Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year off topic 2014/15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Does anyone know what the best deal is for a Bus Eireann travel pass thingy? The website is so confusing :/

Just ask in the bus station, the website is a absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AoifeFaa

My night was ok, I was wrecked from the whole week so didn't stay out too long. Which ones are you doing tomorrow?

Likewise....that orientation day dragged on....I was shattered. I have no clue..I really need to figure out that whole "timetable" scenario...and then I guess the lab one is important....referencing and note taking....Can't go to all three though...I don't know...how about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

At least your orientation didn't last 2 days, 8 to half 3 & pretty much the same the following day. Two long days

I just want to start already, its been over a month since I was accepted into ucc.

First work shop for me is understanding your timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Does anyone know much about the Freshers Ball? What exactly happens at it, is it just like a regular disco or is it quite formal? What sort of clothes would you be expected to wear? Does anyone know from past experience if it's any good? Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Does anyone know much about the Freshers Ball? What exactly happens at it, is it just like a regular disco or is it quite formal? What sort of clothes would you be expected to wear? Does anyone know from past experience if it's any good? Thank you :D

I was informed that lads should wear suits, whereas girls were (thankfully :pac:) to avoid long dresses, so construe from that what you will.

I'm not a reliable source though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

I was informed that lads should wear suits, whereas girls were (thankfully :pac:) to avoid long dresses, so construe from that what you will.

I'm not a reliable source though :o

Actually, on the Freshers Facebook page there was a poll about whether it should be formal or not, and we voted not formal so just regular nights out clothes I guess :)

Does anyone know what the best deal is for a Bus Eireann travel pass thingy? The website is so confusing :/

I think a monthly is €69.50 for city and €76.50 for city and suburban, plus a €3 charge the first time for an I.D. card :)

Actually, on the Freshers Facebook page there was a poll about whether it should be formal or not, and we voted not formal so just regular nights out clothes I guess :)
    Ah god, I was looking forward to suiting up :( At least the girls will be more appealing in non-formal attire :pac:
    I think a monthly is €69.50 for city and €76.50 for city and suburban, plus a €3 charge the first time for an I.D. card :)
    I got the city one for €65.50, I must still sort out the ID card. I'm on the bus having used it now :)

Nice one, wasn't 100% sure about that!

You going to the DisOrientation party tonight? :)

Thanks for the replies, guys! Hope everyone has a good Freshers Week :D

annnnd tomorrow the adventure finally begins. eeeek freshers week!!!!!!! woot!!!!

Is it true that the timetable we received on Orientation Day doesn't include tutorials and other classes and that these will be added on in coming weeks?

Yup, we won't have them until 2nd week. So this week will b grand. :-):-)

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Yup, we won't have them until 2nd week. So this week will b grand. :-):-)

Ah I see, thanks :) do you know if there's usually much extra added to the pre-existing timetable? It's just I'm quite happy with my hours now :P

12 hours of lectures + 12 hours of lab/tutorials is the norm I think :p

Nice one, wasn't 100% sure about that!

You going to the DisOrientation party tonight? :)

No bother! :cool:

And yeah I went to it, 'twas decent, although at first it felt slightly like a GAA disco :pac:

How did everyone else find it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Anyone know if there are microwaves available in the dining areas?

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Does the no.5 bus take you out to the Western Gateway building or do you need to take a different bus? :p

I should have checked this out before the night before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Does the no.5 bus take you out to the Western Gateway building or do you need to take a different bus? :p

I should have checked this out before the night before :pac:

208 stops outside the door.205 stops on the road running parallel.closest 205 stop is only about 5 mins away anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

blow69 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are microwaves available in the dining areas?

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

I know for definite the common room has ones, I think the mini rest (above the main rest) might have some, the others I'm not so sure about!

Is there anywhere I can get free hot water without feeling like I'm stealing from the student centre café? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Is there anywhere I can get free hot water without feeling like I'm stealing from the student centre café? :o

Main rest, you can get free hot water but they'll charge you for taking it in one of the paper cups (about 20cent).

