Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi in UL

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Going into first year in UL in a few weeks, I'll be staying in Cappavilla and I'm just wondering what way the internet access is set up there? I've read that there's a wired Ethernet connection available through the UL network. Anyone know how fast this is / if it's any good? Can I buy a router and connect it for wifi? Would I better off to get a dongle from O2 or vodafone or somewhere?
    Any help appreciated, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

In the villages you get a wired connection in your room and that's it. They get very upset if people plug in wireless routes in the villages. From what I've heard the connection speed is fine up there. There are some restrictions on what can be accessed e.g. torrents.

On campus, there is free wireless but it can be hit and miss, especially in busy places. This is just a feature of 802.11 wireless in general: it can't handle a lot of users at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Chimaera wrote: »
    In the villages you get a wired connection in your room and that's it. They get very upset if people plug in wireless routes in the villages. From what I've heard the connection speed is fine up there. There are some restrictions on what can be accessed e.g. torrents.

On campus, there is free wireless but it can be hit and miss, especially in busy places. This is just a feature of 802.11 wireless in general: it can't handle a lot of users at the same time.

Thanks for the quick response, I understand there'll be restrictions on the connection but as long as it's not painfully slow I think I'll survive. I might just get by with using 3G on my phone, guess I'll see when I get there!
    Thanks for the response and your advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The internet on campus is very fast, I've got download speeds of up to 20 megabytes a second when I was living in Thomond a few years back.

Perfect for whatever you want to do. HD movie downloading, gaming, streaming etc

As far as I know, its against on campus rules to use a wifi router, (thats not to say I haven't seen it done on many occasions but just so your warned).

Best of luck with 1st year mate, I'm just heading into my final ever week (after starting back in 2008).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Wired internet in accommodation could be a problem for me as I have the latest MBP which has no Gigabyte Ethernet port...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Wired internet in accommodation could be a problem for me as I have the latest MBP which has no Gigabyte Ethernet port...

http://www.pixmania.ie/ethernet-network-card/trendnet-tu2-et-10010-100-mbps-usb-to-ethernet-adapter/01316530-a.html ?

• Advertisement

Ah didn't know that was possible. Can't buy that one Copper as I don't have a disc drive in my mbp. Looked at Apple.ie website and they have a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Connection for sale. Will have to get that!

Just to further reassure you.

I just remembered that the speed test in my signature was done when I was living in Thomond Village on campus internet.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just to further reassure you.

I just remembered that the speed test in my signature was done when I was living in Thomond Village on campus internet.

You have no ping though, and would that be the same throughout in other on-campus accommodations?

Well that is from 2009 but I don't know why the ping is not there.

I am in the 24hr postgrad room in the main building right now and just did another speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3701933503
    65.5Mb down
    44.8Mb up
    Ping: 19ms

There is no difference in speeds no matter where you are on campus.

In saying that, the wireless networks can have their issues from time to time.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well that is from 2009 but I don't know why the ping is not there.

I am in the 24hr postgrad room in the main building right now and just did another speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3701933503
    65.5Mb down
    44.8Mb up
    Ping: 19ms

There is no difference in speeds no matter where you are on campus.

In saying that, the wireless networks can have their issues from time to time.

Hope this helps

That's fine then. Was a bit strange of it not showing the ping. The internet speeds are way faster than what I have at home (6 up, 5 down..).

That's was helpful of you so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Connectivity in UL is pretty good.
    http://www.hea.net/mrtg/ul3.html shows the connectivity speed and usage. Currently 10GigE fiber. Commnet have done a fairly good job of dividing that up fairly amongst the users, so I've not seen many issues with throughput or capacity except in areas where there are a lot of wireless devices on the local wireless access points. At those times, 4g mobile connectivity is definitely faster but that's pretty much the only time. If you're on a wired connection you pretty much have LAN speed to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 El Nacho

I lived in Cappa last year and had my router in plain site and management said nothing to me. Same for Dromroe the year previous so I reckon it's just to stop everybody making a small microwave out of the house. 1/2 shouldn't be an issue though

Advertisement