Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Can someone please explain these to me and what ones i can do? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pigsinablanket

You can choose anything as an elective.
    Doing arts, you can take a biology module(subject).
    I chose Chinese as my elective in first year.
    If you're studying artsyouu only get 1 elective for first year as itss mandatory to take intro to arts as the other elective (its a core module)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Really? That isn't nice cos I am going to be doing the BA Joint Honours in English and History next year. And on the website it says you have to have 1 elective but can have two and I really wanted to do Classics: Greek and Roman Civilization and Classics: Latin.

Welll you need another subject.
    But unless you took classics for first year you won't be able to do both the modules in first year.
    I just realised I made it seem like you didn't get a choice, but I did Chinese as my elective last year. Worst decision of my life.

But in first year you can do 4 subjects, 3 is a must as its to give you choice and not be stuck with a subject you detest. Do you know the other subject your going to pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You can still take your subjects. You could take 4 English, 4 History, 2 classics and 1 Latin (and 1 humanities).
    Or you could take 3 English, 3 History, 3 Classics, 2 Latin and the Humanities.

You don't have to take all 4 English/History modules to continue to second year, you just have to take the Core modules or minimum.
    English has 2 core modules, Literature in Context 1 and 2. History has none, but you must complete at least 2 modules to continue to second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Now I am confused. The below I don't understand?
    Welll you need another subject.
    But unless you took classics for first year you won't be able to do both the modules in first year.

So can I do the Greek & Roman Civiliazation and the Latin with my two other choices of English and History? And obviously the core Humanitites module? Or do I have to choose one of them or something

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »

So can I do the Greek & Roman Civiliazation and the Latin with my two other choices of English and History? And obviously the core Humanitites module? Or do I have to choose one of them or something

You can.
    Sorry my brain is deciding that I can't write anything that makes sense today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

hdowney wrote: »

Right, you have 12 modules each year and most people will take 6 each semester, but you can split them 7/5 if you like.
    In first year English and History there are only 4 modules offered, so you would have 4 left over. 2 of these are electives which can be used in any subject in UCD (one is taken by the humanities module). This leaves you with 2 'normal' modules empty. However, these must be filled and can only be filled using Arts subjects. In second year, these would get used up by English and History.

So, if you take all 4 English and History Modules, you have 4 modules left. 2 electives and 2 normal. 1 elective is taken by Humanities.
    Since classics is the school of arts, you can use your 'normal' slots here and maybe use the elective for Latin.

On a side note, the humanities module is only offered in semester 1, so you might have to be choosy about some modules

Advertisement