I got an email to my umail saying I've been unsubscribed from the undergrads mailing list....? :confused:

No bother! :cool:

And yeah I went to it, 'twas decent, although at first it felt slightly like a GAA disco :pac:

How did everyone else find it? :)

Yeah it kind of did but it was grand after a few €3.50 cans :rolleyes:

I take it most of ye will be around for the clubs day on Tuesday? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Did anyone walk through the quad ?
    I was about to until I heard it's only for your graduation .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladygem

Hi any extra tickets to Freshers Ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

EoghanIRL wrote: »

NO, you'll fail all your exams if you do! :P
    You're not allowed on the grass either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

First day of lectures = madness. Quite excited now :D

Mine start tomorrow but they are evening ones :L

Still excited though . Hopefully it will be a fun 5 years :)

had a sociology class this morning and there was people sitting on the stage it was that full.

Gonna love environmental geography :-):-)

Who here is doing geography??

3 hour lecture tomorrow :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Just don't walk on the grass or you'll fail your exams!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    had a sociology class this morning and there was people sitting on the stage it was that full.

Don't worry, that'll pass!

Quick word of advice to first years: When you're in any of the Boole lecture theatres, for the love of god shut up during your lectures. You may be sitting in the middle or at the very back and think you're being "respectful" by whispering, but we can still hear you up at the very front. It's annoying and anything but respectful. If you want to chat then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

Byron85 wrote: »
    Don't worry, that'll pass!

Quick word of advice to first years: When you're in any of the Boole lecture theatres, for the love of god shut up during your lectures. You may be sitting in the middle or at the very back and think you're being "respectful" by whispering, but we can still hear you up at the very front. It's annoying and anything but respectful. If you want to chat then go somewhere else.

Already getting this ****e and we're not even a week in! So annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jess232

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Is anyone doing biomedical science ucc/cit? I dunno can I do ucc freshers week and I really want to!

I'm actually a 4th year biomed in UCC and CIT. you're a full student of both, so you can participate in both colleges events. Some things that go for each college don't fly in our course though, so its a bit difficult... You have two student numbers, two email accounts..... two timetables, so put them together yourself to make it easier to follow.

As for modules, not alot the same as Pharmacy actually.... alot the same as Biochem, but in second and third year mainly, the majority of subjects in first year are CIT modules. However, just because a module is run by CIT, you may actually have the class on UCC grounds.

Let me know if you wana ask anything else!

No you are good. Seeing as you wouldn't be dealing with patients, you wouldn't need it .The full list of courses is on page 17 of the thing I got in the post .

no, you need three Hep B injections and a blood test for Biomed :/... we dont deal with patients, but we do deal with their bodily samples and fluids which is possibly even more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Ive had no internet the past 2 weeks while living the wild life in cork :pac::pac:

Saturday night I absolutely plagued everyone running around in a tipp jersey and I went to bodega last night with a fake mustache on.
    Im that girl :pac:

Also I've been out every night for freshers and ive had a 9am lecture every morning - about to sleep for 24 hrs :P

jess232 wrote: »
    no, you need three Hep B injections and a blood test for Biomed :/... we dont deal with patients, but we do deal with their bodily samples and fluids which is possibly even more dangerous.

Ok but it's not on the ucc list of required courses .

My bloods came back all clear . :cool:

Ok but it's not on the ucc list of required courses .

My bloods came back all clear . :cool:

nope, its not, they spring it on you on the very first day when you go to CIT orientation. Both colleges sometimes leave it up to the other to relay certain info.

just said id say so, seeing as one of the girls asked, and there is in fact injections required.

Has anyone joined the Ultimate Frisbee club? :)

Yes I was at training today . Were you there ?

Yeah I was at training Wednesday too! :D I was on one of the red teams at the end, but we were only allowed play every second point :(
    Are you going to the beginner welcome party tonight? :)

just submitted my first assignment. sigh now just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Stupid question guys, but where's the Old Bar? Is that the one by the Kane building? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Aye! Old Bar is upstairs near to the Kane, across from the Windle Building. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

magicianz wrote: »
    Aye! Old Bar is upstairs near to the Kane, across from the Windle Building. :)

Cheers ;)

How's everyone finding college now that we're all (hopefully) settled down a bit? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Many modules, much confusion, FYPs chosen. Out of the system in 8 months yeow!

nearly fell asleep during environmental geography. it's not that i don't grasp it, it's just there's not much learning. although loving applied geography and the rest of my subjects. although i will say philosophy is making me go wtf several times during the class.

but yeah settling nicely

I have to say the flame lab is actually state of the art . I am quite impressed with it.

Also 9 o clock lectures :/