Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased Motor Premium with justification.

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for info.

A family member has a taxi business. 2 years ago there was an incident. The insurance company increased their motor premium by €5K yes €5k and also did the same the following year. The claim (involving a child was settled for only €600). Where does my relation stand in relation to this increased premium of €10K ? Should they be entitled to €9400 back.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No is the short answer, no entitlement, no hope of a refund. (I HATE that word 'Entitlement') You bought something, you paid for it.
    Even if the claim was settled for €600, what were the legal costs and other fees? Would you have liked to pay another €50,000 if the claim was settled for €50,600?
    Premium is risk-rated, your rel had a claim, so is a higher risk. . Talk to your broker, see if s/he can do something for the next renewal..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

No is the short answer, no entitlement, no hope of a refund. (I HATE that word 'Entitlement') You bought something, you paid for it.
    Even if the claim was settled for €600, what were the legal costs and other fees? Would you have liked to pay another €50,000 if the claim was settled for €50,600?
    Premium is risk-rated, your rel had a claim, so is a higher risk. . Talk to your broker, see if s/he can do something for the next renewal..

From what I know, it did not go to court. They changed brokers in the meantime and Insurance Company as this matter nearly put them out of business. A different insurance company took them on at normal type premium.

Thanks for your reply anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Just found out that the previous insurer has in fact offered them a partial refund after a solicitor got involved. I don't know all the details but the refund is substantial.

Advertisement