Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer for Wildlife Conservation Work in Africa

Options
  • 20-08-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So as the title suggests, I'm considering getting away from it all and going to Africa to do some conservation work involving wildlife. I'm coming to the final stages of my Ph.D and hope to be finished up around Christmas after which I plan to take a break and have a bit of free time on my hands. I've always been fascinated with Africa and, in particular, the wildlife such as elephants, lions, zebras, giraffes, etc (I think watching The Lion King on repeat as a child had some kind of effect on me). As such I would really like to visit places like Kenya, Tanzania or Botswana and instead of just a holiday I'd like to spend maybe 2 months or so doing some conservation work in one of these places.

I've been doing some research online and there seems to be plenty of opportunities and lots of various companies looking for volunteers. I'm not sure about the credentials of all these companies so I'm looking for some information/feedback from anyone here who has done something similar before? Any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I'm thinking about going to south africa to voluteer in a wildlife park for a year. Have you followed through on this? I've been looking at a few websites and a lot of them are very expensive with a lot of them only offering up to two months.

Advertisement