Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does "Do you need help" annoy you when your browsing in a "tech shop"

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    when you walk into the shops like pc world and maplins and other "tech shops" and your asked by several different people "can i help you " when you having a browse of new items/special offers piss you off. Quite frankly it makes me want to just leave.
    especially because you know if you ask them anything anyways technical you know they wouldn't have a clue to being with.

thoughts ?

does "do you need help" annoy you when you are browsing in a "tech shop" 24 votes

yes- I hate it
    0% 0 votes
    somewhat
    37% 9 votes
    no
    33% 8 votes
    i quite like it
    29% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Depends on the reason. If it was a genuine offer of help (and not a very obvious plot to garner commission) then I might have a natter / ask their advice. I wouldn't test their knowledge or try to trick them, nor would I want to waste their time either if there was another customer who actually needed the help.

Usually the "No thank, I'm just browsing." line suffices and it doesn't ruin the rest of my day or make me want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Depends on the reason. If it was a genuine offer of help (and not a very obvious plot to garner commission) then I might have a natter / ask their advice. I wouldn't test their knowledge or try to trick them, nor would I want to waste their time either if there was another customer who actually needed the help.

Usually the "No thank, I'm just browsing." line suffices and it doesn't ruin the rest of my day or make me want to leave.
    im mainly talking when the shop may only have 5-10 people in it and maybe 6/7 staff on the floor and your asked my 3 or 4 people do you need help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

bpb101 wrote: »
    im mainly talking when the shop may only have 5-10 people in it and maybe 6/7 staff on the floor and your asked my 3 or 4 people do you need help

"No thanks, I'm just browsing." times 3 (or 4).

Again, I don't lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Just doing their job. Don't let it bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

degsie wrote: »
    Just doing their job. Don't let it bother you.
    oh i know they are just doing their job. Dont get mew wrong , my point is this idea of asking customers do they need help as they(head office) presume that are unable or shy to ask if they need something and thus make their employees ask people do they need help.

I know this is just more of a rant thread than anything else, but however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

yea,i dont mind being asked once,but after that,yea it is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

The last time I was in PC World in Blanchardstown I was asked 5 times within 15 minutes. Twice by the same person.

I didn't stay long after that. If I need help I'll ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the lack of stuff they actually sell despite branding themselves as a "PC World". Went in for a sata cable, they don't sell them. Normally I just go into tech shops to laugh on the inside at the prices they charge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If they work for a chain then they probably get mystery shoppers in who check how long it takes to be approached and also what questions they get asked. So yeah, I don't mind as they'll get a bollocking from their manager if they don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I f**ing hate people doing their job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I have seen sata cables in pc world...

But anyway, yeah it gets on my tits, same with clothes shops. And then when you do find what you want to buy and you have a question or need them to get you a boxed product they are nowhere to be found or with other customers talking Shiite.

Got a gift voucher for arnotts recently and we went in to buy a fridge, guy came over and asked if we needed help, said just looking at the minute. Then when we had decided which one to buy, he was with some arsehole looking at ranges humming and hawing over which color to get, we were waiting about 15 minutes sitting at a desk for the sale to be put through. Would've walked out if we hadn't had the gift voucher. Lol first world problems :-P

And the retailers wonder why we are using their bricks and mortar shops to choose products and then buying online from wherever is cheapest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Look like you know what you're at and they won't bother you and if they do approach you, ask about something really cheap like in PC World you could ask if they sell cheap HDMI cables or printer paper, they'll quickly lose interest in you.

Advertisement