywhere.

photo_zpsa44ef8b7.png

Luis, from Argentina - for that is the guys name, and the guy who owns that bike in the pic(s), sent me a message today and.................he has no idea: they were on the bike when he bought them........!!

the search continues !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Luis, from Argentina - for that is the guys name, and the guy who owns that bike in the pic(s), sent me a message today and.................he has no idea: they were on the bike when he bought them........!!

the search continues !!

Ha ha, I had asked him already!
    A worldwide mystery alright...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

btw, a friend of mine swears by TDM's, and builds bikes for a living.

His first TDM, and 850, was borne out of a need to simplify rebuilding his 4-cylinder CBX750, and came to the realisation that a good modern twin would be better.

So, he got one and eventually, as mentioned above, found the suspension limiting, and spent time/money getting it to handle properly. That done, he needed more power and sent it to Tony Scott for blueprinting..........the rev counter needle just falls from one side ot the other now, such is it's balance - it's amazing.

But, he'd caught up with the limits of suspension and handling again, so took the ultimate step of making his own...............well, it is what he does for a living !!............2 years later, he ended up with this:

20130709_130314-M.jpg

20130709_130344-M.jpg

20130709_130441-M.jpg

20130709_130437-M.jpg

20130709_124432-M.jpg

Brief Spec:
    Tony Scott balanced TDM (900 iirc) engine
    MotoGP spec forks (ex-Suzuki works team.....)
    AP Lockheed Racing brakes......
    Magnesium wheels (yes, really)
    Custom-made alloy 24 litre petrol tank (!)
    Reynolds tubing oil-in-frame....... and swingarm - all made by owner
    Adjustable steering head angle
    Triumph T595 fairing & lights
    Ducati 916 rear bodywork, modified..
    Quick release luggage rack, all in s/steel tubing....
    One-off stainless exhaust mimicking 916...
    All custom bodywork: seat, side panels, inner skin of fairing (everything is hidden), rear hugger etc .......all made by owner

All-up weight, complete: 162kg

That's lighter than a Moto GP bike !

Rides like a weightless butterfly - more like a 250.

Is it fragile ? No.
    Is it temperamental ? No.
    Is it reliable ? - Hell yes, as seen in these pics, he has covered 90,000 miles on it !!

If ever there was a 'special' I'd want - his is it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Jesus, that's some job alright, wouldn't mind a cut off her!
    I see the oil goes in the frame, same as my Mastiff.

Very like an improved and developed TRX, maybe if Yamaha had continued developing that bike it would look like that but not as polished and refined.

Advertisement